Author Topic: Legal/Illegal Knives  (Read 10756 times)

MarkB

• Life Member
Legal/Illegal Knives
« on: July 16, 2013, 03:01:21 AM »
I know you can carry a 3" or smaller folding knife concealed and larger knives in the open.  Does the DE carry permit allow you to carry a larger folding knife in your pocket.  I'm thinking 3" to about 4.5".

The permit is a Delaware Deadly Weapon Permit so does that include knives?  I don't know if I would use the knife for defense but having something larger than 3" is useful.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Bmel17

Re: Legal/Illegal Knives
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 04:15:38 AM »
that is correct

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 12:36:46 PM »
You can carry a machete if you can conceal it.  Does anyone know the odd phrase used in the DE law about switchblade and trench knife carry?

Something like:  It shall be unlawful to "deal with" a switchblade...  Is dealing with and carrying the same thing.

For the record:  I don't carry or want a switchblade or trench knife.

FYI:  Be sure to check out member "silverbullet's" offer in the forums classified section.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 12:40:34 PM by Obleo »
Proud resident of Kent County DE

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 03:07:25 PM »
Be careful when you cross state lines, I believe Md. has a 3" limit and Philly allows no knives. The Pa. permit is a PISTOL permit.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 03:16:56 PM »
The DECCW is a permit to carry a concealed deadly weapon in accordance with 11 Del. C. Section 1441 of the Delaware Code.

Suggest anyone with a question read that Code.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 04:42:28 PM by SturmRugerSR9 »
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 04:28:15 PM »
The DECCW is a permit to carry a concealed deadly weapon in accordance with 11 Del. C. Section 1411 of the Delaware Code.

Suggest anyone with a question read that Code.

“§ 1411. Unlawfully disseminating gambling information; class A misdemeanor.”

I interpret Title 11 as follows: §222 defines a folding knife with a blade longer than 3" inches as a deadly weapon. §1441 allows a CCDW permit holder to carry a deadly weapon, i.e., a knife greater 3".

“§222 (5) "Deadly weapon" includes a "firearm", as defined in paragraph (12) of this section, a bomb, a knife of any sort (other than an ordinary pocketknife carried in a closed position), switchblade knife, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, metal knuckles, slingshot, razor, bicycle chain or ice pick or any "dangerous instrument", as defined in paragraph (4) of this section, which is used, or attempted to be used, to cause death or serious physical injury. For the purpose of this definition, an ordinary pocketknife shall be a folding knife having a blade not more than 3 inches in length.”

“1441. License to carry concealed deadly weapons.
(a) A person of full age and good moral character desiring to be licensed to carry a concealed deadly weapon for personal protection or the protection of the person's property may be licensed to do so when the following conditions have been strictly complied with”

Excerpt From: Delaware General Assembly. “Title 11 Crimes and Criminal Procedure.” Delaware General Assembly, 2011-1-5. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 03:09:08 AM »
Good question. I am into knives as I collect ( sometimes) and buy and sell knives.

Military and police can possess switchblades in Delaware but other people are not supposed to. I have not been able to get confirmation, but I have been told you can have one in your home as a "personal collection" but you cant carry it. I would not chance it.

ON the size of the knife Once you have the ccdw you would be covered as others have said. There are some good knives out there under 3 inches though

Like Frank said be careful about state lines as each state and some localities can get pretty strange.

I think a flashlight and knife are good compliments to a gun.

Oh and its not an illegal knife but an "undocumented cutting device"
sorry could not resist. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 03:12:49 AM by silverbullet »
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 01:21:40 AM »
Didn't MD overturn and rid themselves of the old automatic knife prohibition last year? Wish DE would do the same. For those who have never used an automatic Out The Front (OTF) knife let me tell you they are one of the safest knives you could own. Single hand operation greatly reduces the chance of cuts and lacerations. Most knife injuries take place while (incorrectly or just not paying attention) opening and closing a knife and these all but eliminate that danger. When opening they don't have the force to stab someone and simply loose the energy which requires the blade to be reset manually.. At least any that I've had an opportunity to test anyways. Yeah you get a good poke and I've opened a few into my hand purposely. At most I had one poke me about 1/8" and drew a drop but aside from a sharp 'ouch!' there was no danger of being stabbed from the opening force. Please note I don't recommend you do this.  ;D

They are great for and I think all emergency personal would do great with these as a part of their gear. For the regular resident I see no useful reason why they should remain illegal. There is no greater danger cause from one of these compared to other folding or fixed knives and IMO are much safer. They would actually most likely reduce the number of hospital/emergency visits due to self inflicted injuries.

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 01:23:25 AM »
 Some of the top companies also have automatic knives like Spyderco, Gerber, benchmade and so forth.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 01:45:25 PM »
Please remember there is a difference between a switch blade and a spring assisted knife. Switch blades you press a buttun and the knife opens, spring assisted knifes have a metal bar spring that when you start to open the blade it opens it for you, but it's your action of openi g the blade that makes it open, not a button.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 03:00:02 PM »
Please remember there is a difference between a switch blade and a spring assisted knife. Switch blades you press a buttun and the knife opens, spring assisted knifes have a metal bar spring that when you start to open the blade it opens it for you, but it's your action of openi g the blade that makes it open, not a button.

Great point as some people don't get that. I have someone get a spring assisted knife off of me and then a guy who taught him his CCDW class told him it was illegal. The guy kept the knife, but I spent way more time than I should have had to explaining the situation that I already knew I was correct on.

You would figure an instructor would know the state weapons policy, but I guess with all the laws it can be hard to keep up with.

Also for what its worth I have used both as I have had both at different times ( all according to law) and I actually think there is no difference in speed, in part, because most switchblades have a safety you have to disengage

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 09:39:45 PM »
I didn't realize that limitation on knives in Philly, and PA. Thanks Frank.

#FreeFrank is trending
New Castle County