Author Topic: AR15 80% Polymer Lowers  (Read 20215 times)

groundgrid

• Life Member
AR15 80% Polymer Lowers
« on: September 20, 2013, 02:26:00 AM »
Does anyone know anything about this company?

www.polymer80.com

I ordered one to check out with my CC in case they are just vaporware.

It should be much easier to complete than an aluminum 80% lower
Here’s the real issue: when your religion is government, and government is god, you cannot tolerate any other God before it
(The reason why Liberal/Progressives have waged a war on Christianity)

Bmel17

Re: AR15 80% Polymer Lowers
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 05:54:15 AM »
lowers and parts are plenty abound now.  Also almost back to normal pricing too.  Based on that seems kinda pricey to me, especially if you went with the cerakote option

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 06:34:03 AM »
Don't know anything about the company or their specific product but beware of 'easier'. I've heard they are less forgiving and easier to mess up then the aluminum lowers. A slight bump or slip and you can over drill these whereas with the slow / gentle pressure required on aluminum can save you. Being patient and doing 1 or 2 I can see these being completed in short time.

Bmel17.. that's true however there are advantages for some people with these. Many people take great pride in building something themselves rather then simply purchasing it completed for example.

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 08:44:14 AM »
If they were in case, "easier"  , then they would not be as strong?
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Bmel17

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 01:21:16 PM »

Bmel17.. that's true however there are advantages for some people with these. Many people take great pride in building something themselves rather then simply purchasing it completed for example.

I completely understand, but I just see the extra $20 for a stripped lower as a wise investment.  I'd hate to have a $70 paperweight! Unless you buy the jig and are planning to do a few of these to make it worth your while.  Same coin to me as the casual reloader who reloads 100 rounds a year.  Initial investment never outweighs the benefit for an extremely long period of time.

The nice thing about the 80% to me is, that it is NOT a receiver :) I've wanted to buy a few to have sitting around just in case. 

Bmel17

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 01:34:32 PM »
If they were in case, "easier"  , then they would not be as strong?

Youtube polymer lower torture test.

I can't speak for this brand, but I have seen other poly lowers in action and the are not as strong as the metal ones, but they aren't complete crap. The buffer tube part is prone to breaking under stress like being dropped on the stock. 

IMO, an AR built on a poly lower not going to be my SHTF gun, but one on a metal lower will be.  I do think they are just fine for a range weapon.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 06:30:41 PM »
I completely understand, but I just see the extra $20 for a stripped lower as a wise investment.  I'd hate to have a $70 paperweight! Unless you buy the jig and are planning to do a few of these to make it worth your while.  Same coin to me as the casual reloader who reloads 100 rounds a year.  Initial investment never outweighs the benefit for an extremely long period of time.

The nice thing about the 80% to me is, that it is NOT a receiver :) I've wanted to buy a few to have sitting around just in case. 

I agree its not a money saver. Buying and completing these will in fact cost more. For most people its not about the money but about the project. The jig is not necessary though they do make the job easier. All the measurements and specs are available online and being careful while measuring correctly they can be done without a jig. That said, I'd use a jig lol. It's to bad their jigs are said to only be 1 time use but for 15$ its acceptable. Some are upwards of 130$.

I could buy and save money by purchasing a Nissan Versa or Chevrolet Spark (being the cheapest cars in the USA) but I choose not to. Instead I have an 4x4 Ford Exploder that I enjoy maintaining myself and a 40+ year old Shelby/Mustang worth more then some folks homes. Financially neither are wise investments. Sometimes we simply don't care if its worth it or not but look at the enjoyment we get from building something ourselves.

Question for you.. why buy a few and have them sitting around? Buy a few, dig out the drill press, mini mill, dremel, hand drill and files (ack!) and have fun making a couple. :)

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 07:52:30 PM »
Ford Exploder. :)
I hope not!!
New Castle County

Bmel17

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 08:10:47 PM »

Question for you.. why buy a few and have them sitting around? Buy a few, dig out the drill press, mini mill, dremel, hand drill and files (ack!) and have fun making a couple. :)

Same reason I bought a fixer upper house.  I get it 100% but I just think for a poly lower $70 is too much $$

I would get a few metal 80%'s just for the reason I stated previously, they are not receivers.  So basically, crazy prepper/paranoid gov't reasons!

groundgrid

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 08:54:40 PM »
All of the 80% lowers appear to be priced too high. Probably because, like you said, they are not "receivers"

I do have a couple of metal ones but will try the poly first for practice. In either case, it is not cost effective. However, learning how every single part fits together is extremely valuable. I usually avoid completely disassembling any of my guns.

It is mostly an educational endeavor with the bonus of an off the books & legal firearm when done.
Here’s the real issue: when your religion is government, and government is god, you cannot tolerate any other God before it
(The reason why Liberal/Progressives have waged a war on Christianity)

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 10:14:29 PM »
   Lets play Mr Rogers..   

Poly.    =  plastic

Metal,   =  alum or steel.?   

Yes, I say this because , there are Alum lowers . 

And Steel lowers.   

Weld together plates,  with holes drilled ect. think about it.     
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Bmel17

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 11:27:41 PM »
I prefer metal in general.  I do like the lighter aluminum a lot, but you are right on target with welding steel plates together!

EricF1983

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 03:52:35 AM »
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here but....
I'd be careful with the poly lowers, the ATF raided a Ares Armor yesterday despite a restraining order.  The reason? Polymer 80% lowers...
They raided EP Armory, now ALL their poly 80%s are "out of stock". ATF claims the lowers were manufactured first with the fire control pocket then filled in with plastic. I'd be very cautious if I ordered from either EP or Ares. Figures this crap would start in Cali
All the metal 80%'ers I've seen are aluminum, usually 6061 or 7075. And the jigs are, as long as you don't screw it up, reusable.

http://www.guns.com/2014/03/13/ares-armor-halts-atf-raid-refuses-turn-customer-names-video/
http://www.bizpacreview.com/2014/03/16/atf-raids-gun-store-despite-restraining-order-protecting-customer-list-106684

http://www.thebangswitch.com/ep-armory-raided-by-the-atf/

joep19934

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 02:41:48 AM »
Its not just Ares Armor that's being looked into.
I guess the ATF is looking closely at everyone that is selling 80% Lowers ---->

http://www.eparmory.com/Current-News-s/1845.htm

« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 09:03:14 PM by joep19934 »
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits
BRIDGEVILLE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Member
Delaware State Sportsman's Association

ampb5rider

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 05:55:40 PM »
I have two Aluminum 80's, one complete and the other in the works. Being a Machinist has its advantages!
NRA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
MA CCW
Utah CCW
Applied for DE CCDW