Author Topic: Official AR 15 Thread  (Read 118384 times)

eclipse

Re: Official AR 15 Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 06:01:49 PM »
Atglen has steel targets out to 500 m.  I was shooting clay birds at 500 2 weekends ago with my rra nm a4.

quickdraw

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2011, 01:36:53 AM »
Lots of fun to build, even more fun to shoot! DoubleStar lower, upper, quad rail and buttstock. Magpul BUIS, Grip Pod forend grip. "Cheap" optic. 

Rabbit

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2011, 05:57:59 AM »
My M&P15 just got sexier with the addition of a Midwest industries SS-series free float hand guard low profile gas block and Magpul MBUS sights and a vortex red dot sight. i had to remove my gas piston to get the new hand guards on it and convert it back to DI but that's Ok. now i need to build an AR for my ACOG. This is why it's a good idea to be friends with your Wings Combat Arms Instructor he's got the tools and the know-how to help you put you toys together.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2011, 02:14:49 AM »
Here is mine

Rabbit

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2011, 04:57:32 AM »
Very nice, Daniel defense?

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2011, 01:28:36 PM »
Very nice, Daniel defense?

Yes, DD Middy LW

rusirius

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2011, 07:56:27 PM »
Here is mine

If you don't mind me making a suggestion... Try moving your vertical grip further back, only a couple inches off the mag works well.  By doing so you not only create a shorter fulcrum and make it a lot faster / easier to come up on target, but in my opinion it feels much more stable / comfortable in a kneeling posture.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2011, 03:41:22 AM »
Nope, I don't mind suggestions at all please keep them coming. The reason I set up this way is because I like to grip all the way to the forward end of the rifle, using the VFG as index wrapping my hand around the rail. It also gives me fast access to the flash light while still holding a forward grip if I need to use the VFG.

Here is an updated picture with optics, flashlight, Suregrip, ...

rusirius

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2011, 01:39:39 AM »
Nope, I don't mind suggestions at all please keep them coming. The reason I set up this way is because I like to grip all the way to the forward end of the rifle, using the VFG as index wrapping my hand around the rail. It also gives me fast access to the flash light while still holding a forward grip if I need to use the VFG.

That's what pressure switches are for.. LOL ;)

Not that you need something else to buy, cause we ALWAYS have too much to buy, LOL, but if you could find a real nice light AFG that might be the best of both worlds.  Put the AFG up front since you're really using the VFG kinda like a AFG, then move the VFG back.  That way you could use either depending on the situation.  ;)

What kind of light is that btw?  As much as I hate buying chinese crap, I have to admit that lights are one place where I almost always do.  Don't get me wrong, I've got a Surefire 6P and love it.  But the fact is, the LEDs in these "American made" brands are usually from china anyway... And the price of the american stuff is just outragous in comparison...  I have some chinese lights that honestly blow the american ones away.  I've got one with a CREE XM-L T6 emitter that runs 750 lumens on a nominal voltage.  It makes my 6P duck and run for cover. LOL.  Another one I have is 1600 lumen...  The 750 I think I paid $30 shipped (and that included the picatinny rail mount, pressure switch, batteries, etc.  and $60 shipped for the 1600 one (also included mount, pressure switch, batteries, and even a charger.)

The 750 lights up my ENTIRE backyard brighter than broad daylight... The 1600 looks like a friggin army surplus spotlight at night.  And it's in the same size package as the 6P.  You can see the beam hundreds if not thousands of feet in the air.  The strobe on it is crazy... If anyone ever broke in my house and I lit them up with the strobe I wouldn't even have to shoot, it would probably induce an instant seizure followed by a couple of days of blindness... LMAO... 

Sorry to go off on a tangent... ;)

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2011, 02:28:45 AM »
Nope, I don't mind suggestions at all please keep them coming. The reason I set up this way is because I like to grip all the way to the forward end of the rifle, using the VFG as index wrapping my hand around the rail. It also gives me fast access to the flash light while still holding a forward grip if I need to use the VFG.k

That's what pressure switches are for.. LOL ;)

Not that you need something else to buy, cause we ALWAYS have too much to buy, LOL, but if you could find a real nice light AFG that might be the best of both worlds.  Put the AFG up front since you're really using the VFG kinda like a AFG, then move the VFG back.  That way you could use either depending on the situation.  ;)

