Author Topic: CCDW Club  (Read 11986 times)

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Re: CCDW Club
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 12:43:12 AM »
If you are willing to pay ~$40 +Shipping for an IWB holster, Old Faithful Holsters has a kit that requres minimal assembly, i.e., pound the t-nuts into the leather and screw on the kydex and belt clips. They used to offer horsehide but now offer English Bridle leather. Read the definition below or ask Tom Tedder for more info.  They have a 30 day money-back guarantee; didn't use it since I'm happy.
http://oldfaithfulholsters.com
What is English bridle leather? (from dogids.com)
Vegetable tanned authentic "English" bridle leather is made from heavy high quality native steer hides and drum dyed for deep, consistent colors with waxes and tallows. It is then hot stuffed with just the right amount of "spew" on the grain and flesh to have that English feel. English bridle leather collars are relatively stiff when new, but with proper care and break-in will become soft and extremely supple, conforming perfectly to your dog's neck and have outstanding durability. Hence, it is an ideal leather to use for dog products and that is why we only use this type of leather.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

TechGeek

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 02:28:29 PM »
Just wanted to post back I had my first CC excursion Saturday afternoon / evening.  Carried for about 10 hours or so and went to dinner later on in the evening.  I tried the tuck in t-shirt method with a long sleeve shirt over top and it worked perfect for me (no riding up or anything).  I had to get used to something poking me in the side and also when I tried to lean back in my chair at dinner it was against the bottom of my pistol but other than that pretty comfy:)

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 03:43:57 PM by TechGeek »
Kent County

Newlife503

• Life Member
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 03:36:06 PM »
Just wanted to post back I had my first CC excursion Saturday afternoon / evening.  Carried for about 10 hours or so and went to dinner later on in the evening.  I tried the tuck in t-shirt method with a long sleeve shirt over top and it worked perfect for me (no riding up or anything).  I had to get used to something poking me in the side and also when I tried to lean back in my chair at dinner it was against the bottom of my weapon but other than that pretty comfy:)

I've gotten so used to carrying I forget it's there, it is kind of funny when my wife I go out to eat and I sit back in the chair and hear a thump as the handle of my Glock hits the back of the seat I think to myself what the heck was that and then it clicks, oh yeah that's the gun I've been carrying all day! Lol
NRA Life Member
DSSA Member
DE,PA,FL,UT CC Permits
New Castle County

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 06:59:35 PM »
What position are you carrying at? I tried back around 4-4:30 but couldn't get comfortable with my Walther PPQ. The smaller PPS fits there nicely but have only carried it a few times. Moved the PPQ to about 3 on my side and then back just slightly and its gone. Don't feel it when sitting down or getting in/out of the truck at all.

After a month it becomes habit to put on and you don't notice it much anymore.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 10:34:27 PM »
Sounds funny to me that people are always trying to tell others what is best in a holster for them. The fact is most people go through 3-6 holsters before settling on their everyday carry holster. I guess I was lucky. The first holster I bought was from the Wal-Mart Sporting Goods Dept. and was a cheapie hylon basic that I used to take my range courses with.
I did a lot of research and looked at quite a few holsters in stores and on line. Some of the prices are outragously expenseve. How 2 companies can sell the same design holster, made of cowhide and they are priced $30-$50 dollars higher is beyond common sense.
I finally found a company in Florida called, what else but The Holster Store. They make their own holsters on site of US materials.
They ship really fast. I had mine here in 5 days of ordering it. I went with the Pro-Carry, Deep Comfort IWB. I have been wearing it for 2 years, everyday, all day, and have not found 1 single fault with it. How much di this "wonder holster" cost you might ask?   No not $75, Not $100,  Just $39.95. It still holds it shape and I'd feel lost without it.

www.theholsterstore.com

You can shop by the pistol make a model you have also, for good fit. I did use the old wax paper trick to make for a smoth draw and re-holster when it was new.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Newlife503

• Life Member
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 10:40:32 PM »
What position are you carrying at? I tried back around 4-4:30 but couldn't get comfortable with my Walther PPQ. The smaller PPS fits there nicely but have only carried it a few times. Moved the PPQ to about 3 on my side and then back just slightly and its gone. Don't feel it when sitting down or getting in/out of the truck at all.

After a month it becomes habit to put on and you don't notice it much anymore.
Mine sits about 4 o'clock
NRA Life Member
DSSA Member
DE,PA,FL,UT CC Permits
New Castle County

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 01:10:54 AM »
3:30 and OWB for my Xd9s.  Wife bought me some nice shirts
That don't get tucked in
   Best wife in the world!!!
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 04:09:04 AM »
Sounds funny to me that people are always trying to tell others what is best in a holster for them.
How 2 companies can sell the same design holster, made of cowhide and they are priced $30-$50 dollars higher is beyond common sense.

Yet you just did the same thing.. ;) funny ehh. lol

The Holster Store's Pro Carry Hybrid ($59.95) is about the closest design to the Comp-Tac MTAC ($90.00) that I have. Their same design lacks an adjustable cant, adjustable ride depth, adjustable tension screws and interchangeable kydex bodies for other firearms just off the top of my head. I believe theirs is also only a single layer of hide with the hardware exposed on the backside where as the MTAC has a second layer added to hide the hardware and provide additional comfort. I've used the metal clips and didn't like them, as compared to the kydex ones, finding they were much more difficult to put on / take off. Their page for this product also says it has a "one week production time" whereas my MTAC was shipped out next day and was received in 4-5 days.

Those are some pretty big difference between 2 holsters with the same design and the extra $30.00, IMHO, is entirely reasonable for those extra benefits.

I'm in no way knocking their product! Nor am I saying the MTAC is better for everyone. Just pointing out how an extra $30 for the same design can be justified and still be common sense. :)

In the end, as you said, most people will go through 1/2 a dozen holsters or more in the search for what fits them as it really is entirely personal. Its a great thing we have a choice and of holsters we have tons of choices! I'm glad your first choice was as successful as my first choice was for carry holsters.  :D

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 09:56:43 PM »
I dont think anyone here has given advice to someone that they need to get a specific holster.  We've all stated what we went with or tried...  hoping if we find subpar materials we can pass that along - or vice versa. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident