Author Topic: HB-88 DEFEATED in the Senate  (Read 12610 times)

groundgrid

• Life Member
Re: HB-88 DEFEATED in the Senate
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 03:57:47 PM »
Apparently several issues were brought up during debate that indicated not enough protection for gun owners who might seek care for temporary conditions or those "mental illnesses"  that have absolutely nothing to do with being dangerous. For example, a shooter with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Someone who loads his/her own ammunition & measures powder to .001g, cleans every spec of dust off of the shells & wears surgical gloves when loading them is not dangerous, however, they probably are diagnosable as having OCD.

IMO, with some further tweaking, this could be a good bill. C4L's analysis is probably a bit severe, nevertheless, it shows the built up frustration felt by gun owners over the barrage of anti-gun bills that have been introduced.

I'm hoping that some of the senators trade their support in return for the permanent killing of the other bills that we have been fighting so that they are not held over to the next session.

My greatest concern for today is that they might try to waive the rules and pass one of the other bills late this evening or even reintroduce the AWB.

Should this happen, we need to be ready for a MAJOR bust of outrage tomorrow morning.
My senator is on our side. If yours isn't please call or e-mail them today, more than once if they don't immediately indicate
that they will oppose a rule waiver.

It would be great if someone could be there tonight ready to post any last minute developments from their smartphone.

Here’s the real issue: when your religion is government, and government is god, you cannot tolerate any other God before it
(The reason why Liberal/Progressives have waged a war on Christianity)

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2013, 08:28:10 PM »
There is no such thing as a "good bill" with regards to gun control. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

firststatefirearms

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 12:38:08 AM »
Amen Mossie!!!!!
An armed citizen refuses to be a victim.

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 12:53:11 AM »
We don't need gun control, we need people control, especially with psychological problems that have access to firearms.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 01:35:06 AM »
There is no such thing as a "good bill" with regards to gun control. 

Moosie

Amen

Moosie for Governor!!!!
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2013, 01:37:41 AM »
What’s in this bill that has everyone throwing their Sunday away?

I thought we wanted the control freaks to focus on the people with clear psychological problems instead of all gun owners?

Look,  I understand that any control is onerous but come on now!  Almost all of these mass killings were by diseased people that should not have had firearms.

I understand that theory, but there seems to be too much leeway to the point were simply taking an anti-depressant could cost someone gun rights.

I am sure if they would lose voting rights based on mental illness or iq level that the same people supporting most gun control would change their tune real quick.

If you give an inch they will push for a mile.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2013, 01:42:10 AM »
Bill would have to be rewritten and re-introduced with a new number assigned. This session ends in a few days, so it would have to be brought up in the next session.
By then they will be working on some other hot emergency. You know how the Liberal/Progressives love to take advantage of an emergency to get something done?

When I got the paper this morning I noticed there was an article talking about the legislature and how this session they did not really do much to help the economy. That is supposed to be the big thing on people's mind. I have not read it all yet and just skimmed on it, but it seems our growth is pretty low ( MBNA, GM, and Chryler layoffs did not help). It mentioned something I was thinking for some time.

Instead of fixing the economy our legislature decides to worry about same sex marriage ( not debating right or wrong just other issues bigger that effect way more people) and transtesticle type stuff.

Reminds me of the US Senate. We have countless issues ( just Obama scandals NSA, bengazi, IRS) to deal with and they worry about how to let 11 million people stay to compete with 22 million americans out of work.

Yeah that makes sense. Worry about votes ( DE and the national senate) than actually trying to fix the country.

groundgrid

• Life Member
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 04:42:07 AM »

12:38 AM Session adjourned.

HB-88 not reconsidered.

Here’s the real issue: when your religion is government, and government is god, you cannot tolerate any other God before it

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2013, 05:00:37 AM »
Thank you @groundgrid for monitoring and reporting on the Legislature.  Appears that neither HB 58 Mag bill and HB 67 "Safe School Zone" aka Free Fire Zone bill went anywhere but down, correct?
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2013, 06:29:19 AM »
We don't need gun control, we need people control, especially with psychological problems that have access to firearms.

