Author Topic: State Acquiring Sussex County Shooting Facility  (Read 5246 times)

seniorgeek

• Life Member
State Acquiring Sussex County Shooting Facility
« on: July 15, 2013, 08:45:20 PM »
State Acquiring Sussex County Shooting Facility

"In a year that saw heated debate on numerous gun control bills in the General Assembly, the state has moved ahead on a long-anticipated deal to acquire a Sussex County shooting sports facility.

In the $477.1 million Bond Bill is a relatively modest expenditure of $750,000 for the first installment on Owens Station.  The privately-owned facility located just east of Greenwood is the creation of Bill Wolter, who began developing the property 30 years ago to train youths in shooting sports.  "I figured that if I could create an educational center that maybe I could make a difference in some children's lives," he said.

The 104-acre facility is unique.  It is managed as a conservation education center and is often used by school teachers as a venue for nature walks.  The parcel contains several miles of trails and three small catch-and-release stocked fishing ponds.  Parts of the property are used for the cultivation of Atlantic Coastal Panicgrass and switchgrass.  The former is used for coastal restoration projects, while the latter is sold to waterfowl hunters to camouflage boats and blinds - preventing the cutting of indigenous marsh plants.

The property also contains the Delaware's only sporting clays course with approximately 60 shooting stations, a trap range and a "five stand" range.  Best practices are employed to ensure lead shot from the ranges does not contaminate the soil and water, falling into focused areas to facilitate retrieval and recycling. 

Owens Station is thoughtfully configured so the hiking trails and ponds can be used concurrently with the shooting ranges."

You can read the rest if you get Delaware House of Representatives Newsletter.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Re: State Acquiring Sussex County Shooting Facility
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 11:59:26 PM »
Question to NCC shooters, how is the "state gooberment" doing handling the range in NCC? What can be expected to happen in Sussex?
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

JOET

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 12:56:24 AM »
Dont go there often...can tell you that it is cheap to shoot...range fee is $2.50 half hour...and their target retrival system leaves a lot to be desired...other than that its not too bad...only open Wed thru Sun..I am sure there are others who go there more often who will comment.
New Castle County

Newlife503

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 01:03:14 AM »
Question to NCC shooters, how is the "state gooberment" doing handling the range in NCC? What can be expected to happen in Sussex?

Only other thing I can add is you can only have 10 rounds in a mag at a time.  No restrictions on mag capabilities just as long as there is 10 rounds or less in them.
NRA Life Member
DSSA Member
DE,PA,FL,UT CC Permits
New Castle County

JOET

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 01:06:19 AM »

No steel...they check some of your rounds with a magnet..
New Castle County

robberbaron

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 01:52:13 AM »
It is $4.00 per half hour now. Still cheap. The target retrieval system is on the blink alot. Sometimes only 4 or 5 lanes open and there is a line waiting to shoot. Their hours are Wednesday 9-dusk, Friday, Saturday and Sunday 9-3:30 (with last sign in at 3PM). I have arrived a little after 3 and been denied. The last time I was there, things seemed to be pretty smooth, so maybe some of the issues are being worked out.

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 02:46:54 PM »
Let us hope they do not screw it up.

Schmenge

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 08:23:29 PM »
Most of the lanes at Omalaanden are broken and have been for as long as I can remember. No money from the state to fix them. It doesn't bode well for the range in Sussex county.
Schmenge
NRA Patron Member

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 12:27:36 AM »
The state is buying Owens Station is a joke. As it is said in previous comment the range in NCC is in shambles and they won't spend the money to repair. I'm sure the same will happe to Owens Station. I heard there may be plans to add a rifle and pistol range there. Yeah, sure, from the same State Goberment that is trying to take our guns away. B/S
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 02:40:47 AM »
The state is buying Owens Station is a joke. As it is said in previous comment the range in NCC is in shambles and they won't spend the money to repair. I'm sure the same will happe to Owens Station. I heard there may be plans to add a rifle and pistol range there. Yeah, sure, from the same State Goberment that is trying to take our guns away. B/S

I have been to omalanden twice. Once the first time the wife and I shot and to do our ccdw class. Except for how cheap it was I was not impressed.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"