Author Topic: Hunting with .22 question  (Read 8104 times)

Moosie

• Life Member
Hunting with .22 question
« on: September 24, 2013, 07:21:11 PM »
Preface: I'm not a hunter. I've never shot and killed an animal.

I was talking with a friend and they asked if I had a .22.  Nope.. if I'm going to pull the trigger, I dont' want to have to beat the person to death because the bullets I fired simply pissed them off.  :)  They brought up a good point that if SHTF, I don't have any small caliber firearms that would be good for hunting small animals.. like rabbit, without practically destroying my dinner. 

I'm thinking that a .22 hand gun is better than a rifle because it's carried easier. Does this matter / play a part in hunting?  Should I think rifle or pistol? Is there a specific make and model you'd recommend?  Scope or no scope? 

Thanks!!

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Obleo

• Life Member
Re: Hunting with .22 question
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 07:34:12 PM »
If food production is the goal a rifle is really the best option.  A .22 from a rifle has ample power for small game.  The cost and weight make it a no-brainer.  I would highly recommend a Ruger 10/22.  This rifle has a ton of after market options.  I've had one for over 30 years and find it very reliable and easy to maintain.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Bmel17

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 07:36:13 PM »
For hunting, target, SHTF  I have a Ruger 1022.  I don't have mine scoped and just use the iron sights.  

Now for legalities (say you ever did want to hunt with it before SHTF)- This os for DE only -You can only hunt with a handgun if the barrel is 6 inches or longer and must be a larger caliber like .357 and up and are south of the canal.  Rifles that are .22 can be used to hunt south of the canal.

I prefer the rifle only because they are that more accurate.  That and my eyes get worse and worse every few years!  

Also they are cheap as hell to go shoot at the range! Makes for a fun day of plinking and seeing what you can do  :D

Also great for small game in a SHTF scenario are pellet guns.  I have one that shoots something 1200FPS and will take down groundhogs/raccoons too if you hit them right.  Which are much cheaper than 22's and ammo is easily and readily available.

Yokota85

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 07:38:46 PM »
Rife for small game is good Hand guns can not be used in De for hunting unless it’s during hand gun season for deer in Jan, then it must be a large cal, I think the min is 357 or 44 and the barrel needs to be around 6” but check the law just to make sure I haven’t reviewed in  a few years

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 07:56:05 PM »
Thank you for the input! 

I'm going to look into purchasing the rifle. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 09:13:17 PM »
I also love the Ruger 10/22. It's the AR15 of the .22 world, with aftermarket barrels, stocks, triggers galore. I like plinking with .22LR rifles and handguns. Cheap (relatively) and fun.
Good luck!
New Castle County

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 09:44:44 PM »
Hand gun hunting for deer in DE.  MUST be either a single shot or revolver shooting straight wall ammo .357 or larger.  Must be carried in a sling or holstered.
Barrel length must be 5.75 to 12 inches long.

My goto .22 would be  a Savage FVT with peeps.  MSRP now 455.  But if I were to get one, sure I could find a better price around 225.
But that's if I had one.  Only have my trusty 12ga double per Joe's recommendation...
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 12:06:30 AM »
The Ruger 10/22 as has been said is a great rifle. They have a new version called the BreakDown where the barrel and stock break apart for easier packing. I have a 10/22 and use the irons but also have a small scope on it for both worlds.

Also look into PCP air rifles available today from .17 to .545 and have been used to take down water buffalo and rhino. I have a Benjamin Marauder PCP rifle in .22 that'll take down a fox or small dog if need be. It's also completely silent.. Only thing you hear is the bolt. Takes a 10 round rotary mag. Available in .17, .22 & .25 pellets. The rifle is just under 500$ and you need either an air (scuba) or a high pressure hand pump running about 169$. Fills at 3000psi and running down to about 1800 will give you about 60 shots. They also come with a great 2-stage adjustable trigger and pressure adjustability as well.

Everyone should have a good .22 rifle. However the addition of one of these high powered PCP pellet rifles w/handpump and you can take small game down for years for 20$ in pellets plus having the added benefit of not being heard. Very accurate as well. I haven't had the chance (or room) myself but have seen the Marauder reach out to targets at 300 yards. These are not the old Daisy rifles we had as kids :)

http://www.amazon.com/Benjamin-Marauder-Air-Rifle-rifle/dp/B001QUM0O2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380067286&sr=8-1&keywords=benjamin+marauder+22

The .17 is the loudest due to its speed, the .22 is very very quiet (silent) and the .25 is kind of between the two. I wanted silent so got the .22.

CZSHOOTER

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 12:17:11 AM »
Delaware does not allow you to hunting with a hang gun, with the exception of deer during Muzzle loader season where you are allowed to carry a Black powder side arm as a back up and also during the first week of January for handgun season and even then there are special restrictions like Radnor pointed out.

Federal Firearm

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 01:27:06 AM »
Moosie...thank you again.....always a pleasure to see you...enjoy the new .22 and let me know how well the hot rounds perform....

Bmel17

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 01:59:49 AM »
haha wow that was quick!

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 02:14:46 AM »
Agreed  :D So what you get? A Ruger or Savage or something entirely different?  ;D

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 02:22:52 AM »
I'm the proud new owner of a Ruger 10/22.  Black synthetic stock.  :) 

Hey, I don't waste time. If I have the cash, why wait?  Besides, I get to see my favorite FFL which puts a smile on my face regardless of whats going on.   ;D

FedFirearm, always good to see you as well.  I will be sure to let you know about the hot rounds.  Maybe early next week if I can get things done in time!  See you again soon. 

:)  Moosie

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 02:27:00 AM »
The Ruger 10/22 as has been said is a great rifle. They have a new version called the BreakDown where the barrel and stock break apart for easier packing....

The beauty of the Ruger 10/22 is that it doesn't breakdown and if you want to carry it in a backpack you can buy the Takedown version.  http://ruger.com/products/1022Takedown/models.html. :). (Couldn't resist).

Air rifle info very interesting. Thanks.

Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 02:30:42 AM »
My main purpose for this rifle is to hunt small game with it..  I cant see me taking time to break it down for packing, etc. Maybe I'm not seeing the bigger picture?  I'm always open to new info. 

Thanks everyone for the info and input. You guys are invaluable!

Moosie