Author Topic: NRA Files Second Amended Complaint in Heller v. D.C.  (Read 9050 times)

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
NRA Files Second Amended Complaint in Heller v. D.C.
« on: March 28, 2009, 12:34:39 AM »

NRA Files Second Amended Complaint in Heller v. D.C.

Friday, March 27, 2009

NRA filed a second amended complaint in Dick Anthony Heller et al v. District of Columbia in U.S. District Court. NRA and other plaintiffs are asking the court to issue a preliminary and permanent injunction to prevent the D.C. Council from implementing laws that violate the Second Amendment and from enforcing its prohibitions on the possession of commonly owned firearms.

NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox said, “It’s time to fully restore the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding residents in the District of Columbia. The D.C. Council’s latest gun registration scheme is proof of its continued contempt for the Supreme Court.”

NRA filed the original suit last summer after D.C. enacted a restrictive gun registration law in response to the landmark Supreme Court decision in the first District of Columbia v. Heller.  The historic Heller decision struck down D.C.’s long-standing ban on handguns and self-defense in the home.  The second amended complaint challenges D.C.’s current laws, which will become permanent in early April if not vetoed by Congress.

Under the current D.C. law, prospective gun owners are required to pass a written test graded at the sole discretion of the Metropolitan Police Department.  They must also have vision better or equal to that required to get a driver’s license (even for those who just want to possess a collector’s item), submit employment history for the past five years and surrender all handguns for ballistics testing, among other restrictions.  The current D.C. law is more stringent than California’s draconian gun laws and bans many firearms commonly owned and used for self-defense.  Failure to satisfy these onerous requirements can result in fines of up to $5,000 and up to five years in prison.

" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
Re: NRA Files Second Amended Complaint in Heller v. D.C.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 12:49:54 AM »
It's about time. I was wondering when this was going to happen. ???

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 12:55:53 AM »
The NRA has been pushing them but I think they've been giving them enough rope to let them hang themselves.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

gun nut

• Life Member
  • this is my rifle and here is a pistol....
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 01:17:02 AM »
we should make dc a state so they can get real laws
Gun control is hitting your target