Author Topic: Don’t Wait to Get a Good Belt!  (Read 7630 times)

Obleo

• Life Member
Don’t Wait to Get a Good Belt!
« on: April 05, 2013, 03:11:57 PM »
I know there has been a ton of comments and at least one great thread on belts.  But I just have to say.

After a very long time of putting it off I finally got a belt that works!  The new belt is changing the way I carry and my tolerance threshold.

I just have to pass along this advice if you are carrying for hours each day.  Get the right belt! 
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
Re: Don’t Wait to Get a Good Belt!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 07:14:54 PM »
What did you get?  I've been using an Amish belt from Hank's Clothing. Would buy another if I ever needed one.  +1
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

04ranger

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 08:57:18 PM »
Is a stiffer belt best?
Will Not Go Gentle
Sussex County

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 09:17:35 PM »
Between the new handguns added to my 'collection' this year and the new shop equipment for my return to the hobby of woodworking I'm holding off on a getting a belt, holster, etc until I actually receive my permit which I figure will be by August hopefully.

04ranger.. Don't just look for a stiffer belt. There are tons of them to be had at department stores, men's stores, etc but they will not last. Spend the additional money up front for a gun belt in either 1.5" or 1.75" width, whichever most of your pant loops are. Everything I've read points to a better carry experience with a proper belt. Tons of links and suggestions here using the search or simply Google it.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 11:21:07 PM »
What did you get?  I've been using an Amish belt from Hank's Clothing. Would buy another if I ever needed one.  +1

I purchased a Propper brand tactical.  Its 1.5 inches stiff nylon with just enough give to wear comfortable.  The buckle is reinforced polymer, nothing fancy.  These belts sell for under $10 at many sources on the web.  This is the first belt to offer strength and adjustability that matches my routines.  My paddle holsters work perfectly.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 12:02:30 AM »
I carry 7 days a week with a IWB holster. The belt I have been using came from Wally World about 10 years ago and is still great. It is 1 1/2" wide and 1/16 " thick. It has a double prong buckle and double row of holes the entire lenght of the belt. Great for hooking things to the belt by clipping through the holes. Great utility belt of heavy leather. I    also have 2 1 1/2" wide western belts I wear with my good jeans and boots.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

carter

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 11:40:11 AM »
Most CCDW holsters use some form of tension to retain the firearm. A stiff double layer belt is needed to hold the holster in place during the draw. Most poor draws are the result of bad belts. It is very easy to spot poor equipment on the range. The holster and gun come up together during the draw making a clean draw impossible. In reality most people don’t practice there draw and don’t know how bad there equipment is.  The real test is in competition were you need to draw a hand gun. Using a timer or compare yourself to friends on the range can also determine if your belt is doing the job. Test your belt. The holster can not move at all when you quickly draw your gun.  I use a Galco double layer belt. And yes they cost around $130. I can draw from a concealed  IWB holster and get two a zone hits in less than 2 seconds at 10 yards.  My gun will not come out of my Milt Sparks holster when held upside down. You need a very stiff belt to draw like this.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America

DECCW Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative

seniorgeek

• Life Member
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

MarkB

• Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Bmel17

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 05:41:17 PM »
Check out the leather place at the Farmer's Market in New Castle, good prices and product!

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 07:59:12 PM »
Check out the leather place at the Farmer's Market in New Castle, good prices and product!

I'm still wearing the belt I got there more than a year ago. It hasn't stretched or sagged.
I was ordering 5-11 belts, but they wore out in about six months.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Bmel17

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 08:46:02 PM »
I'm still wearing the belt I got there more than a year ago. It hasn't stretched or sagged.
I was ordering 5-11 belts, but they wore out in about six months.

That is what I switched from as well.  Stayed rigid as it should, but the leather finish came off super quick.  Just looked bad IMO.  Well worth the switch!

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 03:42:29 PM »
The belt I use everyday came from Wal-Mart at least 10 years ago. I is 1 1/2 inches wide and has a double row of holes the whole length of the belt and a double pin buckle. Wally's World has carried these for many years. It is heavy cowhide and comes on sizes up to "humongus". It comes in brown or black, but browns are harder to find. You have probably seen them before.

O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O

O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O

They are very useful for clipping on utllity items throught the holes. I have a clinch clip on my phone as a safety holder and compasses, knives and such.

DECCW Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative