Author Topic: Old New Guy From Sussex County  (Read 7400 times)

gthomas582

Old New Guy From Sussex County
« on: August 19, 2013, 05:18:31 PM »
Hi! I am new to this forum but have been shooting off and on for over 50 years. I currently own only single action revolvers and a couple 22 rifles. I recently put money down on a Glock G22 Gen4 I should be picking up in a few days. I know that is not an ideal concealed carry weapon but it will be mostly used for recreation and home defense. If I get a CCW permit I will get another gun better suited to concealed carry. I want to apply for a CCW permit but am concerned about spending the money and not getting the permit. I hope to learn the best way to go about getting a permit in Delaware. I think this forum will be a good place to get that information.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: Old New Guy From Sussex County
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 05:28:53 PM »
Welcome gthomas!
Delaware is a "may issue" state that acts more like a "will issue" state. If your background is clean, you won't be wasting your money. Forms and instructions are at the link below. If you have questions, please ask.
http://courts.delaware.gov/Superior/weapons.stm

New Castle County

gthomas582

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 06:00:33 PM »
Thanks for the info. My main concern is the part where you have to give a reason why you want the permit. What works best? I don't need it for a job or because I handle money or anything. Just the fact I am 62 years old, not able to defend myself against younger attackers as I used to be and the fact the world including Sussex County is probably more dangerous than ever. Too many punks who will kill you for pocket change. My criminal background is clean except a citation for having a dog running loose.

Newlife503

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 07:13:56 PM »
Thanks for the info. My main concern is the part where you have to give a reason why you want the permit. What works best? I don't need it for a job or because I handle money or anything. Just the fact I am 62 years old, not able to defend myself against younger attackers as I used to be and the fact the world including Sussex County is probably more dangerous than ever. Too many punks who will kill you for pocket change. My criminal background is clean except a citation for having a dog running loose.

For the protection of yourself and/or property is a good enough reason.  That's what I used.
NRA Life Member
DSSA Member
DE,PA,FL,UT CC Permits
New Castle County

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 07:45:54 PM »
File all of your paperwork less the certificate of training (COT).  You will be out the finger printing and the newspaper ad should they deny you.  If it goes through, you will have 90 days from the date of their letter to get the COT.  Doing it this way WILL delay you some because of the missing COT. 

But as the others have said as long as you've been a good boy you should be good to go.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

gthomas582

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 11:05:08 PM »

For the protection of yourself and/or property is a good enough reason.  That's what I used.

Someone on another forum said the same thing. One advantage they stated of using that is it is always valid. If your job is carrying a lot of money and that is what you put as your reason, it may not be a valid reason anymore if you get a promotion or lose your job.

joek

• NRA Life Member, USCG veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 12:02:48 AM »
gthomas582 - The goal is to get an unrestricted permit.  Using "For the protection of yourself and/or property " is the best answer and covers all.

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 01:53:16 AM »
joek is correct. I added a specific reason plus the standard "protect family and property". I guess it is not necessary, but it does say on the application to be specific. Just don't use anything specific like only certain days or time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 03:14:32 AM »
Hi, gt!  Didn't take you long :).  Reckon you've heard enough to evaluate this forum. May I say I told you so? One caution on the reason for your permit.  During the course at Marino Tactical, Kirk said that one Sussex County judge will reject the generic reason. Kirk is at 302-542-3755; he can confirm, yea or nay. Welcome aboard!
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 01:01:19 PM »
When I filed my initial app (NCC) was told the "one liner" would be rejected.  So I listed several situations (day and night) where I thought I should have it.  If you want a copy, ask...
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

del elec

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 02:29:07 PM »
My reason in March in NCC was " protection of myself, family, and property". Received permit in June.
[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
------)_'_\ * (
"----------\ * \
"-----------\_*_\
Life NRA
Shooters Choice
Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
DE CCDW
PA LTCF
MD Wear & Carry

demark04

• Delaware APA
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 06:05:18 PM »
 Hi GT, welcome aboard!!  Looks like your explanation above is perfect, except I'd leave off the Punk descriptive  ;). Just my opinion though
DE, PA, FL, CCDW
New Castle County

Trapper

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 03:45:59 AM »
I don't know if this helps, but when I applied. I was concerned about the generic "to protect my self and family" so I added, that I wanted the ability to conceal "as to not cause unreasonable concern or panic".
Esophageal Atresia Awareness

joek

• NRA Life Member, USCG veteran
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 05:58:43 AM »
I would have loved to put "Turn on the TV, watch the news and see why I want to carry!" on my application.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 09:41:16 PM »
or "to protect myself from the world you politicians created".
New Castle County