Author Topic: HB-58 High Cap Mag BAN hearing- Wed. 5/1 @ 2:30 PM  (Read 34315 times)

groundgrid

• Life Member
HB-58 High Cap Mag BAN hearing- Wed. 5/1 @ 2:30 PM
« on: April 26, 2013, 02:47:09 AM »
HB 58    AN ACT TO AMEND TITLE 11 OF THE DELAWARE CODE RELATING TO PROHIBITED CONDUCT IN CONNECTION WITH LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINES.

Link:
http://www.legis.delaware.gov/LIS/lis147.nsf/2bede841c6272c888025698400433a04/f8edf03b468ad24885257b2b006dcbb1?OpenDocument

This bill is a de-facto ban of most of the defensive handguns that are currently carried.
If you can't have a 17 round magazine in public, ditch the Glock & buy a revolver.
As written, it doesn't even allow for carrying with the magazine not completely filled.

If this passes there is will be a 100% chance of a Modern Sporting Rifle ban that will also pass.

Given the attendance at last weeks hearing, I have come to the conclusion that there simply is not enough interest
in Delaware to fight these bills.

We need at least 200 gun owners to show up and testify against this bill.
Here’s the real issue: when your religion is government, and government is god, you cannot tolerate any other God before it
(The reason why Liberal/Progressives have waged a war on Christianity)

LightninSVT

Re: HB-58 High Cap Mag BAN hearing- Wed. 5/1 @ 2:30 PM
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 03:32:57 PM »
They are really coming for our rights full force aren't they?  God this pisses me off to no end.  What's even more frustrating is the level of interest in this state to preserve those rights.  I know hundreds of people that would be highly upset when this passes, but they won't even hear about it until after the fact.  Why isn't the NRA or some other organization pulling people together and organizing some sort of protest or high attendance to these committee meetings?  How can we reach out to the DE gun owners in this state?

Jon
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 03:39:45 PM by LightninSVT »

groundgrid

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 03:57:25 PM »
We need to get the e-mail address list of forum members & do it ourselves.

Does anyone know who has access to the list?
Here’s the real issue: when your religion is government, and government is god, you cannot tolerate any other God before it

LightninSVT

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 07:36:47 PM »
638 members probably carry concealed or are at least interested in obtaining a permit.  Lord only knows how many gun owners there are in DE, and only 10 people show up at the house bill meetings?  No wonder this administration is running rampant...

Jon

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 07:51:35 PM »
We don't keep an "email list" of members... some members provide theirs and make it available on their profile, others don't.  

All you can do is keep bringing it to others attention when things come up and encourage them to contact their legislators, etc...  You'll find that many MANY people live their life (not just in this state) and don't pay any attention to what is being passed etc.  

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 01:35:26 AM »
They are really coming for our rights full force aren't they?  God this pisses me off to no end.  What's even more frustrating is the level of interest in this state to preserve those rights.  I know hundreds of people that would be highly upset when this passes, but they won't even hear about it until after the fact.  Why isn't the NRA or some other organization pulling people together and organizing some sort of protest or high attendance to these committee meetings?  How can we reach out to the DE gun owners in this state?

Jon

Yes

I has been going on for years and many factors that led to it happened right under our noses and it will only happen further as people think "its no big deal"
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

woofguy

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 06:37:16 PM »
So my question, and forgive me if I am missing this. is:

It says the magazine and the gun in a public place at the same time is a crime.
It also talks about if the gun/magazine is capable of being used at the time.

I don't have my CCDW permit (Yet), but when I go to the range to target shoot I put my range bag filled with all of my gear (guns, mags, ammo, eyes/ears/cleaning/etc)
in the trunk of my car. I was told that this is always legal and acceptable because it is not readily accessible to me if it's in the trunk.

Does this mean that if I am transporting my gun and my "High Cap" mags to the range in my trunk, that I am committing a crime?
How would I do this without committing a crime?

groundgrid

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 06:59:21 PM »
Yes, that is correct.
Also, if the bill passes, you will not be able to carry a gun with a magazine that contains over 10 rounds or bring that gun & its magazine to a range at the same time.

Please cal & write your State rep and let them know what you think about this.
There is a list of the Representatives & their districts elsewhere on this forum.

