Author Topic: Accepted Courses?  (Read 3848 times)

scrovak

Accepted Courses?
« on: February 12, 2013, 04:34:34 PM »
What courses are accepted for DE CCW?  The details are rather fuzzy, and as best I can tell, any course offered by an NRA certified instructor works.  Does that include FL courses, UT courses, etc?  I did some digging abck through 2011 in this subforum, but I couldn't find anything about it, so sorry if this has already been asked.

-J

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Re: Accepted Courses?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 05:14:42 PM »
Check out the Section Training Classes here.

Wife and I just finished the course offered by Dave and his son Jeff at First State Firearms. Located near Bear, costs were 150.00 and its a 1 day course from 8:30am through 4pm roughly. They are great and can work with you if you need additional help or breaking it over 2 days, etc. Many people here have used them.

scrovak

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 06:14:26 PM »
Thanks.  I checked through there, but unfortunately I couldn't find anything stipulating what counts as a qualifying course.  So I did some in-depth research and found the following outline for exactly what the course is required to have:

Delaware Code
TITLE 11

Crimes and Criminal Procedure
Delaware Criminal Code

CHAPTER 5. SPECIFIC OFFENSES

Subchapter VII. Offenses Against Public Health, Order and Decency

ยง 1441. License to carry concealed deadly weapons.

(3) Every such applicant shall file in the office of the Prothonotary of the proper county the application verified by oath or affirmation in writing taken before an officer authorized by the laws of this State to administer the same, and shall under such verification state that the applicant's certificate and recommendation were read to or by the signers thereof and that the signatures thereto are in the proper and genuine handwriting of each. Prior to the issuance of an initial license the person shall also file with the Prothonotary a notarized certificate signed by an instructor or authorized representative of a sponsoring agency, school, organization or institution certifying that the applicant: (i) has completed a firearms training course which contains at least the below described minimum elements; and (ii) is sponsored by a federal, state, county or municipal law enforcement agency, a college, a nationally recognized organization that customarily offers firearms training, or a firearms training school with instructors certified by a nationally recognized organization that customarily offers firearms training. The firearms training, course shall include the following elements:

a. Instruction regarding knowledge and safe handling of firearms;

b. Instruction regarding safe storage of firearms and child safety;

c. Instruction regarding knowledge and safe handling of ammunition;

d. Instruction regarding safe storage of ammunition and child safety;

e. Instruction regarding safe firearms shooting fundamentals;

f. Live fire shooting exercises conducted on a range, including the expenditure of a minimum of 100 rounds of ammunition;

g. Identification of ways to develop and maintain firearm shooting skills;

h. Instruction regarding federal and state laws pertaining to the lawful purchase, ownership, transportation, use and possession of firearms;

i. Instruction regarding the laws of this State pertaining to the use of deadly force for self defense; and

j. Instruction regarding techniques for avoiding a criminal attack and how to manage a violent confrontation, including conflict resolution.

Hopefully this helps others seeking the same information.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 08:33:43 PM »
If I understand your question correctly, I think you will need a Delaware class for a Delaware CCDW. Although it doesn't specifically stat that, "I" is what would trip you up.
I - instruction regarding the laws of this state..........
A FL training class wouldn't provide info on DE specific laws.
New Castle County

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 11:41:55 PM »
I agree. You probably will need to take a course here in Delaware. The only way to be sure is to ask the Attorney General's office.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Newlife503

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 01:42:45 AM »

Wife and I just finished the course offered by Dave and his son Jeff at First State Firearms. Located near Bear, costs were 150.00 and its a 1 day course from 8:30am through 4pm roughly. They are great and can work with you if you need additional help or breaking it over 2 days, etc. Many people here have used them.

I'm scheduled for his class on saturday.  When I spoke to Dave to sign up he answered all my questions and then some I didn't even think to ask.  He was on the phone with me for like 20 mins making sure I understood the whole application process and was just a huge resource of valuable info.  I can't wait for saturday!
NRA Life Member
DSSA Member
DE,PA,FL,UT CC Permits
New Castle County

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 01:58:50 AM »

I'm scheduled for his class on saturday.  When I spoke to Dave to sign up he answered all my questions and then some I didn't even think to ask.  He was on the phone with me for like 20 mins making sure I understood the whole application process and was just a huge resource of valuable info.  I can't wait for saturday!

Glad to hear. We had lots of laughs during the class and got a few great tips while at the range as well.