Author Topic: Q from new CA member: Politics in DE & Open Carry  (Read 17900 times)

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Re: Q from new CA member: Politics in DE & Open Carry
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2013, 01:38:50 AM »
Is the renewal then "shall issue"?
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2013, 03:59:15 PM »
Does DE publish (on the web?), the number of current CCW holders?

IIRC, in most Shall Issue states, between 3-5% of the adult population usually gets their CCW. I think getting 5% of DEians (1 out of 20 adults) issued a CCW would be a worthwhile goal.
Print these "business card fliers" on plain printer paper using MS Word, in 2 column format. You should be able to fit at least 10 on a single sheet of paper. You don't want the "business cards" so small that people will lose them or not notice them (like a fortune cookie's fortune). Standard business card size is best, or just slightly smaller. A title in bold italics like "Handgun Carry Permit Info!" will catch their eye. The fliers will have brief statement in easy to read sans serif front that "If you want to learn about getting a DE concealed handgun carry permit, visit (and then give a URL/web address) for free info." Just enough to grab their attention and make them want to visit the site.

Gun shop/range owners should be for this because the more people who carry, the more guns and ammo sales and the more people who will want to practice.

Carrying a half dozen around in your wallet and a couple of dozen in your car's glove box lets you give them out to those you talk to vs them having to rely upon their memory, and to stick under windshield wiper blades of cars you see w/military, hunting, shooting, NRA, Tea Party, Ron Paul, Gadsden flag, or similar decals.

I think that spreading the CCDW message is worthwhile.  I am planning to print the suggested wording on cardstock and have available when the CC topic comes up.  The Delaware CCW Process webpage would be ideal if it started with a positive pitch for DE CCDW and the hyperlinks at the bottom of the page were moved up to where they are referenced. How about it? Who else?
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2013, 10:04:33 PM »
Interesting as I was wondering how long Delaware CCW has been like this.  
Found the following on line from a 1915 version of the Delaware Code

The current wording is almost the same if you check the current law that available on this forum.  
Training was not required, but back then your 5 signers needed to
be in your same election district not the county. And the Protonotary was the Clerk of the Peace

Interesting 98 years ago the notice was published in the paper like now:

262. Sec. 225. Concealed Deadly Weapons; License to Carry; Proceedings to Obtain; Fees; Exceptions:—Any person of full age and good moral character, desiring to be licensed to carry a concealed deadly weapon or weapons for the protection of his person or property, may be licensed to do so when the following conditions have been strictly complied with.
Such person shall make application therefor in writing, and file the same with the Clerk of the Peace of the proper County, at least fifteen days before the then next session of the Court of General Sessions, clearly stating that he is a person of full age; that he is desirous of being licensed to carry a concealed deadly weapon or weapons for the protection of his person or property or both, also stating his residence and occupation.
At the same time every such person shall file, with the Clerk of the Peace aforesaid, a certificate of five respectable citizens of the election district in which such applicant resides at the time of filing his said application; which certificate shall clearly state that the applicant is a person of full age, sobriety and good moral character, that he bears a good reputation for peace and good order in the community in which he resides and that the carrying of a concealed deadly weapon or weapons by the applicant, is necessary for the protection of said applicant or his property or both; said certificate shall be signed with the proper signatures and in the proper handwriting of each such respectable citizen.
Every such applicant shall file in the office of the Clerk of the Peace of the proper county his application as aforesaid, verified by his oath or affirmation in writing taken before an officer authorized by the Laws of the State of Delaware to administer the same, and shall under such verification state that his certificate and recommendation were read to or by the signers thereof and that the signatures thereto are in the proper and genuine handwriting of each.
At the time he files his said application he shall pay to the Clerk of the Peace the full tax for said license, and also a fee of One dollar to the Clerk of the Peace for issuing the same, together with his proportionate share of the cost of advertising his said notice of making said application.
The Clerk of the Peace of the County in which any applicant for a license as aforesaid files the same, shall cause notice of every such application to be published once, at least ten days before the then next session of said Court of General Sessions, said publication to be made in a newspaper published daily (Sundays excepted) if Buch there be, in the County, otherwise once in any newspaper of the County; in making such publication it shall be sufficient for said Clerk of the Peace to do the same as a list in alphabetical form, stating therein simply the name and residence of each applicant respectively.
The Clerk of the Peace of the County in which such application for license is made, shall lay before the said Court of General Sessions, at its then next session, all applications for the license aforesaid, together with the certificate and recommendation accompanying the same, filed in his office, on the first day of the Term of said Court next succeeding the day of such application.
Said Court may or may not, in its discretion, approve of any sucli application, and in order to satisfy the Judges thereof fully in regard to the propriety of approving the same, may receive remonstrances and hear evidence and arguments for- and against the same, and establish general rules for that purpose.
If any application shall be approved, as herein provided, the Court shall endorse the word " Approved " thereon and sign the same with the date of approval. If not approved, said Court shall endorse thereon, the words "Not approved " and sign the same; it shall be the duty of the Clerk of the Peace, immediately after any such application has been so approved, to issue a proper license, signed as other State licenses are, to said applicant for the purposes aforesaid for a term to expire on the first day of June next succeeding the date of such approval. The price or fee to the State for every such license shall be the sum of Two dollars; and it shall be the duty of the Secretary of State to prepare blank forms of license to carry out the purposes of this Section, and to issue the same as required, to the several Clerks of the Peace of the Counties of this State; and provided further, however, that the provisions of this section shall not apply to the carrying of the usual weapons by the Police or other Peace Officers.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 10:08:06 PM by Clarence »