The committee hearing on this bill is tomorrow at 2:30 PM. If you are free, please come to the hearing & sign up to testify.
This will get you 2 minutes to make a point to the committee.

Be politically active & fight for your rights.

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 07:54:08 PM »
I have sen emails to all the senators and representatives in Delaware not just my district. I do this weekly.
Sorry I can't be there in person Wednesday.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 08:06:27 PM »
Yes, that is correct.
Also, if the bill passes, you will not be able to carry a gun with a magazine that contains over 10 rounds or bring that gun & its magazine to a range at the same time.

Please cal & write your State rep and let them know what you think about this.
There is a list of the Representatives & their districts elsewhere on this forum.

The committee hearing on this bill is tomorrow at 2:30 PM. If you are free, please come to the hearing & sign up to testify.
This will get you 2 minutes to make a point to the committee.

Be politically active & fight for your rights.

Is there some interstate transportation law that will trump this? I know if mag capacity is banned that is allowable as of now, but if they have a grandfather clause for pre-existing mags then in theory wouldnt they be covered under the ( I think its called ) the interstate firearms transportation act.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

groundgrid

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 09:19:47 PM »
The proposed law will let you keep mags that you already own.
You will not be able to sell or transfer them.
You will be able to use them at your home or at a range.
There is no provision for transporting your mags to the range.

You will not be able to transport them or have them anywhere in a "public place" while in
possession of a firearm that will accept the magazine. To transport your magazines you will need to
render them "inoperable"- take them apart. However, having them inoperable is only an affirmative defense.
This means that you could still be arrested & end up in court to prove that they fit the definition of inoperable.

Even with a CDW permit, you would not be able to carry a gun that has a magazine with over 10 rounds as that would require the mag & the gun being in the same place.

As written, this bill creates a de-facto ban on most defensive handguns.

If you haven't done so, please e-mail all of the members of the House administration committee.
The NRA-ILA website has an alert with the names & e-mail addresses of the committee members.

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 10:14:51 PM »
I emailed all senators and representatives early this morning with my concerns with this bill.  I have hard back from  2 senators. Pettyjohn and Hocker. Both said they will not support this bill.
Representative  Hudson would not reply because I am not in her district. All she said are you in my district?

I am opposed to this bill, as well as all the bills that will make lawful owners of firearms criminals.

Brian Pettyjohn
Delaware State Senator; 19th District
Georgetown Office:
PO Box 616
Georgetown, DE 19947
(302) 858-0694

Legislative Hall Office:
PO Box 1401
Dover, DE 19903
(302) 744-4117
www.brianpettyjohn.com
www.delawarestatesenate.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 10:27:37 PM »
The proposed law will let you keep mags that you already own.
You will not be able to sell or transfer them.
You will be able to use them at your home or at a range.
There is no provision for transporting your mags to the range.

You will not be able to transport them or have them anywhere in a "public place" while in
possession of a firearm that will accept the magazine. To transport your magazines you will need to
render them "inoperable"- take them apart. However, having them inoperable is only an affirmative defense.
This means that you could still be arrested & end up in court to prove that they fit the definition of inoperable.

Even with a CDW permit, you would not be able to carry a gun that has a magazine with over 10 rounds as that would require the mag & the gun being in the same place.

As written, this bill creates a de-facto ban on most defensive handguns.

If you haven't done so, please e-mail all of the members of the House administration committee.
The NRA-ILA website has an alert with the names & e-mail addresses of the committee members.

SO it sounds like once agian parts of laws politicians dont like are being shredded.

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 10:30:03 PM »
I emailed all senators and representatives early this morning with my concerns with this bill.  I have hard back from  2 senators. Pettyjohn and Hocker. Both said they will not support this bill.
Representative  Hudson would not reply because I am not in her district. All she said are you in my district?

I am opposed to this bill, as well as all the bills that will make lawful owners of firearms criminals.

Brian Pettyjohn
Delaware State Senator; 19th District
Georgetown Office:
PO Box 616
Georgetown, DE 19947
(302) 858-0694

Legislative Hall Office:
PO Box 1401
Dover, DE 19903
(302) 744-4117
www.brianpettyjohn.com
www.delawarestatesenate.com

YOu should have told her. I pay taxes in the state of Delaware.

groundgrid

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 11:13:02 PM »
I will check in with Rep Hudson this evening.
I am certain that she will vote against it.