What kind of light is that btw?  As much as I hate buying chinese crap, I have to admit that lights are one place where I almost always do.  Don't get me wrong, I've got a Surefire 6P and love it.  But the fact is, the LEDs in these "American made" brands are usually from china anyway... And the price of the american stuff is just outragous in comparison...  I have some chinese lights that honestly blow the american ones away.  I've got one with a CREE XM-L T6 emitter that runs 750 lumens on a nominal voltage.  It makes my 6P duck and run for i. LOL.  Another one I have is 1600 lumen...  The 750 I think I paid $30 shipped (and that included the picatinny rail mount, pressure switch, batteries, etc.  and $60 shipped for the 1600 one (also included mount, pressure switch, batteries, and even a charger.)

The 750 lights up my ENTIRE backyard brighter than broad daylight... The 1600 looks like a friggin army surplus spotlight at night.  And it's in the same size package as the 6P.  You can see the beam hundreds if not thousands of feet in the air.  The strobe on it is crazy... If anyone ever broke in my house and I lit them up with the strobe I wouldn't even have to shoot, it would probably induce an instant seizure followed by a couple of days of blindness... LMAO... 

Sorry to go off on a tangent... ;)
so where did you get these lights? Make and model please.....
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

rusirius

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2011, 12:15:49 PM »

Straight from China... ;)  Ebay...  Let me do a quick search...

This is like the 1600 I got... In fact, this might be the same seller I got mine from...
Clicky Clicky

This "Ultrafire" is the 750 I have... Pretty sure I didn't get it from this seller, but it's the same light...
Clicky Clicky

Basically if you're looking for an LED, CREE makes in my opinion the best emitters out there, and a lot of the american brands use the CREE emitters for just that reason.  So an Ebay search for CREE will turn up a TON of lights in just about any brightness/price range including or excluding just about any accessories you want...

If you're looking for non-LED, then a search for Xenon flashlight or something similar will get you those results...

.... and if you really just want to instantly melt someone in your ray gun, you can get this 2800 lumen model... LMFAO!
Clicky Clicky
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 12:26:56 PM by rusirius »

rusirius

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2011, 07:28:54 PM »

Straight from China... ;)  Ebay...  Let me do a quick search...

This is like the 1600 I got... In fact, this might be the same seller I got mine from...
Clicky Clicky

This "Ultrafire" is the 750 I have... Pretty sure I didn't get it from this seller, but it's the same light...
Clicky Clicky

Basically if you're looking for an LED, CREE makes in my opinion the best emitters out there, and a lot of the american brands use the CREE emitters for just that reason.  So an Ebay search for CREE will turn up a TON of lights in just about any brightness/price range including or excluding just about any accessories you want...

If you're looking for non-LED, then a search for Xenon flashlight or something similar will get you those results...

.... and if you really just want to instantly melt someone in your ray gun, you can get this 2800 lumen model... LMFAO!
Clicky Clicky

Ohh, and by the way... was talking to a friend today about lights after this came up and he reminded me of something...  http://www.lighthound.com/ is a great distributor of these types of lights.  They have decent prices and they keep stock so shipping doesn't take as long... A lot of guys prefer buying a host they like, then a drop in the like, switch they like, etc... You can certainly do that from Ebay, but a place like lighthound makes it a bit easier...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 07:52:33 PM by rusirius »

USMC@UDEL

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2012, 12:52:02 AM »
Hey guys, sorry I've been away for awhile. I have a Bushmaster with heavy barrel and swear by Bushmaster. But I am considering building myself a whole new AR from stratch, just to do it. I also know two business owners in Cecil County who want me to help them with their first AR15. I know there are some very good quality high end AR parts kits out there, but we are trying to get theirs done for about $650-800. I told them we can upgrade it later. It's not about having the latest and greatest thing, it's about just getting one and learning to shoot the @@@@ thing right. So far I've looked at Model1Sales.com, Del-ton, J&T Distributing, and Rock River Arms for parts kits. Rock River might be a bit pricey for them although I know they are good to go. Do does anyone have anything to say about the other three or have another website they can suggest? Keep in mind the price range. Thanks.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2012, 01:15:42 AM »
I would take a PSA ( http://palmettostatearmory.com/ ) over all the ones you mentioned above.

USMC@UDEL

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2012, 01:26:24 AM »
Any particular reason?