Author Topic: Review: Womens tank top holster by UnderTech UnderCover  (Read 13582 times)

Moosie

• Life Member
Review: Womens tank top holster by UnderTech UnderCover
« on: May 19, 2013, 02:16:30 AM »

I am always looking for more concealment methods. As a woman, I find I'm pretty limited in concealment methods if I'm not dressed like the Michelin woman. I purchased the UnderTech UnderCover women's tank top for $49.99 (plus shipping) on Amazon.  I intend to try it with my Taurus .380 to see if I still feel the same, but right now I'm looking to return it - or sell it to someone on here if they're interested.

I ordered an XL (no sizing information is posted anywhere that I could find.  I searched numerous sites for it).  I have broader shoulders than most women, however, being it was a tank top, I don't feel that it contributed to the tight fit. Keep in mind, that there's no support in the tank top itself so you're also having to wear a bra underneath too.  In the summer, I just can't see wearing all these layers when I have a few other options for concealment.

I used my Glock 32 tonight while I ran to the store. I first just put a tee shirt on over it. I would not be comfortable wearing this out in public because you could see a mile away that I had something stuffed under my arm. The other thing I didn't care for was that the holster portion itself was made entirely of elastic. It has a loop that snaps to keep your firearm in the holster, but with the Glock tonight, I felt like it was able to lean away from my body which just added to the printing issue. 

Happy carrying, kids!

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
Re: Review: Womens tank top holster by UnderTech UnderCover
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 11:03:02 AM »
Moosie,

You ASSUME they would see it.  Yesterday, I did finger printing for 23 people.  So needless to say, ALL of them were less than an arms length away.
Later in the class we started talking about holsters.  I lifted my polo and showed them I was carrying a full size 1911.  Now, I will be honest, was I
printed a little, YES!  I know it.  These are gun people and most of them did NOT notice it!!!

What do you think the SHEEPLE will see?????  Nothing.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

JOET

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 11:49:14 AM »
Moosie: I bought the same kind of tee-shirt for men pretty much just like your picture...I didnt like it, pretty much for the same reasons that you described. Just more stuff in the drawer along with holsters that dont work..
New Castle County

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 12:43:07 PM »
Radnor,

I know what you mean. When I looked in the mirror, I kept thinking it looked like I had a newspaper tucked under my arm - under my shirt.

JoeT, I'm hoping to return it for a refund.  This is one of those "holsters" that I won't use. 

Back to the drawing board! :)

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 01:21:13 AM »
JoeT, I'm hoping to return it for a refund.  This is one of those "holsters" that I won't use. 

+1 JOET, I agree w/ Moosie.  I'll take your word for it, but I dont think you have the "assets" like in the picture.....  ;D
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 02:00:47 PM »
This holster looks like one of those things that looked good on paper, but not in actuality. If you are using this holster under a blouse or shirt and or coat, how how do you get the velcro strap off and draw with all that obstruction to work around?  Maybe women that carry should give real thought to wearing slacks or jeans with a belt and a OWB or IWB holster like LEO's do.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Bmel17

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 02:43:01 PM »
What about those concealment purses?  They seem like a nice option if you don't mind off-body carry.  I have a 5.11 covrt 18 bag (backpack) I use and love.  It carries great for when it isn't convenient on me or a it's a backup. No one notices a backpack in the crowd, neither would anyone notice a purse .  HTH

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 02:54:40 PM »
If the ladies get a concealment purse, get a GOOD one.  We had a few from I think Roma leather.  The zipper blew out before the end of the PPOTH instructors course.  The velcro ones seem to hold up better.  Would also think about one with a cable in the shoulder strap to make it difficult for a cut and run.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 06:20:39 PM »
Speaking of carrying in a bag, I noticed for the first time Nur Temple was checking bags and purses at the weekend gun show. That's a downside to bag carry. They also had signs on the tables that read "No loaded guns". Of course I interpreted that it was for the sellers, not permit holders like me. I was carrying.
New Castle County

Bmel17

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 07:09:57 PM »
Speaking of carrying in a bag, I noticed for the first time Nur Temple was checking bags and purses at the weekend gun show. That's a downside to bag carry. They also had signs on the tables that read "No loaded guns". Of course I interpreted that it was for the sellers, not permit holders like me. I was carrying.

A large of these purpose built carry bags are utilizing hidden compartments.  Simple as show and go as I have had mine checked before. 

Radnor, great point with the cable in the shoulder strap! 

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 07:44:33 PM »
And when she sits, DON'T leave it on the back of the chair for a grab and run!

DeWriter

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 09:59:24 PM »
Ladies, instead of going gender-specific, try thinking outside the box. Some deep concealment holsters for men might also work for you women, such as this: http://smartcarry.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1

Sorry, don't know how to make that an active link.

Big Dave                  <---------- Big Dummy!

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 12:25:13 AM »
You are smarter than you know Big Dave.
New Castle County

Capnball

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 05:25:09 PM »
I purchased a similar system from Active Pro Gear Inc. Instead of being a shirt it is a velcro band across the chest with thin shoulder straps to support the weight of the firearm. Available for either right or left hand cross-draw. After trying a Taurus compact 9mm and a J-frame revolver in it, either one works ok. This system really only works in the fall or winter as you must wear a T-Shirt underneath of it and another loose fitting shirt over it. It doesn't print much with small frame firearms. For a male I'm on the small side being only 5'7. I think someone larger than me might be able to pull off a full frame gun in this rig. I don't think that this would work too well for most women as it is like wearing a bra. And as my wife said "One bra is annoying, two would be intolerable in a very short time".

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 12:12:13 PM »
Some goodies for the ladies from the NRA:

http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/Products.aspx?c=30
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun