Author Topic: Flying with guns  (Read 12504 times)

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
Flying with guns
« on: May 01, 2009, 08:43:30 PM »
Curious how many of you have flown with your gun. I am going on a trip in a few weeks and plan on taking a carry gun with me. I purchased an approved lockable case but just trying to find out what I have to look forward to at the airport.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
Re: Flying with guns
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 01:24:39 AM »
Not sure you may want to try the NTSA or the NRA, So where you going?
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 02:31:11 AM »
Make sure that the “approved” case is “approved” with the particular airline that you are flying on.  I have read stories about the inspectors or airlines not allowing certain cases, and then happily selling you one of their cases.       
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 03:08:38 AM »
I'm going to the NRA show out in Phoenix, kind of a mini one man mancation.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 11:35:44 AM »
I so hate you. With that said can we get a report of the show when you get back?

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 04:59:33 PM »
Will Do
 ;D

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 03:20:36 AM »
Well so far I gotta say flying with guns is a breeze. The cabellas case has held up great and met the airlines approval. I put the unloaded gun my holsters and a box of my carry ammo in the case and locked it up and flew right thru the baggage check. Upon arrival the case just comes right down to the baggage claim. As for the show it is a gun lovers dream! Every manufaturer is there with all of the guns they carry waiting for you to fondle them. That may sound weird but I think most of you get my drift lol. 95 degrees here today and this weekend is going upto 105!

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 12:02:19 PM »
Cool keep us posted. Take some pics if you can.

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 03:45:14 AM »
And bring us back something!
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 09:41:38 PM »
Well I didn't bring anything back for you guys, or myself for that matter. Except for upgrading to life membership I didn't buy a thing the whole trip. I didn't notice alot of sales going on except for some of the smaller manufacturers, mostly it was just everything set up so you can handle the items. All in all I had a great time and am already looking forward to going next year.

deviant.ollam

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 05:01:53 AM »
hello,

i want to apologize for posting in a thread that's a few months old.  i am a member of another forum where that sort of thing is frowned upon except in cases where the new information is of particular relevance to the matter at hand.  so i'll cross my fingers and hope that the moderators see this as valid and useful, or else they are free to move this to a new thread and i'll not harbor any ill-will.

i wanted to point out (please, don't think of this as self-serving since this is informational and not a commercial endeavor in any way) that i have been maintaining a whole section on my web site for some time now dedicated specifically to the process of flying with firearms...

i have given numerous lectures on the subject (video of some of them is linked on the above page) and i even maintain a number of traveler accounts, detailing how they were treated and what they encountered.

i rate every major air carrier with a simple, school-style letter grade in recognition of both their policies concerning firearms as well as how they've treated people in the past when passengers have had firearms to check.

i hope that this resource will help prepare people for their first time flying with guns and also help guide their ticket purchasing decisions in a way that lessens their headaches at the airport and allows them to vote with their wallets when it comes to airlines whose policies leave a lot to be desired.

this is my first main post (outside the "hi, i'm new" forum) and i look forward to being a part of this online community if i complete my potential move to the Blue Hen State.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 09:41:54 PM »
Very interesting site and welcome to the forum.  :)

deviant.ollam

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 01:01:19 AM »
Very interesting site and welcome to the forum.  :)
thank you very much for being welcoming and for helping to set this all up in the first place.  my favorite part of my "Packing and the Friendly Skies" section of my web site is the traveler accounts... http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/accounts.html

if anyone here flies with their hardware, please let me know (if you'd like to) and i'll post all the details of how it went for you on that ever-growing page.