Author Topic: Hi-Point 995TS - Anyone own one?  (Read 17472 times)

sethinde

Hi-Point 995TS - Anyone own one?
« on: July 06, 2013, 02:12:11 PM »
Looking for some feedback from Hi-Point 995TS owners.  What are your thoughts, remarks?

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Re: Hi-Point 995TS - Anyone own one?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 09:57:16 PM »
I've held one but didn't have a chance to fire it. I saw the paper target the owner was shooting at and its quite accurate.. at least he was. Definitely a nitch firearm but can see the fun in them. From what I've read the biggest drawback for people is the limited 10-round magazines and the unreliable aftermarket 15-round mags. Most people would prefer a 20-30 round factory mag for a carbine weapon.

As for Hi-Point in general a lot of people can't get over the price thinking they are cheap guns. Well they are. That said, awhile back I bought a new Hi-Point .45acp handgun. While its pot metal slide is cheap and the darn thing weights slightly under a full ton ;D it has about 800 rounds through it and its never had a single issue! It fires every time I pull the trigger and its quite accurate as well. It can also be used as a club weapon due to its size and weight if bullets were to run out.  ::) I ran across another use one for under 100$ with a few extra mags. It fired poorly and could hardly stay on paper.. Likely why I got it for they price I paid for it. I sent it into Hi-Point, got it back fairly quickly (with a new free mag to boot!) and it shot perfectly. Sold it later but kept the mags for the one I still had.

If you shoot 9mm handguns and your looking for a budget carbine I can't say I've read much bad about them. From what I've been told and read they are mostly reliable and the bad ones are replaced or repaired by the manufacturer quickly. Their lifetime warranty is great. It also transfers to the current owner so regardless of new or used Hi-Point stands behind their firearms.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 01:47:39 AM »
I have one. I initially bought it because at the time the ar15 was too expensive and I wanted something in a semi-auto rifle. I bought an ar-15 about a month later after some cash came in.

It think it shoots well and is really good for the price. The trigger pull is nice. If the keltec carbine that took glock mags was avail I would have gotten that, but there was  a shortage on them at the time and I think they were going for like $500 when you could find the keltec.

The biggest complain is the lack of round capacity. Standard mags are 10 rounds and you can buy extended for 15 rounds. I would think someone would make a drum mag, but it has not happened as of yet.

Is this just to target shoot or is it going to be for home defense? the reason I ask is ar-15 prices seem to be coming down and I would always recommend the .223 or 5.56 over the 9mm or 40 or 45.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Gorski

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 11:57:45 AM »
I've had one for over a year, fun to shoot, reliable, accurate.  10 rd mag is a pain and the 15rd is useless, always fails to feed.  Can't beat it for the price and the fun
Never leave home without it!
New Castle County

sethinde

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 06:02:13 PM »
This will be for Action Pistol Nights at Delaware State Pistol Club.  A few nights they mix in Carbine with the Defensive Handgun Scenario's.  I want a carbine for this reason.   Pistol caliber is best for me as they only allow pistol caliber or 22 LR in the indoor range.  most guys have AR with 22LR Conversions.  I just cant afford  an AR, but I want to participate. 

I will eventually get an AR for Home Defense/hunting.   Something in 9mm so I can reload, or a rifle caliber with a conversion kit.  Will have to wait and see what I can afford.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 09:42:21 PM »
I'd hold off and save up for an AR. If your looking for something right now and cheap grab a Mossberg Tactical .22 for $220. The S&W M&P22 is much better but it'll run you $460+. I'd suggest either (especially the S&W) over the 995TS for what your looking to use it for.

Another option would be to purchase a complete lower and a dedicated .22 upper (Chiappa for example). Buy one this month then the other next month. Should be able to do this for 500-600$ quite easily. I know Chris (Federal Firearms) sells the uppers, and that S&W, for a decent price locally so you should give him a shout. This would also give you a lower that you could add a .223 upper to later for HD or hunting, etc.

I already had a Double Star AR and found a great deal on a CMMG .22 conversion which only gets used in this rifle. Works great but every outing I wind up firing off a full mag or 2 of .223 to burn out the leftover .22 crud. I've been looking at that S&W .22 for sometime and will likely have one later this year.

sethinde

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 03:03:40 AM »
I am going to go ahead and pull the trigger (pun intended) on a new hi point 995ts. I will save up some more money and have Chris from federal firearms help me with an AR build down the road.  I know I could get a 22 a little cheaper, but I am planning to start reloading.  Since I already have a 9mm it will be nice to load 9mm only at first.  Whenever I do build an AR, I will definitely have a 9mm conversion if possible for compatibility. 

sethinde

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 04:46:21 PM »
So I picked up a Hi Point 995TS yesterday from Chris at Federal Firearms.  He was very helpful and I recommend federal Firearms over the Local Gun stores in New Castle County.

I have ran about 10 full magazines of snap caps through it last night and it was feeding well after that and the trigger seems to have improved from the work out.  I will clean it up tonight and get it on the range as soon as I have time.  Ill keep everyone posted on how it runs.

JOET

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 06:21:36 PM »
Chris is the best....and good friend too
New Castle County

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 01:14:40 AM »
Chris is the best....and good friend too

Very true.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 05:57:06 AM »
Agreed in regards to Chris / Federal Firearms. He gets our business as well.

sethinde

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 02:06:07 AM »
Got 100 rounds through the Hi Point 995 TS today at ommelanden.  Not a Misfire/Misfeed to speak of.  at 10 yards it was spot on, but started creeping up high and to the left after about 20-25 yards.  At 50 yards it was waaay high and to the left.  I will tweek it a bit over the next few days and post back.  All in all, a great day on the range with what seems to be a reliable firearm.  I'm happy.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 03:03:29 AM »
We're all the lanes operational on the pistol and rifle ranges?
New Castle County

Federal Firearm

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 02:47:07 AM »
thank you all for the kind words...much appreciated :)

sethinde

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 02:25:59 AM »
i was on the right side (rifle range) and there were only 2 lanes open. Looks like they were having issues with the target system.