Author Topic: Zimmerman Trial: Tired of media bias? See gun-friendly legal coverage  (Read 59137 times)

Re: Zimmerman Trial: Tired of media bias? See gun-friendly legal coverage
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2013, 12:51:26 AM »
Just to catch me up on something is the jury only going to have the 6 people or are they going to pick another six for a total of 12?
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Law of Self Defense

• Law of Self Defense
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2013, 12:03:58 AM »
Only 6 in Florida, except for capital cases.

Andrew
@LawSelfDefense
Facebook:  Law of Self Defense
Andrew F. Branca, Attorney at Law (MA)
www.lawofselfdefense.com
This message does NOT constitute legal advice, and does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship/confidentiality.
If you have an immediate need for legal advice, consult a competent attorney in your jurisdiction.

« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2013, 01:40:33 AM »
Thanks
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Law of Self Defense

• Law of Self Defense
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2013, 01:42:27 AM »
Sure thing.  Most states use 12, it's a natural question.

Andrew
@LawSelfDefense
www.lawofselfdefense.com
This message does NOT constitute legal advice, and does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship/confidentiality.
If you have an immediate need for legal advice, consult a competent attorney in your jurisdiction.

Law of Self Defense

• Law of Self Defense
Zimmerman Trial Day 1: Opening Statements & Theories of the Case
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2013, 01:11:29 PM »
Hey folks,

Today marks the first day of the trial proper, with opening statements.  It is with these statements that both the State and the defense will set out their theory of the case.  We will, of course, be covering today's trial with all-day live coverage, including video streaming and a running Twitter feed of selected commenters, here:  Legal Insurrection Zimmerman Trial LIVE - Day 1 - Opening Statements.

To date, the State's apparent theory has been that Zimmerman "profiled, chased, and killed Martin." 

The theory of the defense, in addition to challenging the underlying criminality  of Zimmerman's alleged "profiling" and "chasing," is that Zimmerman's killing of Martin was done in necessary and lawful self-defense, as provided under Florida law.

It should be fascinating to see what "facts" the State points to in both supporting the alleged criminal charge (which the State will have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt) and in undermining Zimmerman's claim of self-defense (which the State will have to disprove beyond a reasonable doubt).

P.S.  FYI, we've pulled together a compilation of our notes on these six final jurors (and the four alternates) here: Meet the Zimmerman Trial Jurors.

Andrew
@LawSelfDefense
www.lawofselfdefense.com

Law of Self Defense

• Law of Self Defense
Mid-day analysis of opening statements
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2013, 05:23:29 PM »
Hey Folks,

I just posted up my mid-day analysis of the opening statements so far, you can find it at the bottom of today's live coverage post:  http://bit.ly/18aHA5t

Andrew
@LawSelfDefense
www.lawofselfdefense.com

Law of Self Defense

• Law of Self Defense
Zimmerman Trial-- Day 1 Wrap-Up: Opening Statements
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2013, 10:19:55 PM »
Hey folks,

I just posted up the wrap-up for day 1 of the Zimmerman Trial. I just cover the opening statements in this wrap-up, including video of the actual statements, as well as my analysis.  The State also moved through it's first four (well, 3.5) witnesses later in the afternoon, but I'll cover those in a separate post.

(Note--this post includes both my mid-day analysis, which you might already have read--but I added lots of video, pics, and tweets to the original--as well as the remainder of West's opening after the lunch recess.)

I know much of the mainstream media loved the State's dramatic half-hour opening, and disliked West's lengthy opening and his rather flat delivery (as well as his admittedly lame joke), but in terms of substance West was clearly the dominant player today.  His opening may not make for great television news video clips, but he banged on the actual facts in evidence for two hours, whereas the State's minimal opening statement was almost entirely fact free (and many of the "facts" they did cite were either favorable to the defense--such as the sharp spike in recent crime in the neighborhood--or clearly irrelevant to guilt--such as the fact that Zimmerman's gun was properly loaded to capacity.

In any case, if you'd like to read it you can find it here:   Zimmerman Trial Day One – Analysis of Opening Statements

http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/06/zimmerman-trial-day-one-analysis-of-opening-statements/

We'll do it all again tomorrow, of course, starting at 8:30AM rather than the usual 9AM.

Best,

Andrew
@LawSelfDefense
www.lawofselfdefense.com

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2013, 11:51:03 PM »
I noticed some showmanship in West's delivery.  He pretended to not remember the names of the streets on the aerial picture of the community and then went of to explain George not being able to name the street in his phone call.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Law of Self Defense

• Law of Self Defense
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2013, 11:53:38 PM »
I noticed some showmanship in West's delivery.  He pretended to not remember the names of the streets on the aerial picture of the community and then went of to explain George not being able to name the street in his phone call.

Indeed.  He's not quite the slow kid in class he'd like some to believe.

Andrew
@LawSelfDefense
www.lawofselfdefense.com

Law of Self Defense

• Law of Self Defense
Hey folks,

I just posted up the wrap-up for day 1 of the Zimmerman Trial--this wrap-up includes analysis and video of the first four of the State's witnesses.

Zimmerman Trial Day One – Analysis of State’s First Four Witnesses

Enjoy,

Andrew
@LawSelfDefense
www.lawofselfdefense.com

Law of Self Defense

• Law of Self Defense
Zimmerman Trial Day 2: Video, Analysis of State's Case & Witnesses
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2013, 01:44:43 PM »
Hey folks,

Today marks the second day of the trial proper, with the State continuing to present it's case and witnesses.

You can find the links to today's coverage including live video streaming and embedded Twitter feed, yesterday's analysis and video of the State's four witnesses, and yesterday's analysis and video of opening statements here:

Zimmerman Trial Day 2: Video, Analysis of State’s Case & Witnesses

Enjoy,

Andrew
@LawSelfDefense
www.lawofselfdefense.com

JOET

• Life Member
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2013, 09:12:01 PM »
Great job " Law of Self Defense" at least with you, we will get a legal analysis of the trial that is not marred with someone's unprofessional legal opionion. We should all just weigh the facts and nothing but, and let the State prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt.

Just me 2 sense
New Castle County

Law of Self Defense

• Law of Self Defense
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2013, 09:49:22 PM »
Well today was a complete and utter disaster for the prosecution.  They may need to be put into suicide watch.

Detailed analysis and video to follow.

Andrew
@LawSelfDefense
www.lawofselfdefense.com

« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2013, 10:18:04 PM »
Well today was a complete and utter disaster for the prosecution.  They may need to be put into suicide watch.

Detailed analysis and video to follow.

Andrew
@LawSelfDefense

I would like to agree, but I think there are some that fear riots way too much for Zimmerman to be found not guilty. As soon as he was not charged for several months and then was as soon as Al and Jesse showed up and started running their mouths there was no other way for it to end.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2013, 11:00:28 PM »
HLN (Headline News) has live coverage most days. Watching it right now...
New Castle County