jack44

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2013, 11:08:49 PM »
Is the renewal then "shall issue"?

The way I read this, renewal is "shall issue".  "Good cause" would probably result in denial in any state.

(5) The license issued upon initial application shall be valid for 3 years. On or before the date of
expiration of such initial license, the licensee, without further application, may renew the same
for the further period of 5 years upon payment to the Prothonotary of a fee of $65, and upon
filing with said Prothonotary an affidavit setting forth that the carrying of a concealed deadly
weapon by the licensee is necessary for personal protection or protection of the person's
property, or both, and that the person possesses all the requirements for the issuance of a
license and may make like renewal every 5 years thereafter; provided, however, that the
Superior Court, upon good cause presented to it, may inquire into the renewal request and deny
the same for good cause shown. No requirements in addition to those specified in this
paragraph may be imposed for the renewal of a license.

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2013, 12:21:40 AM »
Jack44:  

That was the way I read it as well.  Looks like without Good Cause renewal could not be denied.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 12:23:44 AM by Clarence »

Adrian

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2013, 12:43:22 AM »
As I eat my popcorn and wonder.........you say you have 80+ ccw incidents?
What are you calling an incident?
Why do today what you can do tomorrow

Resident of NCC although I wish I was in any county in West Virginia

Paladin4CA

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2013, 03:46:06 AM »
As I eat my popcorn and wonder.........you say you have 80+ ccw incidents?
What are you calling an incident?
Did you look at my list? It was linked in my earlier post (reply #6, page 1 of this thread). I'll bold the link so it stands out.

Any news report involving a CCWer (or off-duty LEO who is pretty much the same, except a badge is their permit) and self-defense/defense of another. I'll have about 100 incidents once I add 3 more this weekend.

FWIW a British ex-Royal Marine who was concealed carrying a handgun saved 100 people during the Kenya Mall Massacre. Doubt whether the US MSM will mention this....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2430201/British-hero-mall-massacre-Ex-Royal-Marine-handgun-saved-100-lives-terrorists-ran-amok.html
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:50:40 AM by Paladin4CA »
NRA Benefactor Member
NRA-ILA supporter

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2013, 12:32:21 AM »
@Paladin4CA, nice article. Thanks for the link.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2013, 07:35:41 PM »
paladin:  thanks for the link.  You are correct that this will be surpressed by the main stream media.
Apparently it will be seen by the British

I wonder how many John Bull subjects will even think of how this plays our juxtaposition with their total ban on handguns and virtual disarming of their entire nation;  at least the law abiding part. 

Quite a story.  Thanks again