Author Topic: What are your thoughts on Gold Dot vs Gold Dot Short Barrel?  (Read 4324 times)

MarkB

• Life Member
What are your thoughts on Gold Dot vs Gold Dot Short Barrel?  Most of the carry pistols have short barrels.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

MarkB

• Life Member
Re: What are your thoughts on Gold Dot vs Gold Dot Short Barrel?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 03:12:26 AM »
I have both the XD-S .45 and 9mm.  I have Corbon 124 gr for the 9mm and 230 gr Gold Dot Short barrel for the .45.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

fdegree

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 12:44:17 PM »
Good question...I'm interested in what others have to say too.

I have done some research on the short barrel ammo...by reading other reviews online.  Most folks that have commented on it, seem to really like it.

Now, I have not used their standard ammo, but I have used their short barrel ammo in my Glock 26 (9 mm).  Its accuracy seemed to be off at first...I quickly realized it was me not having proper trigger control.  After settling down, and focusing more, the short barrel ammo was just as accurate as any other at the distances that I tested...up to 15 yards.

I can't say for sure that there is any noticeable difference with the short barrel ammo in a short barrel gun.  Hopefully, others we chime in with more knowledge then I have and enlighten us both.
Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
-Unknown-

A battle avoided cannot be lost.
-Sun Tzu-

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 06:37:18 PM »
None of us can choose when and where we end up (hopefully never) using our concealed carry...  but I'd prefer the SB because of the way it opens up faster. Opening faster means less penetration and a less likely chance that you'll shoot through your target.

There's not that much difference in velocity between the two, BUT the regular GD is a lot easier to find. The SB's are also a little cheaper. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 10:55:54 PM »
I found this after a search.  It compares 9mm Gold Dot to 9mm Gold Dot Short Barrel - Interesting.

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2012/09/gel-testing-speer-9mm-gold-dot-vs-gold.html
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

fdegree

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 01:35:40 AM »
Nice find...it was interesting to see the differences.
Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
-Unknown-

A battle avoided cannot be lost.
-Sun Tzu-