Author Topic: Lock Box for Car/truck - Suggestions  (Read 16881 times)

MarkB

• Life Member
Lock Box for Car/truck - Suggestions
« on: July 14, 2013, 02:12:56 PM »
I need to pick up a small secure lock box I can use in both my car and pickup.  I would prefer a heavy cable to secure the box so I can move it between both vehicles - unless that is a security problem.

What have you used?

I just found this on the web - What do you think about it?

http://www.thehomesecuritysuperstore.com/gun-safes-gun-safe-nanovault-200-gvtnv200-p=3799

I also found these.  You can order multiple boxes keyed alike.

http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 05:45:45 PM by MarkB »
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Obleo

• Life Member
Re: Lock Box for Car/truck - Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 05:34:38 PM »
I've got to get serious about a lock box myself.  Just can't spend too much right now.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 07:14:40 PM »
Here's a tip guys,
I had the same problem when I got my CCW. I did some checking around, because I'm not made of money and didn't want to spend big bucks.
Here's what I bought: 

GunVault NV200 Nanovault with key lock
Fits full size pistols up to the 1911 style.
The price, Including shipping was $28.44
I had it in 5 days
Ordered from Amazon.com

It is a locking steel, foam padded, portable gun vault, that fits easily into a console, without taking the whole console.
It is FAA approved for air transport.
It has a 1500 lb. cable that I hooked to my seat frame and it sets in top of my console on top of other things I carry.

Why spend $100 and have the hassle of a combo lock?
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

robberbaron

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 08:36:02 PM »
I got a steel box and cable at Staples awhile back. It is ok, but the main reason I got it was it is a combo, not key. I would lose the key with my luck.

Bmel17

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 08:41:03 PM »
I'm a fan of the combo lock as well.  Feels more secure to me especially if someone stole my key/s

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 10:51:54 PM »
OK, I'm looking at the two I posted in my original starting post and I'm leaning towards the Center of Mass with two cases keyed alike with the long hinge.  Both the Nano and the Center of Mass are the same size.

BUT, the NanoVault is made from 18 gauge steel and the Center of Mass is made from 21 gauge steel.  The 18 gauge is thicker but is it enough to really matter?  I'm just not that familiar with the different steel gauge thicknesses.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 11:54:04 PM »
I keep the lock box key on my truck key ring, that way I always have it handy when I'm in the truck. Never had a problem.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 01:02:01 AM »
Mark.. I have the GunVault NV300 Nano with combination lock. I'm all for the combination lock also as its much easier to roll 3 dials then fumbling around with yet another key. I secure it in the rear with the included loop cable. I've seen people secure it to their trunk floor with bolts. I don't recommend this as it could easily be pried open when secured. Just use the cable.

As for 18g vs 21g there is a difference, though not a big one. Still, 21g steel can be punctured with a ball point pen without much effort. The 18g would require a fairly strong fixed blade to puncture. Personally I wouldn't consider anything less then 18g.

It fits 1911s, Glocks, CZ 75BDs and a most others I have but unfortunately it doesn't allow my Walther PPQ due to its slightly wider/rounded handle.  >:( Just something to keep in mind when ordering. I'll be looking for something a bit larger and hopefully heavier gauge steel in the near future.

sethinde

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 01:13:47 AM »
I had a Nano Vault with the 3 digit pass. had it under the back seat.   it broke when I put my back seat down on top of it.( with not much pressure).  the seat pushed the little dial that unlocked the vault into the vault.  then it just opened freely.  I am glad I did the damage and not a thief.  they could have broke it easily and got my XDm.  I have now bought a D1000 and will keep it under the front seat (as long as it has clearance) which only moves front to back.  this one has the finger key press combination.  I know a cheap safe sounds like a good idea, but not really worth it in the long run.  My next purchase will be a Tuffy http://www.tuffyproducts.com or a Console vault http://www.consolevault.com/

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 01:37:56 AM »
I picked one up at Pep Boys in Dover of all places.  He holds my full size Glock 21.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Bmel17

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 02:00:19 AM »
I have a tuffy security console and glovebox, love their products!

firststatefirearms

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 03:05:27 AM »
What kind of vehicle are you putting the lock box in?  There are some gun vaults that are made for specific vehicles to fit in the console.
An armed citizen refuses to be a victim.

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 04:11:23 AM »
I'm putting the boxes in a 2000 Dakota and a 2003 Sentra.  I like the console inserts but they are way too expensive.  I had heard that the combo on the Nanovault 300 was plastic so I will be going with the 200 which has the lock and no plactic.  Right now it's what I can afford and it does provide a level of protection.

Thanks for all the advice and info.  Adrenolin, I need your thoughts n the steel thickness.  It made my decision.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 06:27:23 AM »
Ok, showing my geekiness...

The thickness difference between 18g and 21g steel is 0.015".. fifteen thousandths of an inch - or just shy of 4 human hairs.  If you can find something thicker, go for it. If not, go with the heaviest gage you can find that's still within your budget. 

I have gone with this: http://www.gunvault.com/multivault-gv2000d.html.  I like that it has room for two firearms. I never know when either someone will be with me who also needs to stow a firearm or when I'll need to stash my purse as well as my gun. I like that it's 16g steel and I've bolted it to the floor of my trunk. I only have one vehicle right now, so that works well for me.

As for cable... if your safe doesnt come with one, I've seen a 1500 lb steel cable that I thought was adequate.  Most safes come with a cable unless they are meant to be bolted down. 

Good luck in your search!

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 11:29:27 AM »
Moosie.. I've looked at those. Nice that its thicker. I don't like safe electronics & batteries but the D version can also be plugged in and I happen to have AC in my car and truck. One thing that kept me from purchasing it was having it bolted down and attacked with a heavy flat screwdriver or pry bar. Have you tested to see if a flat screwdriver or knife can be easily wedged in the top corner to pry it open? With it bolted down a lot of force could be applied.

I know nothing is perfect but if it closes tight making it hard to pry on I might have to order one.

MarcB.. Metal in most of these are very thin. The actual thickness of a 'gauge' depends of the type of metal be it mild sheet steel, stainless, galvanized, aluminum, etc. The difference however isn't much and these portable lock boxes are simply mild steel where 21g would be 0.0329", 18g would be 0.0478" and 16g would be 0.0598". Google gauge thickness for more info or metric conversions. Btw the average human hair is about 0.004" thick. give or take. ;D Most large box store safes are only 14g - 0.0747".. Food for thought there. Thicker is always better. They all cut pretty darn easily with a cordless grinder and a cutting disk until you get down to 10g or better.

The Nano 200 or 300 are decent if you just need something now and don't have much to spend. The one Moosie posted is thicker and has more room. I think I'm gonna order one from Amazon and give it a look see for myself. I need to get past the electronics I guess and keep the key on my keychain.