Author Topic: Ruger SR1911 & SR1911CMD  (Read 6930 times)

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Ruger SR1911 & SR1911CMD
« on: March 17, 2013, 12:39:31 AM »
Anyone have either of these? Have anything good or bad to say about them? I've been thinking of getting one and the wife says she likes (the looks) of the shorter Commander. Been to Shooters Choice but they didn't have any to test or in stock. Everything I've read online has been quite positive.

Condition 1

• Life Member
Re: Ruger SR1911 & SR1911CMD
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 01:05:15 AM »
I have read very good reviews as well. The only complaint I have read is about the tolerances being a bit too loose making the gun rattle a little bit, nothing that would affect performance.

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 05:24:27 PM »
Accurized 1911's are tightened up to the point of almost malfunctioning, not cycling, although functioning should not be affected, accuracy probably would be.

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 11:35:47 PM »
If you want to try one out the last time I was at Targetmaster they had one for rental. The ammo prices are high though and you have to use their ammo. I think the rental is $10 and $15 for the range time unless you have a friend with a platinum membership then the rental and visit is free.

I shot it and thought it was a pretty nice gun. Did not really think anything stood out good or bad.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 10:41:09 AM »
Thanks for the comments. Might try and make it up and give it a try. Thanks for the heads up on Targetmaster.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 12:40:19 PM »
I made the mistake of handling an SR1911 at Lawmen Supply in Dover a few months ago.  This will be my next handgun purchase.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Gen.5.SSRS

• *Legalize Freedom*
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 10:20:04 PM »
I have a SR1911, and like it a lot.  I can't compare it to others, because I never handled/shot any other 1911 until i purchased the Ruger SR1911.  The fit and finish is nice, commenting on what Condition 1 said - mine does rattle a tad.   But yea, all in all, the grip, balance of the firearm, the sights, everything is good.  I don't regret the purchase!  Really my only complaint is Ruger don't offer it in Blue..lol    Any questions, feel free to ask me, I'll do my best to answer. 
--GOD Bless our Service Members--

I will not surrender what it was our fathers died to bear!

Our freedom was won by the citizen-soldier refusing to give in to tyranny. It must be protected by him as well.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 11:27:49 PM »
Very true about the blue, I prefer carbon steel vs stainless steel as well. The SR1911 is a good gun (based on research), they got it right making it a series 70 1911.

I have a SR1911, and like it a lot.  I can't compare it to others, because I never handled/shot any other 1911 until i purchased the Ruger SR1911.  The fit and finish is nice, commenting on what Condition 1 said - mine does rattle a tad.   But yea, all in all, the grip, balance of the firearm, the sights, everything is good.  I don't regret the purchase!  Really my only complaint is Ruger don't offer it in Blue..lol    Any questions, feel free to ask me, I'll do my best to answer. 

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 05:31:03 AM »
I actually prefer the Stainless myself and its generally easier to care for however a nicely blued barrel can be very nice to look at.

Well I lucked out and found myself another new Walther PPQ 9mm today. Called, paid, sent FFL info and its shipping out tomorrow morning. Got it at a fair price all things considered these days, plus Amazon had the P99 (PPQ) Meprolight Tritium night sights on sale yesterday for 87$ so I bought 2 sets. Just finished installing 1 set on my second PPQ and the other for the latest when it arrives. : ) Crazy as it is I'd likely buy 1 more if I ran across 1 at the right price.

This puts off the SR1911s for now, though I'll be watching for a rental. Hawkeye, I've now had a few people tell me the mistake was fondling one and not being able to give it back.

My father is visiting for a few days from Canada and wants to hit a range to try the CZ I bought him plus the AR and a few others. I see a few days so might have to make the rounds and see if there are any around for rental while we're out and about.

Again.. Thanks for all the comments.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 05:46:01 PM »
Ruger SR1911 is a beautiful pistol. It comes with one 7 round and one 8 round magazine (don't ask me why the difference) which makes it ideal if the 10 rounder law goes through. The oversize ejection port is great for competition shooting, if that is your goal. Easy to get parts and acessories for (US made).
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 02:39:00 AM »
What the reviews online call "oversize" ejection port is nothing more than a lowered and flared ejection port, making cleaner ejections which benefit not only competitors but all shooters. This feature is found in almost all modern 1911s (unless they are faithful replicas of the original design).

1911s are probably the easiest guns to get replacement parts, regardless if made in the US or not. If your 1911 cannot use another manufacturer's parts then your gun is out of specs (or it is not a 1911), also most parts are not drop in and will require some fitting EVEN if same manufacturer.

The reason for the 7 and 8 rounds magazines is some people prefer to carry the 7 rounds because it is flush fit, while the 8 rounds stick out.

Ruger SR1911 is a beautiful pistol. It comes with one 7 round and one 8 round magazine (don't ask me why the difference) which makes it ideal if the 10 rounder law goes through. The oversize ejection port is great for competition shooting, if that is your goal. Easy to get parts and acessories for (US made).

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 06:37:34 AM »
Great info thanks : )