Author Topic: does anyone use Liberty Ammunition Ultimate Defense  (Read 6664 times)

sethinde

does anyone use Liberty Ammunition Ultimate Defense
« on: June 25, 2013, 03:16:21 AM »
I bought a box of 20 Liberty Ammunition Ultimate Defense 9mm (50 Grains  :o ) a while ago and I am going to put a few rounds through my XDm 3.8.  I am considering using this as my carry ammo.  I was just curious if anyone else uses it, or has experience with it.

Obleo

• Life Member
Re: does anyone use Liberty Ammunition Ultimate Defense
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 01:33:29 PM »
Assuming the 50 grains is a powder measure and not the bullet weight,  these must be ++P, no?
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 06:13:30 PM »
http://www.blackriflemags.com/product/liberty-ammunition-ultra-defense-9mm/

Is this the ammo you're referring to? I ask because you asked about LA "Ultimate" Defense and the only term I could find was "Ultra" defense..  wasn't sure if I just couldn't find info on the "Ultra". 

I don't have any first hand experience with it. I did search for the name + reviews and came across this thread.  They have gel shot video and discuss it on there.  http://www.ar-15.co/threads/93123-New-Ammo

Hope this helps! 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

sethinde

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 04:02:11 AM »
That is indeed the ammo I was referring to.  I finally tracked down 3 Boxes of 20 rounds for testing.  I am going to shoot a ham, some water bottles frozen and unfrozen and some old computer parts.  I will post results.  The 50 grains listed is for the weight of the bullet.  They are +P rounds and have a high velocity.  They are listed at 2000 FPS, but most people see 1800-1900+.  Supposedly they are very nasty.  I do know they come at a premium. $29.99 for 20 rounds, but my wife and daughter's Lives are worth it.  They are very light weight and I had to open the box to verify that there were in fact 20 rounds in the box.  It's like a box of air. I think this will make for a more lightweight comfortable carry.

Newlife503

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 01:26:37 AM »
That is indeed the ammo I was referring to.  I finally tracked down 3 Boxes of 20 rounds for testing.  I am going to shoot a ham, some water bottles frozen and unfrozen and some old computer parts.  I will post results.  The 50 grains listed is for the weight of the bullet.  They are +P rounds and have a high velocity.  They are listed at 2000 FPS, but most people see 1800-1900+.  Supposedly they are very nasty.  I do know they come at a premium. $29.99 for 20 rounds, but my wife and daughter's Lives are worth it.  They are very light weight and I had to open the box to verify that there were in fact 20 rounds in the box.  It's like a box of air. I think this will make for a more lightweight comfortable carry.

I currently have these in my ccw, though I have not had a chance to fire them yet.
NRA Life Member
DSSA Member
DE,PA,FL,UT CC Permits
New Castle County

sethinde

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 04:15:03 AM »
 ???

You carry ammo you have never fired from your carry firearm???!!!

Newlife503

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 11:22:00 AM »
???

I carry what I can find.  I plan however to remedy that tomorrow.
NRA Life Member
DSSA Member
DE,PA,FL,UT CC Permits
New Castle County

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 10:19:11 PM »
???

I would not shoot any ammo from my carry pistol until I have tried it at the range to see how it performs.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 12:36:56 AM »
I remember reading their stats being for full sized firearms and in smaller, more concealable firearms with shorter barrels those specs we greatly diminished! It was awhile ago that I read the article but will try and find it again later tonight.

Looking at the ballistic gel tests I didn't like the fragmentation of the round nor the initial explosive impact. I think the round expands to much and to quickly. A medium coat, sweatshirt and an undershirt could have this expanding way to soon. I'd like to see a lot more testing done before I'd feel ok with it.

I'll stick with Gold Dots, etc in our SD firearms until I see more testing. My and my family's lives are worth that.  ;D

Its an interesting round for sure but it is entirely untested compared to the others duty and SD rounds available today.. IMO of course. I will say Great marketing though!