Author Topic: TV Alert - If I Only Had a Gun  (Read 11994 times)

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
TV Alert - If I Only Had a Gun
« on: April 08, 2009, 12:10:36 PM »
20/20 is going to air a segment Friday night titled "If I Only Had a Gun."  From seeing the early on-air advertisements I thought that this might be a somewhat balanced report.  Then I visited the ABC web site.  The show will be hosted by Dianne Sawyer, not a good sign.  If you follow the show's link on their site, it goes to a story about the recent mass killings , how easy it is for people to get guns and talks about the "gunshow Loophole."  I am not holdilng my breath about this being balanced. I hope I am wrong.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: TV Alert - If I Only Had a Gun
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 07:23:43 PM »
Smok'em if you got'em!  Oh.. I mean uh...   BUY THEM WHILE YOU CAN! 

Shows like this chap my @@@.  First, we've made getting a gun about as safe and as difficult as we can for the average joe without becoming a communist country!  I hope they inteview people who were involved in mass killings (the survivors). I wonder how many of them wish THEY had a gun that day or that one of their co-workers had a gun that day.  ugh.  I'm sure that Diane will make sure this is very one sided or at least the producers will. 

Seems like my montly savings keeps making a detour to Dan Lindbergh!  :) 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 07:52:19 PM »
I'm selling KY for anyone watching the show.  ;D
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 03:32:24 PM »
Just finished watching this piece of crap of a show.  Not one single reference to a firearm actually saving someone.  The message I got from this show is that it is morally superior to give up and submit to being a victim than to actually try to defend yourself.   The problem is not with guns, it is the corroding of our moral compass.  The assault on “traditional values” coupled with the glorified violence seen in movies, TV shows, music videos, rap and heavy metal lyrics and video games is leading to the moral destruction or our society.  ABC, which aired this show, had two commercials for their own shows (Castle and The Usuals) during this program which showed the “good guys” bursting onto the scene with guns drawn.   I guess ABC is trying to say guns are bad unless it is for their own ratings.  The segment I thought was particularly problematic was when the set up the college students in a no win situation, in an unrealistic scenario against trained professionals and used the results to demonstrate why it is pointless for you or I to even want to try to defend ourselves.  I knew this program was going to be slanted; I just did not expect it to this degree.  The sad part is that Dianne Sawyer and ABC probably think that they did the public a service when all they did was a one-sided hatchet job on a serious topic that needed a fair and balanced discussion.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 05:58:17 PM »
I figured enough and won't waste my time watching it.

gun nut

• Life Member
  • this is my rifle and here is a pistol....
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 06:19:31 PM »
So basicly it was a one sided load of crap is what your saying.Is that close?
Gun control is hitting your target

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 12:55:33 PM »
I watched this show last night and when it was over all I could say was that I wished I hadn't watched it, to which my wife said that she wished I hadn't too. A 5 segment show billed as "If only I had a Gun'". One segment focused on gang violence and one on the sun show Loophole. And as been said 2 segments showing what untrained, over matched college kids can do against a well trained police officer. We can only hope that the show will @@@@ of John Stossel as much as it does us and 20/20 will let him do a more fair version of the show.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 09:59:07 PM »
It’s too bad that some people finally “come around” only after tragedy strikes.  What’s that Scout motto? 

Another line that I hate to hear is the “if I had a gun I would have shot him” one.  I’ve heard this statement time and time again.  A common thread amongst the people who make this statement is that they are often people who don’t own guns, and don’t believe in owning guns.  So, I take that to mean that they have no self-control, and thus assume that because THEY can’t be trusted to possess a firearm that, for some reason, I can’t be trusted, either.

Hey, listen, I’m not asking them to ban chocolate chip cookies because I lose my mind and all self-control when I’m near them.  My advice to these people would be “don’t buy a gun” – and then they won’t have to worry about “their” problems.  Also, I think that these people should leave chocolate chip cookies on my doorstep – but that’s another story.   
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 10:32:10 PM »
If they ban guns and chocolate chip cookies I'm screwed

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 12:37:05 AM »
60 Minutes also had a show tonight about guns.  They talked about the rise in gun sales.  They went to the same gun show as 20/20 and had the same Samaha guy who talked about buying so many guns in just one hour.  He did not say that it was the other show that gave him the money to do this.  AGAIN, NOT ONE WORD ABOUT GUNS ACTUALLY SAVING ANYBODY (sorry for yelling). They also had the wicked witch of the west Feinstein on the show.  Apparently she cannot understand why the 2nd Amendment and the will of the people will not surrender and align with her narrow far left views. What will it take to get a balanced report on guns?  It's not like the info is not out there.  Take a look at this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkWgp2abM2w
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 12:42:25 AM by Hawkeye »

Sussex County