Author Topic: Canada - Some general firearms info  (Read 3297 times)

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Canada - Some general firearms info
« on: March 16, 2013, 10:54:42 AM »
I've had a few people ask me about this and I've noticed a few Canadian references to firearms. Figured I'd share a bit of information on Canadian firearms possession and acquisition here for those interested. If anyone has any questions after reading this feel free to ask. I've read up and talked to a lot of people in Canada over the last year regarding rules, laws and the future of Canadian firearms. I don't know everything for sure but I've beat through a lot of false information out there. My main reason for looking into all this is because I wish to transport firearms into Canada, at times, while visiting family and friends. I've also purchased a handgun as a gift for my father, in Canada, and needed to learn how to go about getting it to him.. legally.

First.. Canada's gun registration is defunct. Its been closed and done away with.. Finally! (except in Quebec) About 19 years ago it came into being and shortly there after it lead to confiscation! After 19 years it was shown that registered firearms are not the firearms used in violence or robberies, for the most part. That and the fact that 100s of millions of dollars for the program has been unaccounted for! Lesson learned for Canada, perhaps the US government should look a bit north and take a lesson.

Secondly Canada's Prime Minister Stephen Harper is very much Pro-Gun and actually works along side the growing gun lobby.

There are a lot of firearms in Canada today.. and more every month. Last I read it was close to 3 million now. It is nothing like it is here in the US but the population difference is night and day. NY state has more people in it then all of Canada which is 1/4 more land mass then all of the US.

Canada has 3 classes of firearms.. Non-Restricted, Restricted & Prohibited.
  • Non-Restricted - semi-auto rifles, shotguns w/barrels over 18.5"; singleshot or manual repeating rifles or shotguns of any length.
  • Restricted - most handguns, semi-auto rifles and shotguns w/barrels between 4.14" & 18.5" & are not otherwise prohibited.
  • Prohibited - handguns w/barrels less then 4.14"; any .25 or .32 handgun; sawed off shotguns/rifles; full auto; any firearm prohibited by regulations.

Note that ALL Replica firearms are prohibited! Antique firearms, anything before 1898, are not considered firearms and are not regulated or licensed. There are still quite a few Prohibited firearms in Canada such as full autos, sawed off shotguns, etc however they are Grandfathered down through family members only. Unfortunately they are not (often) permitted to be sold, traded or given away except to law enforcement for disposal. Airguns up to 499/fps can be purchased by anyone 18 years of age and can be found in many stores like hardware stores, sports stores and places like Canadian Tire. Airguns over 500/fps is classed as a Restricted firearm.

In order to purchase a firearm you need to take a course for your P.A.L. (Possession & Acquisition License). This is a 2-3 night course that runs about 50.00 depending on where you live as each province might charge different. When taking the course you need to specify which of the 2 Non-Restricted or Restricted classes you want. *Its funny since if you want a handgun you need to take the Restricted class. : ) Kinda backwards if you think about it but I get a kick out of it.

Once you have taken the course and have your PAL cert you are free to purchase any of the Non-Restricted firearms. If its a Restricted you are required to be a member of a gun club. Once a member you go to a gunshop, buy/order your handgun, AR-15, etc. This is the part that SUCKS.. Before leaving the shop with your Restricted firearm you need to contact the Chief Firearms Officer for the province you're in to have an ATT (Authorization To Transport) tag faxed, mailed, etc to you. This grants you permission to transport from point A to point B.. and thats it! Once home with your Restricted firearm and you want to head to the range you cant just go. Nope.. you need to call the Chief Firearms Officer again, tell him/her which range you are going to along with its location and wait for another ATT. This time however the ATT is good for typically 1 year and kept with the firearm. You still need to call the Chief Firearms Officer each and every time you head out though so they have a record or your travels and movements while in possession of the Restricted firearms.

While in transport firearms must be unloaded, contain a trigger locking device and be stored in a proper case that's locked and secured in the vehicle. Magazines and clips must also be unloaded! Ammunition must be stored separately from the firearm.

Most sporting goods stores carry ammo however its shotgun and rifle only! All handgun ammo must be purchased from a firearms shop as its more regulated then rifle and shotgun. I believe you also need to show your PAL to buy handgun ammo. That said.. most ammo in Canada is typically a bit cheaper then it is/was here.

Currently the chances of a regular Joe or even most politicians, etc receiving a CCDW is about zero. You must prove that your life is currently in certain danger and law enforcement cant help. Its that bad. That said, its being talked about politically more and more for some type of conceal carry regulations. Hopefully with a Pro-Gun PM CCDW in Canada will happen.

Canada.. possibly the new and upcoming US of firearms while the US hurdles downwards towards useless registration and confiscation. Hardly to the first half but it certainly looks like great news for the gun owners of Canada!