Author Topic: More bad press - maybe ?  (Read 13268 times)

Kimber HD

More bad press - maybe ?
« on: July 08, 2013, 01:46:37 PM »
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20130708/news01/307080033/middletown-man-protests-arrest-over-concealed-gun-permit

The comments are rather positive...and I must say that DelOnline isn't really lambasting this guy...

SteveMiller

Steve Miller
DSSA
NRA Life Member
Gun Owners of America

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: More bad press - maybe ?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 01:04:23 AM »
Notice who his lawyer was... write down the name... and call him if you need a lawyer.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 01:30:40 AM »
Couple thoughts.

First and foremost I recall a sign that a teacher had in high school that said "Ignorance is no excuse not to follow the law".

I think the charge was crap and should not have happened, the issue I do have is I doubt the average person would have had the charges dropped. Who knows the guy could be connected and so forth.

The whole concept that this guy could have had his life wrecked and he was a law biding citizen just gets me.

We honor other state drivers licenses. Delaware has made the decision to recognize marriages from all other states regardless of the participants ( to each there own) yet they want to be strict with which permits they will recognize and if you are  a Delaware res you h aveto have a delaware ccdw. Ok I get that, but if someone from PA has a florida permit they can carry in Delaware for alot less money and hassle.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

SteveMiller

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 11:18:14 AM »
Notice who his lawyer was... write down the name... and call him if you need a lawyer.

Great suggestion.
Steve Miller
DSSA
NRA Life Member
Gun Owners of America

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 11:25:03 AM »
He made all the correct inquiries, just like the guy In NJ, and he got 7 months(years???).  You can do everything correctly and still end up screwed.  And Joe Hurley is not cheap.  What about the money he spent on the bogus charges??

This is a major problem with gument, be it local, IRS, NSA, etc.  Even if the charges are bogus, they can ruin your life, and it seems to be happening more often.  That is just not right!!!  "Ve hav ways of making you miserable!!"
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 12:31:30 PM »
The whole concept that this guy could have had his life wrecked and he was a law biding citizen just gets me.

Sorry, but he was NOT a law abiding citizen.  That is why the AG was going forward with this.
As holders of CCDW(s), we NEED to know the laws of the States we are in.

When I go to camp (in Maryland) I stop before the check point unload and run a cable lock through it.  Then continue.
I think next week when I go back I'll just leave it loaded and concealed.  I have 2 excuses...  1. I'm a law abiding
citizen and 2. I was only in Md for 5 miles.

Next question....  Who here will help me with bail and court costs?
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Knotacare

• NRA Endowment Member VFW Life Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 03:15:48 PM »
The real problem here is that there are to many laws like this that only confuse & intimidate  the law a biding citizen.  They do nothing to stop the criminals.  I'm afraid we now live in a country where most elected officials are brain dead & only worry about being elected again. This guy was wrong , but a criminal no way & I wonder if he was white would the NJ have picked up the story (can I still say this) :o

anjdrifter

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 04:48:45 PM »
The real problem here is that there are to many laws like this that only confuse & intimidate  the law a biding citizen.  They do nothing to stop the criminals.  I'm afraid we now live in a country where most elected officials are brain dead & only worry about being elected again. This guy was wrong , but a criminal no way
can I get an Amen   .was just looking up info on booster seats in different seats .talk about confusing. people write laws and articles in language the writer knows ... they ASSUME every one knows or are familiar with and that average people, the ones it should be clear to not confused by. Of course where would the lawyers be if not to confuse even more or worse interpret to us poor dumb law abiding slobs.
Sussex county, NRA certified instructor -pistol-rifle- shotgun ,doj approved instructor

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 09:35:06 PM »
There are many idioms around establishing residency. He 'declared' TN his home, and thus would have been okay visiting DE or being here part time. He didn't understand that getting a DE drivers license changed his official residency. All of these laws can be very confusing, which is why I feel it is very smart to belong to a forum like this. We can ask questions. Should be required.
New Castle County

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 02:03:37 AM »
You have good points that are true Radnor.

The thing is it bothers me ( maybe ) others when people pick and chose which laws they chose to enforce.

"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 11:47:11 AM »
One place to consider for those of us that carry, www.secondcalldefense.org  Or find local lawyers who are Second Ammendment sympathizers and keep their # handy.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

JOET

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 12:44:36 PM »
Here another,

http://www.chlpp.com/
New Castle County

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 09:33:07 PM »
The best insurance is a good lawyer.
This quote from today's article is why Joe Hurley is a great lawyer: he's been giving his clients, including me, this kind of advice all along:

Preston’s attorney said the law should be simplified in a way that both gun owners and police can easily understand.

“Define the word resident and say all Delawareans are required to comply with the law so everybody knows what it means, even if you have a permit in 49 other states,” Hurley said.

Hurley also warned gun owners to educate themselves in a state where Wilmington has been plagued by an epidemic of street shootings and authorities have been cracking down on gun violence.

“Anybody who carries a gun around here has to be aware that it is a very intolerant society in Delaware,” he said. “If you want the privilege of carrying a concealed gun, you have the responsibility to know the law.”
[emphasis mine]
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 01:19:40 AM »
The best insurance is a good lawyer.
This quote from today's article is why Joe Hurley is a great lawyer: he's been giving his clients, including me, this kind of advice all along:

Preston’s attorney said the law should be simplified in a way that both gun owners and police can easily understand.

“Define the word resident and say all Delawareans are required to comply with the law so everybody knows what it means, even if you have a permit in 49 other states,” Hurley said.

Hurley also warned gun owners to educate themselves in a state where Wilmington has been plagued by an epidemic of street shootings and authorities have been cracking down on gun violence.

“Anybody who carries a gun around here has to be aware that it is a very intolerant society in Delaware,” he said. “If you want the privilege of carrying a concealed gun, you have the responsibility to know the law.”
[emphasis mine]

"If you want the privilege of carrying a concealed gun............." "are you serious?"?????

Privilege?????

I thought they taught the Constitution in law school. Sorry you have a right to carry a gun. Its restricted in many places but NOT A PRIVILEGE. That comment is something I am sure the antis will use.