Author Topic: Can we get a "No Carry" posting requirement?  (Read 14861 times)

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: Can we get a "No Carry" posting requirement?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 11:53:11 PM »
I've attached the text of the South Carolina regulation so you can read it.  I've also contacted Sen Lopez and Rep Smyk abou trying for this.

Wow MarkB!  You don't even have your CCDW yet and you're trying to change the laws for the 10K to 50k rest of us?

It's simple.  I'm used to living in a state that believes in and honors the US Constitution and firearm ownership.  I have to remember where I am.  I've been here 7 years and I still forget.

This is your idea of honoring the Constitution and gun ownership?

South Carolina
Informing Law Enforcement of Carry:
A permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver’s license from a permit holder.

Places off-limits when carrying:
A concealed carry permit does not authorize the holder to carry a concealed weapon into a:
1. Law enforcement office or facility.
2. Detention or correctional facility.
3. Courthouse or courtroom.
4. Polling place on election days.
5. Office of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special purpose district.
6. School or college athletic event not related to firearms.
7. Day care or pre-school facility.
8. Place where federal law prohibits the carrying of firearms.
9. Medical services facilities.
10. Religious sanctuaries unless express permission is given by an appropriate official.
11. Private property where prohibited by legal owner.

Anyone in legal control of property may prohibit the carrying of concealable weapons by posting signs expressing the prohibition at each entrance to the building.

Alcohol and Drugs:
Any person convicted of carrying a pistol or firearm onto the premises of a business which sells alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises shall be subject to an additional penalty of up to 3 years imprisonment and/or $2,000 fine.

Open Carry:
Prohibited in most public areas.

This is exactly why we want to stay off the radar.
We are helped, of course, by the lack of media coverage of our state... but the main factor is that we're "may issue," so nobody even thinks about concealed carry in Delaware. Let's keep quiet and keep it that way.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

JOET

• Life Member
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 11:59:36 PM »
This is your idea of honoring the Constitution and gun ownership?

South Carolina
Informing Law Enforcement of Carry:
A permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver’s license from a permit holder.

Places off-limits when carrying:
A concealed carry permit does not authorize the holder to carry a concealed weapon into a:
1. Law enforcement office or facility.
2. Detention or correctional facility.
3. Courthouse or courtroom.
4. Polling place on election days.
5. Office of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special purpose district.
6. School or college athletic event not related to firearms.
7. Day care or pre-school facility.
8. Place where federal law prohibits the carrying of firearms.
9. Medical services facilities.
10. Religious sanctuaries unless express permission is given by an appropriate official.
11. Private property where prohibited by legal owner.

Anyone in legal control of property may prohibit the carrying of concealable weapons by posting signs expressing the prohibition at each entrance to the building.

Alcohol and Drugs:
Any person convicted of carrying a pistol or firearm onto the premises of a business which sells alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises shall be subject to an additional penalty of up to 3 years imprisonment and/or $2,000 fine.

Open Carry:
Prohibited in most public areas.

This is not my idea of the Constitution...the above stated law needs to stay in South Carolina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
New Castle County

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 12:53:39 AM »
Thanks for all the good (and not so good) comments and the needed information for me.  I stand very corrected.  Well, not so much standing as knocked down (which is deserved).

I understand how things are here with concealed carry; and it works. 

I apologize to all members here.  I was seriously mistaken.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2013, 12:57:39 AM »
Stick with us MarkB.  I've taken a drumming a few times now.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

JOET

• Life Member
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 01:00:06 AM »
no hard feelings....as Obleo sez..."We have all taken a drumming"... hang in there..
New Castle County

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 02:04:00 AM »
You were correct about Delaware having -- issues.  And one of these issues is that whenever Dover tries to "fix" something, they generally make it worse.  That's why I'm worrying about them wanting to fix the reciprocity deal in response to the Middletown incident. 

This state is like a bomb, fueled by the insanity of our neighbors, with the fuse getting lit every time something happens on a national level.  Normally the hype dies down -- but I fear that the fuse is getting shorter. 
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 08:22:07 PM »
OP

Don't rock the boat. They start doing that then the postings could be force of law. If you gun is concealled its don't ask don't tell unless you are in a place legally barred from carrying.

giving our legislature an idea like this would be like telling a guy with a funny mustache in 1940's Germany "Hey there is a great thing that will happen if we split the atom"
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 08:24:44 PM »
Good point but -

While it is not a weapons violation can you be charged with trespass if you ignore a posted sign, no matter how large or how small, and enter the place of business?

When the owner displays a statement that weapons are not allowed in that location, you, as a permit holder, have been given notice that you are not allowed in that place with a weapon.  It's the same if the owner tells you no weapons and you walk past him.  You violate the notice and you ae trespassing.

I don't know the answer to this, but it seems possible if the owner is a hardass.

I would listen as I doubt with the flag you have under old Glory that you want to help the anti's

If they tell you that you have to leave you leave or its a trespass. That is mostly for OC. In the case of CC the only way they would notice is if you print then it would be the same thing or you have to use you gun in a justified manner.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2013, 08:25:30 PM »
The store can only tell you to leave, if you do not, the store can then call the police, who can charge you with trespass. Your proposed law is a bad idea, with the anti-gun Dems currently in charge, you may get alot more than you asked for. Do not stir the pot! Carry in these stores, keep it concealed, and give no one cause to call the police.

AMEN TO THAT FRANK

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2013, 08:28:07 PM »
I've attached the text of the South Carolina regulation so you can read it.  I've also contacted Sen Lopez and Rep Smyk abou trying for this.

Wow MarkB!  You don't even have your CCDW yet and you're trying to change the laws for the 10K to 50k rest of us?

LOL

MarkB

I am joking, but you are not a Markell plant are you???   That was just to funny I had to stop typing to laugh. Dont have a ccdw, but trying to change rules that would backfire.

Grasshopper. They will teach you the ways here.

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 12:00:54 AM »
Yeah, I know.  I carried for 15 years (PA and SC) before I moved to DE in 2007.  It will be good to carry again.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 06:03:29 AM »
Actually, if there is a posted sign at entrance A and I come in entrance B - which does not have a posted sign, then no..  legally I'm not responsible. 

FYI, the mall entrances have some blah blah blah about weapons.. Hmm.  I could use hairspray and a lighter as a weapon.. or a plastic fork for all anyone cares.  BUT... if you go in one of the major store entrances.. imagine that.  there is no sign.  On top of the fact that if we're carrying concealed then no one should know if you're carrying or not. 

I know of one person who was visiting the Christiana Mall and was armed. In the hustle and bustle of the holiday shopping, either his jacket opened or he leaned over exposing his firearm. One of the "do-gooders" reported him to mall security who also contacted DSP who has a substation there. He showed his permit, they said he couldnt have it on the premise and asked him to either lock up the gun in his car or leave the grounds all together.  Not being comfortable being there unarmed, he chose to leave and come back another time.  No report was taken, etc.  They called in a warrant check, verified his permit was valid via phone, and sent him on his way. 

As others have said, we've all taken our lumps on something we've posted.  No harm, no foul.  :)  No apology needed. This is why we're all here! If we can't have a good discussion or a debate without acting like idiots, then I'd shudder to think about that person carrying a deadly weapon. 

But yes, please, don't ask our reps to try and implement something like this. We have a bunch of libtards who would love to have another chance to grab our guns.

;D

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 02:56:42 PM »
Well said Moosie!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2013, 09:04:34 PM »
Moosie, the Dover Mall's sign is hidden upstairs in the office. You are correct, concealed means CONCEALED, what they can not see, will not arouse them
 Can I get out of the trunk now?