Author Topic: Savage?  (Read 8354 times)

Moosie

• Life Member
Savage?
« on: May 07, 2013, 04:52:53 PM »
I'm interested in feedback or opinions on a Savage .308 rifle. 

I'm looking at a few different models. I had originally considered a Remington 700, but when I started pricing a bare bones Remington, it just added up to more than what I wanted to spend.  I'm trying to stay under $900 (with a scope included in that price) if at all possible. 

I like the 10 FCM Scout, but it's still a little more than what I wanted to spend because it doesn't come with a scope. 

Anyone have good or bad opinions on Savage? 

Thanks!

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Knotacare

• NRA Endowment Member VFW Life Member
Re: Savage?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 05:44:43 PM »
I to am looking at the Remington 700 .308  w/ 24" or 26" barrel. I think the Remington is one of the most accurate out of the box with great action. Savage is  a good rifle also & plenty of people swear by them. If you are trying to stay under $900.00 with a good scope Savage would be my choice too.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 01:57:51 AM »
Yeah, Knotacare, I too started down the Remington road and after a few discussions with a few friends as well as the FFL I deal with, Savage was mentioned by many of them.  I love the reliability of Remington (it's reputation precedes it) however, I do think that what I've read about Savage that it's taking the lead.  I can't find anything "bad" on Savage.  Then again, I've only spent about an hour online researching it, so I still have a lot of info to review.

Thanks for your input. Let me know what you end up getting.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 02:07:57 AM »
Always preferred the Winchester model 70 to the Remington 700. No information on Savage. Are you considering used, or just new? How about an AR-10?
New Castle County

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 04:57:11 AM »
I'll consider used depending on condition.  Haven't considered the AR10 due to price and if I'm not mistaken it's not bolt action?

Why do you prefer the Winchester 70?

Moosie

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 02:55:57 PM »
Talking to the benchrest shooters at a Bridgeville match, I was told that the Savage benchrest rifle, was the best out of the box rifle available. Several of the shooters had Savege rifles, some with Krieger barrels, and custon stocks. These guys can and do shoot 1 1/2" groups at 600 yards.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 03:03:51 PM »
Thank you, Frank!  That is encouraging to hear.

I think I'm going to just bite the bullet (no pun intended LOL) and go for the Savage.  Now it's just a matter of which model.

Moosie

Knotacare

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 05:01:13 PM »
I decided on a Ruger M77 Gunsite Scout Rifle .308 Win Left hand. Getting tired of bullets flying past my face ;D Hard to find LH rifles now & this is light & very accurate to 700yrd which is further than I'll ever shoot it. A little pricey, but after reading until my eyeballs got sore I decided this is a good fit & I always liked Ruger products. Should get it tomorrow or Friday

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 05:52:53 PM »
Very nice! sounds like you're going to enjoy it.

My eyes don't hurt yet from reading LOL, which to me says I haven't read enough!

;D

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 03:34:24 PM »
I've already purchased the AR-10 lowers though they are of the 80% units.  ;D Haven't started the process as my drill press suddenly decided to come apart on me. Currently looking at new ones and the project isn't a rush so no hurry.

That said, I've been wanting a 308 for awhile and most of the reading I've done points me at the Savage and Ruger. If I was a lefty the Ruger would take it. I'm not so I see a Savage down the road. At which point Bridgeville will likely have a new member   :)

I really wish there was a place to distance shoot closer to Middletown...

Knotacare

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 03:25:08 PM »
I went to the range a few weeks ago & put about 30 rounds through the Ruger .308 Scout.  It seems to be a very nice rifle & pretty accurate from the start. Just got a good muzzle break in & will be going back ASAP & put another 50 or so rounds through it. This break is supposed to reduce recoil by 30-40% ...we'll see.

Schmenge

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 09:11:29 PM »
I love my Savage. It shoots groups as good as my Browning for half the price.
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

Kimber HD

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 03:12:22 AM »
I had a savage scout in .308 - much more accurate than I am.  Never had any issues with it; but traded it as I never had a need for it.