Author Topic: Making an introduction...  (Read 8811 times)

lems902

Making an introduction...
« on: August 30, 2013, 04:08:07 PM »
Hey everyone.  I'm a pretty new resident to DE - moving here from the very restrictive state of NJ.  Now that I live in a more rights friendly state, and after a LOT of research, I just purchased my first handgun!  I'm in the process of completing my CCW application right now.

I look forward to learning a lot from this forum.  And I'm sure I will be reaching out with a lot of questions for you - best placed to shoot, good clubs to join, etc.  I'd like to get involved with some competitive shooting too in the not too distant future so I will be looking for some recommendation on that as well.
New Castle County
NRA Patron Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
DE/PA/FL CCDW permits

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
Re: Making an introduction...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 04:15:42 PM »
Welcome!

I'm a pretty new resident to DE...  I'm in the process of completing my CCW application right now.

Will save you a little time...  When you are ready to file your paperwork, include a notarized copy of your driving record from PRNJ.
Seems like the investigators want this info from people who've escaped and not been here that long.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

lems902

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 04:18:47 PM »
Thank you for that tip.  Do you know how I would go about getting that driving record by any chance?

Welcome!

I'm a pretty new resident to DE...  I'm in the process of completing my CCW application right now.

Will save you a little time...  When you are ready to file your paperwork, include a notarized copy of your driving record from PRNJ.
Seems like the investigators want this info from people who've escaped and not been here that long.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.
New Castle County
NRA Patron Life Member
DE/PA/FL CCDW permits

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 04:36:50 PM »
NJ DMV???
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 02:30:52 PM »
We arrived in DE by running as quickly as we could from NJ 2 years ago as well. Middletown / Odessa area. The inspectors want a Complete Drivers Extract.. Not the extract employers want. NJ DMV Online requires you to Crete an account, verify the account, provide extra info including your prior NJ info and your current DE info. After that it took 2 requests and about 3 weeks. Ohh it'll also cost you a bit though the wife looked after that so I'm not sure how much. IIRC under $20.

If I had to do it again I'd simply drive up and go into one of their locations and request it in person. Likely much easier. A simple call to NJ DMV for what you need, if a specific office is better and a few hours driving is the way to go. Online was a pita my wife said.

Btw.. What firearm / holster setup did you buy? :) Also have you taken the course yet? We figured it would be good to take it and submit everything at once instead of taking it afterwards. I know it not required up front but I'm sure it helps streamline things with the investigators and others involved.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 02:39:48 PM by Adrenolin »

lems902

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 09:42:31 PM »
Thanks for the info Adrenolin.  I just mailed away a certified abstract request I found on the NJMVC website with a check...hopefully that'll do the trick.

I did not take the class yet - hoping to in early October around my work schedule.  I am getting my 5 reference questionnaires completed right now.  Probably going to the ad in the News Journal next week I think.

I ended up going with a Springfield XDs 9MM as my future carry gun after going back and forth and watching probably 100 review videos.  And - I just sent it away today for the recall... :(

I ordered a Crossbreed Mini Tuck IWB holster - again after MANY, MANY hours of watching reviews on various CCW holsters.  I can't wait to get it, but I understand they have a 3-4 month window before they are made.

New Castle County
NRA Patron Life Member
DE/PA/FL CCDW permits

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 10:43:16 PM »
Let me know if you need info on a class.

CZSHOOTER

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 05:09:18 PM »
A good place to get some shooting Practice is Delaware state Pistol club.  On Monday nights From 6pm-9pm  they run a thing called Action Pistol.  Its based on combat shooting.  Shooting from behind barricades, kneeling on the floor shooting over/around tables, shooting thru car windows (no glass).  Very good practice for that one time when you may need to use your ccw.   only cost $5 for 3 different scenarios  usually about 10-15 rounds with a reload per round

Address for the club is
624 Moores Ln
New Castle, DE 19720

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 11:59:31 PM »
Lems.. If you are looking for a holster sooner you might want to look at the Comp-Tac MTAC holster. Just ordered one for my Walther PPQ and a spare body for my PPS. Also splurged on one of thier belts as well. I like it because you can swap out the Kydex bodies for $38 to add another handgun. I really looked at the Crossbreed holster but wanted something that was expandable. Reviews on them have all been very good.

Newlife503

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 12:49:33 AM »
Welcome!
NRA Life Member
DSSA Member
DE,PA,FL,UT CC Permits
New Castle County

lems902

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 02:47:46 AM »
Thanks again for the welcome everyone.  So - what I'm finding to be the hardest part of the CCW application process is finding 5 residents of the county to complete the reference form.  I very recently moved here...and don't know that many people, other than people at work.  Since they are my direct reports I think it would be inappropriate to ask them to be a reference for this, although I am sure all would.

Does anyone know what is considered "family".  My mother's cousin's son is a resident of NCC - would he be allowed to complete the reference form?  And how about a 2nd cousins spouse?

Looking forward to securing all 5 references so I can get this thing turned in and start my wait!
New Castle County
NRA Patron Life Member
DE/PA/FL CCDW permits

loumem

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 12:21:31 PM »
welcome!

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 01:05:08 PM »
Does anyone know what is considered "family".  My mother's cousin's son is a resident of NCC - would he be allowed to complete the reference form?  And how about a 2nd cousins spouse?

If you send a email to dale.broome@state.de.us titled "CCDW Inquiry" asking about your relatives, then Dale Christine Broome will likely send you a prompt answer.  Or call your county Prothonotary and ask.

Welcome
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Poppop XDM

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 05:45:17 PM »
Lems,  I like your choice.  I carry an XDM 9 MM in a Crossbreed Supertuck.  Ordered June 1 received Sept 10
Welcome to the group.  First State Firearms in your area is a good class
Kent County

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 03:52:26 PM »
Lems902:

Maybe somebody else knows for sure but I seem to remember that "they" are looking for references that have known you for a year.  

This is the problem with our "may issue" is that we really don't know the rules and they can change unbe
known to us

I don't know of anyone who has been denied but it could happen it is decided that you don't know your references long enough.  

For me, it was probably the easiest part as I am a lifelong Delaware resident.

I will say that spouses are OK as my wife and I have both signed for successful applicants that we know.  

Never contacted though.  

My brother knew a guy at work that got a call asking for another reference as one of his was "not good" so they at least probably do a computer check on them.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:54:47 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.