Anyone with ill intentions - with or without psychological problems - will find a way to put their hands on a firearm.  No one in their right mind (no pun intended) will willingly walk into a firearms dealer and check "yes" that they have mental health issues.  Just a side note that the supposed shooter in Newtown, CT had tried to purchase a firearm.. was turned down at the dealer.  Ohhh wait. That's right. He didn't use his own weapons.  Just wanted to point out how helpful CT gun law was in this case. 

Again, there is no such thing as a "good" gun control bill. This would have given people a warm fuzzy feeling, but done nothing but further advance law enforcement to finding ways to manipulate their reach and take firearms from law abiding citizens. 

Moosie

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

groundgrid

• Life Member
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2013, 01:15:01 PM »
HB-58 & HB-67 will remain on the "Ready List" for the next session.

They are far from gone.
We will need to have a strategy in place by next January to make sure that they are killed permanently.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2013, 01:40:32 PM »
This is exactly why this forum is so necessary.  I’ve just received an education and can direct my efforts accordingly.  Thank you.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2013, 03:23:25 PM »
Mossie may be wrong, there could be be a good gun bill, like the Second amendment. However, do not expect liberals, left wingers, our our current administration to introduce any.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2013, 01:56:05 AM »
Here's an extract from an email from Rep Danny Short who opposed the HB 58 mag bill.

OPINION:
House Bill 88 - Keeping Guns Out
of the Hands of the Mentally Ill

By State Rep. Danny Short

Many area residents have asked me about House Bill 88, a bipartisan bill aimed at keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill.

From comments that have been made at my coffee meetings, and from e-mails I have received, it is obvious there is a lot of misinformation and misconceptions about this measure.

With that in mind, here is a re-cap of the bill and its current disposition.

Sought by Attorney General Beau Biden, and the result of a consensus among lawmakers from both sides of the aisle, as well as representatives of the law enforcement and medical communities, the bill was touted as potential model legislation for other states to emulate.

Before passing the House of Representatives, it was amended multiple times to address issues raised by both legislators and the National Rifle Association (NRA).
 I
The changes led Shannon Alford, Delaware State Liaison for the NRA's Institute for Legislative Action to testify that her organization was satisfied with the final product.  "Through a lot of hard work, our concerns ... have been addressed with the associated amendments [and] we have withdrawn our opposition to the bill.  We no longer consider this legislation particularly threatening to law-abiding gun owners."

With the NRA dropping its objections to the measure, the bill passed the House on May 14th by a vote 40 to 1.

As amended, House Bill 88 would expand the existing requirement that mental health professionals must report to law enforcement officials those people they believe pose a danger to themselves or others.  Police agencies would investigate such claims and report their findings, including whether they believe the individual has firearms in his or her possession, to the Department of Justice.  After evaluating the results of the investigation, the Department of Justice could then decide to pursue a case in Superior Court, asking the court to issue an order declaring such an individual as a "person prohibited," requiring him or her to relinquish their guns.

People against whom such an order was being sought would have full access to due process; could present evidence and speak at their court proceedings; and would have the right to appeal the court's decision.  Those that lost their court battle could later petition the court to have the order lifted and their firearms returned.

Under the legislation, all of the burden would be on the state to make its case and would require "clear and convincing evidence" -- the highest civil standard under Delaware law.

Between its passage in the House and its consideration in the Senate on June 27th, e-mail campaigns against House Bill 88 often demonized its intent and spread fear and misinformation about the bill.

In that poisoned atmosphere, 13 of the Senate's 21 members voted against the bill on June 27th, defeating it.

The bill could be reconsidered in 2014.

As a gun owner, avid sportsman, NRA member and Second Amendment advocate, I would like to see House Bill 88 enacted.  I agree with the NRA, that this bill does not present a threat to gun owners and that it may help to prevent a tragedy by denying mentally ill people easy access to firearms.

That is a goal all Delawareans should support.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2013, 02:13:09 AM »
Give and inch and they push for a mile. I dont like the bill and think is there is way too much mischief that can occur with it.