State News & Gun News > NRA & National Gun News

Obama's new E.O.

(1/2) > >>

ESPMan:
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/09/17/carney-obama-implementing-executive-actions-following-navy-yard-shooting/

I think its time we make mandatory mental health evals for suspects that exhibit psychopathic behavior, because mag limits or bans won't fix this. This was a breakdown in our mental health system.

Cbmarine:

--- Quote from: ESPMan on September 18, 2013, 01:03:18 AM ---http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/09/17/carney-obama-implementing-executive-actions-following-navy-yard-shooting/

I think its time we make mandatory mental health evals for suspects that exhibit psychopathic behavior, because mag limits or bans won't fix this. This was a breakdown in our mental health system.

--- End quote ---

Do you mean something like this?
(a) Any person who from the enactment of this section is:
​​(1)  ...
​​(2)  reported to a law enforcement agency by a mental health professional, hospital, institution, or agency pursuant to §5402 of Title 16, shall be investigated by the appropriate law enforcement agency to determine if firearms, as defined in §222 of this Title, and related ammunition, as defined in § 1448(c) of this Title, should be relinquished. If such agency determines that firearms/ammunition should be relinquished, the law enforcement agency shall refer the report to the Department of Justice.  The Department of Justice may, upon review of such report, request from the Superior Court an order prohibiting the purchase, ownership and possession of a deadly weapon.

ESPMan:
Yup, that about sums it up. As we all said before, the problem isn't guns, it's people who shouldn't have them getting access to them. I'm not saying screw these people, but c'mon, how could anyone miss the propensity for violence this guy had?

oldgraygeek:
If the police contacted my employer and told them what the Newport police told the military, that guy's door badge would have been shut off before he could even get back from lunch.

Cbmarine:
The quote is from HB 88 that passed the DE House but failed in the Senate 6-13.  Rep Danny Short, an NRA supporter, is in favor of the bill. I quoted his email in the thread "HB 88 Defeated in the Senate".  My senator, Dr. Bethany Hall-Long, also an NRA supporter in the past, has a strong medical background (also a nurse) and voted for the bill. The local NRA-ILA rep, Shannon Alford, said that NRA supported the bill as amended.  I think it would be a defensive move on our part to get this bill passed when the legislature reconvenes.  If they try to revive HB 58 mag limits and HB 67 Safe School Zone, we can point to HB 88 as the needed fix that renders the other two unnecessary.  Logical?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version