Author Topic: Riots in newark eh? fugin kids.  (Read 3946 times)

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Re: Riots in newark eh? fugin kids.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 06:33:25 PM »
I can't help but think... What if the cops had simply stayed away and let the party end? Booze runs out, music turns off and kids go home. Sorry I know this isn't PC and others will not agree. Sure there was underage drinking but I've yet to read of anything happening, aside from a large party, before the police showed up.

Being from Canada the legal drinking age is 19. I've never understood the age of 21 here in the US. I knew most people at school (high school) including the nerds, jocks, bad boys, potheads, honor students, etc. Between myself and 3-4 friends we hosted parties most weekends during the spring, summer and fall months which would have included typically anywhere from 100 to 350 people. A few grew to about 700. We'd invite our friends who'd invite a few of theirs and boom, instant party. Cerwin vega speakers on the roof powered by Realistic equipment from Radio Shack, small fireworks being fired off over head throughout the night, bonfires with 6' logs tossed on, a volley ball net strung up and depending on the yard swimming in the pools or lake. Anyone got out of line simply got asked to leave.. A few got tossed out with some persuasion but left with friends to calm them down.

Ok so yeah some underage drinking took place and some minor injuries happened but nothing big. It's part of growing up. Sure we did it more them most others but for the most part everyone had fun and no one really got hurt. Everyone pretty much looked after others.

That said.. My father always said I had good Common Sense and he never worried much when I was out or they were away (knowing full well a party was taking place).

I guess that's the biggest problem these days. Neither the kids or most adults these days have any Common Sense.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 08:04:46 PM »
I have no issue with parties, but some of these kids were jumping up and down on car hoods. Vandalism, destruction of property is another ballgame. I'd have been very pissed. A few bad apples maybe.
New Castle County

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 08:17:56 PM »
Those things were done after the police arrived.

Edit.. Not justifying what happened afterwards but question if police had left them alone. I bet a very small percentage of damage would have happened.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 08:19:36 PM by Adrenolin »

ESPMan

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 11:41:43 PM »
I'm not saying it would have escalated, but history proves that an unchecked herd can get out of hand way too quickly. Yeah, the booze could have ran out, people would get tired and probably went home, but police have to consider the "what if" at all times. What if they didn't go home, and it turned into a full scale riot? It's not an exercise in authority, its an exercise in accountability. If the police didn't mobilize and it got way out of hand, then the public would hold them accountable. "Why didn't the police come and break that crowd up?" "Why didn't the cops stop them from flipping my car?" "Why did those lazy-@$$ cops sit around and do nothing while that mob stomped that guy?" Well, thats just my opinion anyway.
The greatest threat to any society is its ignorance and inaction towards the evil that dwells within it.

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 12:40:27 AM »
The party most likely would have been fine, if it wasn't being filmed for a website. Everyone wants to be a star.
New Castle County

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 08:41:07 PM »
I am all for kids having a good time, but the reality is this could have ended badly. Some kids liquored up decide to try tipping cars over and attack the wrong person we could have had a really bad situation.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"