Author Topic: Thoughts on Kel Tec PF9  (Read 5099 times)

402carry

Thoughts on Kel Tec PF9
« on: March 25, 2013, 07:24:51 PM »
anyone have expereince with this firearm?  Look for an inexpensive backup, seeing what people know
NRA Member
NCC
DE CCDW Permit
FL CCDW Permit
PA CCDW Permit

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Re: Thoughts on Kel Tec PF9
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 08:54:44 PM »
I test fired one and didn't like the trigger. It's too far forward and has a very long reset. I found when I placed my finger on the trigger I almost always bumped the front of the trigger guard. It's that far forward. After squeezing off a round you were almost had to think of touching the guard again before it reset. I also found it it almost to light to handle the 9mm recoil. Tried various hand holds however still found it jumped in my grip which I didn't like and made double tap shooting unreliable. Single shot firing was accurate however I had to focus more getting back on target for the second shot. I did find it reliable with 100 rounds of FMJ 115gr feeding without issues. Didn't use any defensive rounds.

Overall I found it accurate but the bad trigger position and long reset didn't work for me. Add the recoil flip and I didn't give it another thought. It's all personal however and I know there are a lot of people carrying them.

I'll recommend a Walther PPS 9mm or the smaller Ruger LCP .380 for smaller pocket carry.

402carry

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 12:00:26 PM »
thanks for the review
NRA Member
NCC
DE CCDW Permit
FL CCDW Permit
PA CCDW Permit

Newlife503

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 12:16:36 PM »
I test fired one and didn't like the trigger. It's too far forward and has a very long reset. I found when I placed my finger on the trigger I almost always bumped the front of the trigger guard. It's that far forward. After squeezing off a round you were almost had to think of touching the guard again before it reset. I also found it it almost to light to handle the 9mm recoil. Tried various hand holds however still found it jumped in my grip which I didn't like and made double tap shooting unreliable. Single shot firing was accurate however I had to focus more getting back on target for the second shot. I did find it reliable with 100 rounds of FMJ 115gr feeding without issues. Didn't use any defensive rounds.

Overall I found it accurate but the bad trigger position and long reset didn't work for me. Add the recoil flip and I didn't give it another thought. It's all personal however and I know there are a lot of people carrying them.

I'll recommend a Walther PPS 9mm or the smaller Ruger LCP .380 for smaller pocket carry.

I'll second this review as well as his 2 recommendations.
NRA Life Member
DSSA Member
DE,PA,FL,UT CC Permits
New Castle County

Bmel17

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 12:30:18 PM »
I had one and love its size, hated the trigger.  I sold it and bought a Ruger LC9 instead.  Ruger felt much better.  Trigger was better, and overall quality of the LC9 just felt better. 

402carry

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 04:23:07 PM »
nice.  thanks for the reviews guys.  i have some pretty big mitts so iam sure the trigger would bother me as well.  i will still check it out for curiosities sake but probably go a different direction 
NRA Member
NCC
DE CCDW Permit
FL CCDW Permit
PA CCDW Permit

Adrian

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 02:30:08 AM »
I would pay a little more and get a Ruger or the S&W Shield.
Why do today what you can do tomorrow

Resident of NCC although I wish I was in any county in West Virginia

trevor

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 12:54:06 AM »
While not my favorite gun, the PF9 is thin, lightweight, and accurate. These three things help to make it an excellent carry piece in the summer and a good back up anytime. And of course it is a Kel-Tec, so the reliability speaks for itself. (See some of my other posts here today.)

Ahhh, but yes, then there is that crappy trigger. I knew this going in when I bought mine. The first thing I did, even before breaking it in, was to buy the aftermarket all steel Norwood trigger and took them both to my gunsmith. He then installed the trigger, polished the trigger, feed ramp, and the rails. Notice that the steel tiger is more downward and set slightly back to the rear? You can see a comparison of the triggers here, with a finger in the guard. (NOT selling, just sharing!) http://www.northwoodcomp.com/

Total agreement.

The recoil is the recoil. That is going to happen in such a small and light weapon with a 9 MM cartridge. You can always go to a lighter load. Is it my favorite gun? A resounding NO. Does it work for a good reliable back up that you WILL carry, yes. Is the price right, you bet your bippy.

Full agreement.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 12:56:12 AM by trevor »