Author Topic: Hi-Point 995TS - Anyone own one?  (Read 17471 times)

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: Hi-Point 995TS - Anyone own one?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 09:34:12 PM »
So they've made no progress in 3.5 months. I was there at the beginning of April, and the rifle range had two lanes open. Crap.....
New Castle County

JOET

• Life Member
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 10:49:50 PM »
they put and indoor retrival system....outdoors......that's why....go figure...
let me know and we will go to shooters choice someday..
New Castle County

sethinde

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2013, 05:15:51 AM »
OK, after close to 500 rounds from the High Point at the range and using it at DSPC Action Pistol carbine nights I have come to the conclusion that this rifle is a great plinker.  fun and accurate to shoot but I would not want to depend on this for a home defense gun (unless in a pinch, even then I would most likely reach for my XDM). 
Here is why I feel that way.

Only 10 rounds...

Seating a mag is pretty tough because the mags are flush with the grip and have to be pushed pretty hard to get to lock into place. The base plate actually fits up inside the grip and it    doesn't slap into place like an AR mag would.

I feel like I have to pay close attention to loading the magazines as it feels like the rounds jam up and tend to want to point slightly downward.

Only 10 Rounds... And from what I have read/seen the Pro Mag Magazines suck.

It is in fact kind of hard to clean really well as it does not break down to easily.  I use a bore snake and patches to clean inside as best I can through the ejection port.  Highpoint's manual only states to clean every 200 rounds and to send back in to Highpoint to be cleaned thoroughly after 2000 rounds... Not really a ding, but kind of a pain.

But all in all, this inexpensive rifle has been a blast to shoot and play with. It has been pretty reliable and has only jammed on me a couple of times during the break in 200 or so rounds, a couple of jams from reloads, and some operator errors that caused the charging handle to get stuck back.

I like it.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2013, 02:01:02 PM »
JoeT, what the range officer told me was they used the same cabling on the 25 and 50 yard range. The cables only had tensile strength for the 25 yards. So the 50 yard rifle range needs a rebuild, and stronger cable. Probably different stories depending on who you speak to.
New Castle County

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2013, 01:13:42 AM »
The pistol side rarely has all lanes working so I'm not sure on that one. Most of the time I've been there at least half don't work.