Author Topic: Glock Magazine appearance question?  (Read 7524 times)

TechGeek

Glock Magazine appearance question?
« on: August 28, 2013, 12:51:15 PM »
All-

Hoping someone can answer my question.  I recently purchased two glock magazines and one looks like the original "factory" mag that came with the gun and one doesn't.  The one that doesn't does not have a notch on both sides and no silver band / whatever on the one side.  I have attached a picture to show the difference.  The one on the left (facing towards you) is just like the original factory mag but the one on the right looks odd / different?

Any ideas.....

Kent County

fdegree

Re: Glock Magazine appearance question?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 01:40:10 PM »
I might be wrong...hopefully some one will come along and confirm or correct me.

The one on the left is a Generation 4 magazine.  The 2 notches allow for reversing the mag release.  This magazine should work in all previous generation glocks too.
The one on the right is a Generation 3, or older, magazine.  As long the mag release is on the correct side of the gun, this should still work in the Gen 4 glocks as well as all previous generations.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 02:52:50 PM by fdegree »
Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
-Unknown-

A battle avoided cannot be lost.
-Sun Tzu-

TechGeek

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 03:06:16 PM »
I might be wrong...hopefully some one will come along and confirm or correct me.

The one on the left is a Generation 4 magazine.  The 2 notches allow for reversing the mag release.  This magazine should work in all previous generation glocks too.
The one on the right is a Generation 3, or older, magazine.  As long the mag release is on the correct side of the gun, this should still work in the Gen 4 glocks as well as all previous generations.

fdegree-

Thanks for responding....that would certainly make sense (gen 3 vs gen 4).  Not sure why a Gen 3 model glock would come with gen 4 mags unless this is typical?

Also, any idea why the mag on the right (what your saying is gen 3) does not have the metal clip / binding / whatever in the notch on the side like the one on the left does?

Thanks....
Kent County

fdegree

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 04:25:46 PM »
Thanks for responding....that would certainly make sense (gen 3 vs gen 4).  Not sure why a Gen 3 model glock would come with gen 4 mags unless this is typical?
This is just a guess on my part, I truly don't know...maybe gen 4 mags is all they are producing now, since they will work in previous gen glocks.

Also, any idea why the mag on the right (what your saying is gen 3) does not have the metal clip / binding / whatever in the notch on the side like the one on the left does?
Not a clue.  Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in soon.
Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
-Unknown-

A battle avoided cannot be lost.
-Sun Tzu-

Bmel17

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 05:04:17 PM »
Fdegree is correct on Gen 3 vs Gen 4

The GLOCK 19 Gen4, in 9x19, introduces revolutionary design changes to the pistol that has found worldwide acclaim with security services both private and public. The Modular Back Strap design lets you instantly customize its grip to adapt to an individual shooter's hand size. The surface of the frame employs the new scientifically designed, real-world-tested, Gen4 rough textured technology. Internally, the new GLOCK dual recoil spring assembly substantially increases the life of the system. A reversible enlarged magazine catch, changeable in seconds, accommodates left or right-handed operators.

My friend's Gen 4 mags are the same way while my Gen 3's aren't.  You can use the Gen 3 mags in the Gen 4 gun as long as it is setup for a righty

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 05:31:35 PM »
The band across the gen 4 mag could be just for structural integrity, since it has cut-outs on both sides.
New Castle County

Newlife503

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 10:06:10 PM »
I own several Glocks 4 to be precise 2 are Gen 3, 2 are Gen 4. Like the others have said the mag on the left is gen 4 the one on the right is gen 3. The new gen 3 pistols are sold with gen 4 mags.  If your pistol is gen 3 you will not have any issues with either mag.  If your pistol is gen 4 and set up for left hand mag release the gen 3 mag will not work.
NRA Life Member
DSSA Member
DE,PA,FL,UT CC Permits
New Castle County

TechGeek

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 08:04:52 PM »
Thanks for everyone's help on distinguishing the difference between gen 3 mags and gen 4 mags. 

Anyone know why they put metal on the side notch on the gen 4 mag's but not on the side of the gen 3 mag's?  Is it structural reasons because the gen 4 has two notches taken out of it for switching between left hand and right hand whereas the gen 3 can only be used with right hand release?

Kent County

Bmel17

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 08:22:13 PM »
Thanks for everyone's help on distinguishing the difference between gen 3 mags and gen 4 mags. 

Anyone know why they put metal on the side notch on the gen 4 mag's but not on the side of the gen 3 mag's?  Is it structural reasons because the gen 4 has two notches taken out of it for switching between left hand and right hand whereas the gen 3 can only be used with right hand release?

Correct. Just for more rigidity

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 08:52:58 PM »
.......as I stated.
New Castle County