Author Topic: How many extra magazines do you carry?  (Read 9445 times)

Moosie

• Life Member
How many extra magazines do you carry?
« on: May 11, 2013, 08:55:49 PM »
When I first started carrying, I carried at least one extra magazine. I've since changed my primary ccw and for some reason stopped carrying an extra magazine. I think because I don't have a magazine pouch for my primary and just really haven't put a lot of thought into it. Before I go on the hunt for a magazine pouch for my "favorite" that I've been carrying...  I wanted to see how many others typically don't carry an extra one.

Thanks,

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

JOET

• Life Member
Re: How many extra magazines do you carry?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 09:12:37 PM »
If I do< I usually carry it in my pocket, a 7 rounder..
New Castle County

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 10:37:50 PM »
I can’t help but think caliber might be the determination.  When I carried a 1911 I always had 2 extra mags with 7 rnds each.  Always seemed so heavy.  Now my trade off is 9mm and extra 1 mag with 15 rnds and I’m still feeling it.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 10:46:41 PM »
Normally no extra.  Now I carry 14+1 of 45.  If the mag ban passes, I will go to 29 instead of 15.
(8+1 in the gun and 2 X 10 spare)  Mag ban will work real well huh??
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 11:54:24 PM »
My preferred carry is a Glock 32 (.357) which is 13+1. I used to be of the mindset that if I couldn't stop the threat with 14 that I should learn to throw my firearm at them LOL.  Now, I'm re-thinking things.  Not for any particular reason.

Yes, Radnor LOL. The mag ban will work wonders... until someone figures out that we all move to something similar to what you mentioned and a genius legislator puts a limit on the number of rounds we can have on our person. 

Hmmm.. just food for thought (for me).  Thanks.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 12:08:56 AM »
I always carry an extra magazine (most times two) regardless of the gun or caliber.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 01:15:28 AM »
My preferred carry is a Glock 32 (.357) which is 13+1. I used to be of the mindset that if I couldn't stop the threat with 14 that I should learn to throw my firearm at them LOL.  Now, I'm re-thinking things. 
What is the weakest part???  The mag.  If it fails, you're SOL.  If the gun fails, you can always smack, tap, and rack.  I need to start carrying the extra mag....
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 01:15:43 AM »
Isn't there a song that goes something like, "I'm a little drunk on you and high on summer time?  LOL..  TK, I'm sorry you have to put up with such abuse.  ;D

The weakest part of my defense? before or after I've had a few martini's?  LOL.  honestly, I don't carry if I'm drinking and I dont drink if I'm carrying. 

That's a tough question for me to answer. I haven't thought about it. 

Moosie

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 01:30:57 AM »
It's a Glock, Moosie. Unless you've modified the gun or the magazine, you can trust it with your life.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 01:38:38 AM »
LOL, there are few things I trust my life to and even fewer people. However, that being said, I do think my Glock is reliable. I'm not one to make modifications to anything if it's good just the way it is.   :)

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 11:12:37 AM »
It's a Glock, Moosie. Unless you've modified the gun or the magazine, you can trust it with your life.

Highly reliable firearms can fail because of human interaction.  A good case in point:  A brand specific 45 cal ammo over pressured a $1,100 1911 clone.  Split the barrel.  Shooters Choice keeps it for demonstration.  My backup plan  trust it with run for your life!
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 11:34:43 AM »
I usually carry a S&W 38+P, so I have one extra speedloader handy.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 08:57:57 PM »
It depends on what I am carrying. If it is my Colt 1911 I have 1 in the chamber and an 8 round mag loaded. I have at least 1 extra 8 rounder with me. If I have my Glock 17 I might carry an extra mag, but its pretty rare.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

turfmn

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 02:39:32 AM »
I don't carry any extra mags on my person. I do keep an extra mag in the car. I carry a 1911 CCO(Officer's frame with a Commander length slide and barrel).

Newlife503

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 02:57:05 AM »
I keep one extra mag
NRA Life Member
DSSA Member
DE,PA,FL,UT CC Permits
New Castle County