Author Topic: Official AR 15 Thread  (Read 127941 times)

Condition 1

• Life Member
Re: Official AR 15 Thread
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2012, 01:41:32 AM »
Any particular reason?

PSA is millspec, HPT and MPI tested parts (bolt), FN barrel for the same price as the ones you mentioned above.

eclipse

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2012, 02:15:58 AM »
Some times it is cheeper to start with an inexpensive base gun and work up.  I picked up a RRA a4 mid length with match trigers, ergo grips, mag, case for 625 delivered last fall (fall sale) and striped it down and rebuilt it.  I do not see it on the website any more but some of the operator series are still on sale.  Last I checked they started at 850 delivered.  Its hard (but not impossible) to build a gun from scratch for less than 625.  If you start with a rock river gun be prepared to break a lot of locktite.  Definitely look into a mid length.  During my last build I noticed that you can buy a complete upper and complete lower for less than a complete rifle made from the same upper and lower.  I was told that there is a tax on complete rifles but not on parts.  Not sure if that is true but it might save you some cash if looking to assemble rather than build.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 02:30:44 AM by eclipse »

USMC@UDEL

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2012, 02:45:54 AM »
Hey thanks to both of you. I looked at PSA, and the feces looks worth the extra green for mil-spec parts. I think most of us would agree that there are too many sub-standard AR15s on the market. I swear by my Bushmaster as I got one back when they were still manufactured in Windham, Maine. Would you suggest I stay away from J&T, Del-ton, and Model1Sales?

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2012, 03:05:58 AM »
Hey thanks to both of you. I looked at PSA, and the feces looks worth the extra green for mil-spec parts. I think most of us would agree that there are too many sub-standard AR15s on the market. I swear by my Bushmaster as I got one back when they were still manufactured in Windham, Maine. Would you suggest I stay away from J&T, Del-ton, and Model1Sales?

I can't say one way or another since I don't have experience with these rifles, however from reading and researching I see many of these manufacturers cut corners to reduce costs. I personally choose to stay with companies like DD, BCM, PSA.

USMC@UDEL

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2012, 03:56:44 AM »
Enlighten me as to BCM is? I think DD is Daniel Defense right? (I bet I'll feel brilliant when you give me the answer)

Bmel17

« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2012, 10:37:02 AM »
Bravo Company

Schmenge

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2012, 12:12:26 AM »
I have a question about my new Stag model 8 (piston).

I took it to the range for the first time a couple weeks ago. I shot some PMC Bronze 223 55gr ball. They wouldn't eject. The extractor ripped the rims right off the case. Also, there appeared to be stress marks around the circumference of the case for most of the length of the case. I know PMC brass is soft from reloading PMC handgun cases, but is it really too soft to shoot in an AR?

On the advice of Bob at X-Ring and the nice folks at Stag, I tried some Remington 223. No problem with extraction, but still saw the "stress marks" around the cases. I wouldn't want to reload these cases and would probably throw them out.

I could use some expert advice here. Is there a problem with this rifle, or is it normal?

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions.
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2012, 01:26:13 AM »
I don't have experience with piston, but certainly there is something wrong with your rifle. It could be many things - buffer weight, rough chamber, not enough gas...I would contact the manufacturer and have them deal with it.

USMC@UDEL

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2012, 01:44:23 AM »
Hey Condition 1, I apprecaite your help. I've done some research on PSA, and they look and sound great. Mil-spec parts for about the price of cheap feces. I think I'll chuck the Del-ton, Model1Sales, and J&T idea.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2012, 01:58:42 AM »
Hey Condition 1, I apprecaite your help. I've done some research on PSA, and they look and sound great. Mil-spec parts for about the price of cheap feces. I think I'll chuck the Del-ton, Model1Sales, and J&T idea.

I am sure you will not regret. Also, sometimes a company releases a lemon, all companies do, and people have reported excellent support from their CS. I have their lower and the LPK had the magazine release button missing, I sent them an email and they had one on the mail for me next day.

USMC@UDEL

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2012, 02:17:14 AM »
I think when I help my two busniess owner friends in Elkton build theirs I'll suggest this. Looking over the quality for the price, I've found nothing to beat it except maybe Rock River Arms. I know they are good.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 01:37:24 AM by USMC@UDEL »

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2012, 02:34:32 AM »
Why do you think RRA is better?

I think when I help my two busniess owner friends in Elkton build theirs I'll suggest this. Looking over the quality for the price, I've found nothing to beat it except maybe Rock River Arms. I know they are good. One of the guys I am helping build for is the husband of a local Circuit Court Judge. The officers want them to be armed well.

USMC@UDEL

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2012, 02:45:17 AM »
It isn't that I think it's better, I just have used them in the past, and know many people who swear by them. They have an established reputation that many of these other parts kits do not have. But I think I'm going to give PSA a shot.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2012, 02:07:26 AM »
I bought one of those Cree XM-L T6 LED flashlights awhile back on eBay for $18. The title described it as 1600 lumens, but it listed 400 lumens in the write-up. While its a nice, bright flashlight, it is definitely not as bright as my Streamlight Stinger DS LED HP 200 lumen flashlight, which cost $110 at Optics Planet. Maybe not a fair comparison, considering the price. I doubt there is any regulation on the claims of the import items on eBay.
New Castle County

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2012, 07:01:04 PM »
Lumspond, that is funny - the title says 1600, the description says 400, reality is less than 200 lumen.