Author Topic: Cosomolene?  (Read 9225 times)

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
Cosomolene?
« on: April 21, 2013, 10:12:17 AM »
  Is this the best way to remove .  ::)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: Cosomolene?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 05:00:52 PM »
honestly....  take the parts to your local car wash, put a few coins in and blast it off. 

OR...  get several cold adult beverages, make sure the kids are out of ear shot - you will start at some point to scream obscenities - and get out some break free, mineral spirits, or some simple green...   then, put a lot of elbow grease into it.  Oh, and clear your calendar for the whole day LOL

I have two rifles that are covered in cosmoline.  Currently they're in my bedroom closet.  There is nothing better than the smell of waking up to cosmoline! :D 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
New Castle County

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 05:57:23 PM »
Oops...
New Castle County

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 03:10:54 AM »
If you have $850 to spend, get one of these: http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/professional-cleaning-systems/gun-cleaning-tanks/pw-26-parts-washer-sku112026000-1705-6217.aspx

Congratulations, you have located the only two firearms related items in-stock at an online retailer! 
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Schmenge

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 01:26:06 PM »
Someone told me WD-40 works well, but I've never had the opportunity to try it. It's worth a shot. You probably already have some.
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

Schmenge

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 01:26:44 PM »
I'd be interested to hear if it works, if you give it a try.
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 02:04:56 PM »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 02:16:51 PM »
After seeing cosmo is vaselene based i will not post any further.
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 04:28:23 PM »
Lol yeah something most people don't know.

I disassembled my rifles, placed all the parts in a settub, covered with hot water and poured about 4 cups Simple Green in. Let it overnight. Turn on hot water while draining the old cold, and let sit for a few minutes again. Removed each piece while running under hot water and then sprayed them with WD-40 and placing them on a cloth. Completely cleaned of the stuff. Note I also complete broke down the bolt.. Not just removed it.

This took all the cosmolene off. It was painless and the Simple Green did all the work overnight. The WD-40 is basically to displace most of the water not really to protect the parts. I then clean, polish and then lub and protect them with Fluid Film... Or whatever you wish to use.

anjdrifter

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 10:13:06 PM »
Here is omething I made a long time ago and I posted on another site I belong to. it works for me. it is about the sixth post down on the thread

http://www.p64resource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2184&hilit=homemade+oven+stovepipe
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 10:15:04 PM by anjdrifter »
Sussex county, NRA certified instructor -pistol-rifle- shotgun ,doj approved instructor