Author Topic: HB58 introduced today  (Read 4757 times)

Trapper

HB58 introduced today
« on: May 07, 2013, 08:09:20 PM »
http://legis.delaware.gov/LIS/lis147.nsf/vwLegislation/HB+58/$file/legis.html?open

SPONSOR:   
Rep. Mitchell & Sen. Peterson

Reps. Barbieri, Bolden, Heffernan, Kowalko, Longhurst, Potter, Schwartzkopf, Scott; Sens. Henry, Sokola

HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
147th GENERAL ASSEMBLY

HOUSE BILL NO. 58

AN ACT TO AMEND TITLE 11 OF THE DELAWARE CODE RELATING TO PROHIBITED CONDUCT IN CONNECTION WITH LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINES.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF DELAWARE:

Section 1.  Amend Title 11 of the Delaware Code by making insertions as shown by underlining as follows:
§ 1462.  Manufacture, sale, transfer, purchase, receipt or unlawful possession of large-capacity magazines.
(a)  Except as otherwise specified herein, no person shall manufacture, sell, transfer, purchase, receive or possess unlawfully any large-capacity magazine.
(b)   For purposes of this section:
(1)  “Large-capacity magazine” means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not include (A) an ammunition feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds, or (B) an attached tubular ammunition feeding device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.
(2)  “Licensed firearms dealer” means any person licensed as a deadly weapons dealer pursuant to Chapter 9 of Title 24 and 18 U.S.C. § 921 et seq.
(3) “Not readily operable” means that the large-capacity magazine or firearm is disassembled, broken down, or stored in a manner to prevent its immediate use.
(4)  “Possess” or “possession” means that the person has the item under his or her dominion and authority, and that said item is at the relevant time physically available and accessible to the person.
(5) “Possess unlawfully” or “unlawful possession” means possession of a large-capacity magazine in a public place while in possession of a firearm capable of accepting such magazine.  It shall be an affirmative defense to prosecution for unlawful possession of a large-capacity magazine under this section that either the large-capacity magazine or the firearm was not readily operable.
(6)   “Public place” has the meaning set forth in 11 Del.C. § 1460(b)(3); provided, however, that any shooting range, as such term is defined in paragraph (8) herein, shall not be considered a public place.
(7) “Qualified active duty law-enforcement officer” has the meaning set forth in 11 Del.C. § 1441A(a)(5).
(8)  “Qualified retired law-enforcement officer” has the meaning set forth in 11 Del.C. § 1441A(a)(6).
(9)  “Shooting range” means any land or structure used and operated in accordance with all applicable laws and ordinances for the shooting of targets for training, education, practice, recreation, or competition.
(10) “Short-term rental” means the rental of a large-capacity magazine by a shooting range to a customer for use upon the premises of the shooting range in accordance with all applicable laws and ordinances, for a duration of no more than 8 hours.
(c)  This section does not apply to the purchase, receipt or possession of a large-capacity magazine by:
(1) any member of the armed forces of the United States or member of the National Guard, provided such person is acting within the scope of his or her official duties;
(2) any qualified active duty law-enforcement officer or qualified retired law-enforcement officer; or
(3) any employee or authorized representative of a shooting range in connection with the short-term rental of large-capacity magazines.
(d) This section does not apply to any licensed firearms dealer that is:
(1) repairing or servicing a large-capacity magazine for any person authorized by law to possess same;
(2) altering a large-capacity magazine so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds; or
(3) selling a large-capacity magazine to another licensed dealer or to any other person exempted under subsection (c) of this section.
(e) This section does not apply to any manufacturer that is:
(1) repairing or servicing a large-capacity magazine for any person authorized by law to possess same;
(2) altering a large-capacity magazine so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds; or
(3) manufacturing a large-capacity magazine for export or for sale to government agencies or the military pursuant to applicable state and federal laws and regulations.
(f)  Any person violating this section shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor for a first offense and a class G felony for any subsequent offense.  The Superior Court shall have exclusive jurisdiction over all violations of this section.
                Section 2.  If any provision of this Act or the application thereof to any person or circumstance is held invalid, the invalidity does not affect other provisions or applications of the Act which can be given effect without the invalid provision or application; and, to that end, the provisions of this Act are declared to be severable.
                Section 3.  This Act shall have an effective date of July 1, 2013.

SYNOPSIS

This bill would prohibit the manufacture, sale, purchase, transfer or delivery of large-capacity magazines, which are defined as ammunition feeding devices with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.  Acknowledging that thousands of law-abiding Delawareans currently possess large-capacity magazines lawfully, the bill would make such possession unlawful only if it occurs in a public place while in possession of a firearm capable of accepting it.  Possession of a large-capacity magazine would not be unlawful in areas that are not public places, and an exception exists to allow the possession and use of large-capacity magazines at shooting ranges.  Persons who violate this Act would be guilty of a class A misdemeanor for a first offense and a class G felony for any subsequent offense.
Esophageal Atresia Awareness

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: HB58 introduced today
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 08:22:25 PM »
Yes, this definitely needs to be stopped in its tracks! 

Writing to the nitwits, uhhh I mean legislators, now. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Fishhunter911

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 08:26:57 PM »
Yes, this definitely needs to be stopped in its tracks! 

Writing to the nitwits, uhhh I mean legislators, now. 

Moosie

Had it right the first time.....

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 08:52:01 PM »
That was the Bill we testified AGAINST last Wednesday.  So far it is just out of committee last week.  I did not see it on the agenda yet for the full House.

See this thread with 4 pages of comments: http://deccw.com/index.php?topic=2524.0
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Trapper

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 09:16:31 PM »
It was just assigned to a committee, no action is pending. I just wanted to put it out there. I didn't just want to add it to the other thread. Sorry for the confusion.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 09:19:44 PM »
I may be missing something, but I was in Dover last week 1 May to testify against it while in committee.  They voted it out of committee that afternoon.

From your link at top of page: 
Actions History:
   May 01, 2013 - Reported Out of Committee (HOUSE ADMINISTRATION) in House with 3 On Its Merits
Mar 20, 2013 - Introduced and Assigned to House Administration Committee in House
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Trapper

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 09:40:18 PM »
You aren't missing anything. Disregard me... Obviously I can't read nor comprehend dates.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 10:48:20 PM »
As I may have mentioned before........we will probably not defeat this, since the libs are intent on disarming us, and not the bad guys.  But, I will sharpen my pencil and start writing..........again.

My frustration level is maxed out with this governor and his one party system.  It seems we have no voice big enough to make any difference.  Even those we thought were on our side have gone over to the darkside.  I feel trouble in the force.............!!!
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 11:22:59 PM »
Well then, if you dont object can we add a drop or two of this???

[attachment deleted by admin]

Trapper

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 11:39:21 PM »
Thread lock, That's clever... Nothing to see here.... 8)