Author Topic: .22 shortage???  (Read 8353 times)

Just Bill

• Life Member
.22 shortage???
« on: July 06, 2013, 01:49:27 PM »
Just returned from scout camp where I teach rifle merit badge.  We have 150K rounds on hand and thurs we shot 5000+.  Depending on the class sizes, we shoot about 16-20K/wk. No shortage there.  The shooting director has lots of contacts and has been doing this a long time.  It sure helps.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Re: .22 shortage???
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 12:43:08 AM »
Ok so we all know whose hoarding the .22 now!  ;D

Great to hear the scouts are still permitted to shoot and you have no shortage for them.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 11:28:08 AM »
We have a very resourceful and well connected shooting sports director that can wheel and deal well.  He gets rifles and ammo at very reasonable prices.  He has been at this a long time so has lots of connections.

We are not hoarding, most of it will be gone by fall.  How could you have a shooting program without ammo???
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 11:30:55 AM by Just Bill »
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 12:26:13 PM »
We do a lot of shooting during the week.

And for the record, I have no knowledge of someone shooting a round of trap at 0630....  :-X
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 11:17:28 AM »
Of course not, you had your shooting muffs on!!!  As Sgt Shultz always said, I know nothing!!!  Forget .22 ammo, ask Radnor how many rounds of 12 ga shotgun(and clays) they go thru.
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 12:40:43 PM »
12ga, not nearly as many as you guys.

For summer camp (5 weeks) somewhere between 8-10K.

CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Re: .22L shortage???
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 01:58:47 PM »
I was in Easton, Md. the other day and stopped in the Walmart to check on some 22L ammo. Even though they sell rifles and ammo for both rifles and pistols, no 22L ammo in stock. I asked the guy if he knew if Denton Walmart had any. He said he rather doubted it as they are both supplied by the same distribution point. I'm pretty sure that would be Smyrna Delaware. This tells me Walmarts Delaware policy is affecting other states also. You can find 22L ammo in other independent  gun/ammo shops. The guy also said there is going to be a Dick's Sporting Store built in Easton soon.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 09:21:18 AM »
I stopped at Cabela's on July 3rd and they had Winchester 22lr hp in 222 rnd boxes.
The store guy said they got it by mistake. It was supposed to go to Arkansas.
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 03:01:36 PM »
Just got back from a week at RSR.  They were shooting about 4K of .22 per day.  This will go on for 8 weeks.

Had one scout who could just not get it.  I dont know if he was picking a different target after a few rounds
(preventing him from getting 5 shot groups).  So I reached in my range bag and pulled out the green laser.  Put it on the
target I wanted him to shoot and said shoot spot.  Did better and qualified.

Few others still had a GOOD shotgun pattern on the paper.  :(
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:05:14 AM by Radnor »

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 01:35:54 PM »
8 weeks of firing 4k rounds per day. No wonder the average person and hunter can't find .22LR ammo in stores. I think the high volume rifles like the AR's have a lot to do with the shortage. Companies can only make so many rounds. Production can't keep up with the waste of ammo from people that go out a blow hundreds and maybe thousands of rounds just for the hell of it. A little self restraint is needed. If you  shoot all the ammo at paper targets, what will you do if a real life situation or hunting season comes your way. I went to 3 stores looking for .22L ammo and got the same answers. we can get it or as soon as we get it people come in an buy it all up. So what happen come small game season? Looks like rationing may have to happen, like 1 box of 50 rounds per week, with the use of a ration card , may be next. No card, no ammo. 1 /50 round box per week. But everybody will have some if they want it. I'm sure this will start some whining and bellowing.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Federal Firearm

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 10:16:11 PM »
8 weeks of firing 4k rounds per day. No wonder the average person and hunter can't find .22LR ammo in stores. I think the high volume rifles like the AR's have a lot to do with the shortage. Companies can only make so many rounds. Production can't keep up with the waste of ammo from people that go out a blow hundreds and maybe thousands of rounds just for the hell of it. A little self restraint is needed. If you  shoot all the ammo at paper targets, what will you do if a real life situation or hunting season comes your way. I went to 3 stores looking for .22L ammo and got the same answers. we can get it or as soon as we get it people come in an buy it all up. So what happen come small game season? Looks like rationing may have to happen, like 1 box of 50 rounds per week, with the use of a ration card , may be next. No card, no ammo. 1 /50 round box per week. But everybody will have some if they want it. I'm sure this will start some whining and bellowing.

Maybe you are just looking at the wrong place...I have plenty of .22 for customers ;)