Poll

After cleaning your firearm what do you use?

Oil
18 (62.1%)
Grease
5 (17.2%)
A spray lube
4 (13.8%)
Powdered Graphite
0 (0%)
WD-40
2 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: lubrication  (Read 27717 times)

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Re: lubrication
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2013, 02:04:42 PM »
Now see that's why I don't usually browse forums after a few drinks! I tend to ramble on lol

It's hardly the end all be all product but because I've used it for about a decade, always have it around, ease of use, etc its what I use. I have used a few other products but figure why bother when this works.

I'm a Haligonian.. From Halifax, Nova Scotia and like to visit as often as I can to see friends and family. This trip I've been out camping, seen a few nights of the Halifax Comedy Festival, caught the Legally Blonde musical at a local play house and planning to see Beethoven's Ninth by Symphony Nova Scotia this coming weekend as part of the German Festival. Halifax has more bars, pubs and restaurants in its downtown area then any other city in North America, per capita so before, between and often following i'm frequenting one for great seafood and drinks with friends. When not out running about I'm relaxing back at my place working on a few old cars with my father and kicking back tossing a pallet or 3 on evening fires. Typically with a few drinks, good Cuban cigars and a couple friends who tend to drop by most fire nights.

Its not really a vacation since I'm often on the go more here then back in Delaware lol.

No moose shooting but I've had moose stew, steak and burgers this trip though it isn't common. A friend from Newfoundland brought some back and gave it to us. Province has something like 500k people and 5 million moose! :)

Hope everyone back in DE is having even 1/2 as much fun as I am here :)

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 02:15:36 AM »
Can you see the drool on my keyboard? LOL   ;D

I'm putting Halifax on my bucket list of places to see before I bite the dust.  Sounds like a great place.   5,000,000 moose???  Oh wow.  That's a lotta moose!

Sorry you missed the gathering tonight. Truly a great experience!! 

Safe travels,

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

WickedSoul

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2013, 05:28:52 PM »
I recently switched over to Ballistol from Hoppe's #9 and Hoppe's lube.

I have to say it really works well in all of my guns. The one that probably needs lubrication the most is my AR, and I haven't shot it excessively being lubricated with a very thin layer of Ballistol (due to ammo prices), but it's had no issues with it. A lot of it does seem to burn off when firing, but like I said, no malfunctions or signs of excessive wear.

If I did see any problems developing, I'd probably switch to some type of synthetic lube for the BCG.

It's extremely convenient, fairly inexpensive, and I've had zero issues so far.

The one thing I do want to do is get some type of thicker oil/lube/protectant for long-term storage of my guns, but I'm still shopping around.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2013, 09:41:17 PM »
I had always use a separate cleaner and oil. Hoppes #9, then Rem oil. Was of the opinion that the combo products (cleans ANDS lubricates) didn't work as well at either. Like all-weather tires aren't a great summer or winter tire. But have been lazy lately, and just using Ballistol. Sometimes "okay" is good enough.
New Castle County

JOET

• Life Member
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2013, 10:32:03 PM »
Got my first cleaning kit when I was 12 yrs old..came in Hoppes metal green box been using #9 and gun oil since. There may be better stuff out there, but Hoppes has always done a good job, so I have stuck with it all these years. Never have had problem with solvent or oil.
New Castle County