Author Topic: Just a thought...  (Read 10236 times)

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Just a thought...
« on: September 26, 2013, 10:22:16 AM »
This is one of those brilliant ideas that suggests a significant investment of time and money, mostly by people other than myself, for a good (OK, great) cause... so, bear with me:

People with a domestic violence restraining order are "shall issue" in Delaware, and for good reasons.
The biggest single expense in the initial CCDW application process is the training.
Perhaps our group -- not only the instructors who would do the work, but those of us who can afford to chip in for expenses-- should offer free training, and assistance with the application process, to victims of domestic violence?

Think about the benefit we might do. (If one person doesn't get hurt because of our efforts, it would be worth it).
It might generate a lot of positive publicity and increased visibility for the instructors who are donating the training. (This is the kind of story that gets in the local paper, and then goes viral on the Web).

My wife and I would love to donate a case of ammo to this effort... Thoughts?
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Re: Just a thought...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 02:09:54 PM »
Better idea than a Starbucks appreciation day.  Positive PR for 2A.  Needs a sponsor: club or trainer.  I'd be happy to donate a small amount for training fees.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 03:40:59 PM »
Checkout gofundme.com sometime. Put in a goal of $X amount for startup of a Domestic Voilence CCW Support & Training Program and watch the dollars come in.  ;D

And everything else good and bad head your way. Factor a lot of that funding into legal defense as well  ::)

wildbillbjj

Re: Just a thought...th
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 12:03:11 AM »
302 Tac Ops Group would be glad to help!! Any one in need of training can come see us and we will take care of the course cost. If anyone needs to contact me feel free to call or email. Thanks WB

Bill Walters
Owner/Operator
302 Tac Ops Group/302BJJ
wildbillbjj@hotmail.com
302 897 6260

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 01:08:18 AM »
Save the advertising dollars...   there's a victims advocacy "group" for all victims of crime in Delaware. They deal mainly with child abuse and domestic violence.  The biggest challenge you might face is that "victims" typically don't want to be identified as such. Also, it's a mind set typically, not a matter of being able to defend/not defend him/herself.

BUT... if you're determined to do this..   contact Lisa Ogden. She's the Exec. Director of the Delaware Victims' Compensation Assistance Program. It reaches all three counties.  lisa.ogden@state.de.us. 302.255.1770 is the main number.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 01:47:39 AM »
I lack determination, mainly because I'm working full time and running a side business... I thought I would defer to the more effective and determined members of the group (we seem to have plenty), and help out as I can if something comes of it.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 03:59:04 AM »
EEkkk...  my point was save your advertising dollars because you can most likely start with that agency.  Sorry.  Wasn't trying to discourage anyone whose intention is to reach out and do a good thing.

;D

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 09:59:21 AM »
EEkkk...  my point was save your advertising dollars because you can most likely start with that agency.  Sorry.  Wasn't trying to discourage anyone whose intention is to reach out and do a good thing.

;D

Moosie

No, ma'am, you didn't discourage me...  :)

Rabbit

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 07:27:26 AM »
We could start by organizing a shooting match to raise money for the "victims/survivors" of domestic violence. We could give the money raised to Delaware Victims' Compensation Assistance Program or the Delaware Coalition Against Domestic Violence. this will serve two functions, one it will give us (deccw) good press second it will help us develop the contacts to move foreword with oldgreygeeks idea to provide training, help with application process, and possibly financial assistance for the process. I don't think starting off with "we want to hand out guns to stop domestic violence" will flyover so well. We should test the water by holding a little charity shooting competition.

I think between Deccw,  Deloc, and the Delaware gun community at large we can get enough participants to raise a significant contribution.

Just my two cents.

Rabbit

lems902

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 03:11:18 AM »
Great ideas. I'd be in for whatever is ultimately decided. My wife was formerly in an abusive relationship...and still has active PFA orders against her ex!
New Castle County
NRA Patron Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
DE/PA/FL CCDW permits

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 09:12:23 PM »

rabbit, I do .like your idea. Please bring it forward. I will be glad to help with what ever I can.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Rabbit

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 11:11:59 PM »
Now that I put some thought in to it, here it what needs to be done. First things first, we will need a venue. My thoughts are Brandywine Hundred Rod and Gun Club or Bridgeville rifle and pistol club. They have the facilities to host an event of that size.  And we will need to set a date for the event Then we will need the following:
  • Pick and contact the charity; will they take the money we raise?
  • Get vender’s to donate prizes to the top shots.
  • Volunteers to work the event i.e. range safety, score keepers/judges, parking detail, registration table and so on.
  • Food venders.
  • Determine the match’s course of fire and event rules.
  • When that is all done then we get to determine entry fees, and make flyers to post online and at gun stores just to get the word out.
  • Gift bags filled with swag (Stuff We All Get) for the participants and the volunteers.

I’m just throwing it out there if we set the date for Oct of next year then we can do a zombie teamed match and or we could invite everyone running for state senate and house as an opportunity to show how truly Pro 2A they are.

Does anybody have something to add, what are your thoughts is it worth further consideration?

lems902

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 06:05:10 PM »
Sounds cool to me!  I'd gladly volunteer!
New Castle County
NRA Patron Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
DE/PA/FL CCDW permits