Author Topic: GunsAndAmmo:The Best Concealed Carry States in 2013  (Read 7051 times)

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
GunsAndAmmo:The Best Concealed Carry States in 2013
« on: October 29, 2013, 04:23:40 AM »
http://www.gunsandammo.com/2013/10/24/best-concealed-carry-states-2013-text-only/

Delaware ranks 44th behind Maryland and Illinois
"Although open carry is technically legal, obtaining a May-Issue concealed carry permit is next to impossible. First, an individual must have their application published into a newspaper—which must have at least 35 percent circulation to people in their Zip code. Among other requirements, an individual must also submit reference questionnaires completed by five citizens who also reside in the same county."

Ah, bask in the pleasure of having achieved the "next to impossible". According to this ranking, I should have stayed in MD because it is a better concealed carry state.  From experience, ranking systems need to have a sanity check: IMO, GunsAndAmmo missed on this one.  A good comparison metric would have been the per capita concealed carry permit holders.  MD is likely in the pits for percentage of permit holders.  Anyone know the stats for MD?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 04:44:00 AM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

seniorgeek

• Life Member
Re: GunsAndAmmo:The Best Concealed Carry States in 2013
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 12:03:11 PM »
The article pretty much tells it like it is.
I agree, I would like to see a report on percentage of CCDW permit holders for each state. There are a few states that won't have this data because there is not a CCDW law so anyone can carry concealed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 06:33:55 PM »
I find the "next to impossible" statement excellant even if not accurate.  I'll bet most of us were severly wired waiting for the mail carrier for months on end.  That alone is a heck of a crucible.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 10:06:16 PM »
I find the "next to impossible" statement excellant even if not accurate.  I'll bet most of us were severly wired waiting for the mail carrier for months on end.  That alone is a heck of a crucible.

I submit that "onerous" or "invasive" are more descriptive terms than "next to impossible". We have to wait but eventually the permit arrives. Here are two comments from an NJ resident that I consider "next to impossible".

"To buy a Glock I first need a state firearms permit, applied for through the police dept, including fingerprints, yada, yada. Then for EACH Glock I need to go to the police station, preferably between 9-5 Monday to Friday and submit an application. The police do something with this for about a month, then I am allowed to return, again between 9-5 Monday to Friday, to get my purchase permit and I am now allowed to purchase my Glock.

With the Glock I now own, I can have it in my home and I can take it to the range or a gunsmith. I cannot even transport it anywhere else. If I have the Glock locked in the trunk and stop for gas on the way to the range, I have just violated state law."
And
"I understand there are about 1500 CCW permits out of 1.4 million gun owners in NJ. The existing permits are typically well connected individuals, e.g. The governor, etc.  Normal citizens need not apply."
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 12:32:03 AM »
I find the "next to impossible" statement excellant even if not accurate.  I'll bet most of us were severly wired waiting for the mail carrier for months on end.  That alone is a heck of a crucible.

I totally agree. "next to impossible" is completely inaccurate!!

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 03:37:22 AM »
Actually, this keeps us under the radar.  Anyone reading this, who doesn't know how things are, would assume that almost no one has a carry permit in DE.  Really, how many people have a carry permit if it is "next to impossible" to get one?
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 09:51:29 AM »
Actually, this keeps us under the radar.  Anyone reading this, who doesn't know how things are, would assume that almost no one has a carry permit in DE.  Really, how many people have a carry permit if it is "next to impossible" to get one?

Agreed. Let's keep it that way.
I was at a Costco in Colorado with a prominent "NO FIREARMS" sign. This is a national policy, but our Costco doesn't have the sign. I visited a WalMart in New Mexico with a sign spelling out that it was a FELONY to carry a gun in the store. We don't have that kind or cr@p in Delaware. Let's keep flying low.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 01:52:16 PM »
I feel that whoever did the Guns & Ammo article, didn't do much of a research job in Delaware. I think it is actually easy to get a DECCW, that is if your are free of infractions of the laws, and lead a clean life. The cost is not as cheap as some states, but not counting the gun, which I already had, I spent $235.00 in total expense(including 100 rounds of 9MM ammo) to get my permit a couple of years ago. None of the fees have gone up since then. But, the ammo sure has.
The thing we really need is reciprocity with more states, and better yet, with all states.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 07:56:15 PM »
I agree SR.. While the state is 'may issue' from what I've seen it pretty much issues the permit to anyone as long as they are clean and don't give a restrictive reason why they want a CCDW. Ok so the newspaper thing I have an issue with but its a short phone call or visit to the papers office, not a big ordeal at all. I really didn't think it was expensive at all. The wife and I both took our course together and everything else to submit our applications.

In total, I've spent more on (REALLY) good dinners at fine restaurants many times over the years.

Also, as a personal opinion, I rather disagree with the entire 'under the radar' thing. I really think it tends to help the anti folks as the general public remains oblivious to learning about firearms. That is, aside from their perspective because that's all they hear.

Could you imagine.. Placing a full page ad in a local community newspaper along with some radio advertising of a CCDW & Firearms Informational Conference to promote awareness and truth to the public! Start with say Middletown next month, Bear the next, Townsend after that, etc. I think the general public needs to have a better understanding and really, the only way that happens to to actively promote it.

Gasp! Shush! Lets not go there!

SteveMiller

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 12:53:23 AM »
Kind of a worthless article. I think they should have focused more on all the places you are not allowed to carry in some of these "higher" rated states. Were is the ding for not being able to enter a restaurant that serves alcohol or posts a no guns allowed sign.

Not saying Delaware should be at the top of the list, but this really misses the mark.
Steve Miller
DSSA
NRA Life Member
Gun Owners of America

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 01:12:49 AM »
Agreed.  These "shall issue" states do give the permits out but many of them have so many restrictions that hamper everyday carry

As was pointed out if you travel and see all these signs that have full weight of the law

In some cases a FELONY if you miss the sign

Some states against the law if your gun is visible and this is in supposedly "gun states" like Florida and Texas

Obviously the little state of Delaware did not warrant much research. 

I wonder how many Marylanders would trade places with us

DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 11:23:22 AM »
44+6=50.  Are these the same people that rated us #6 in gun crime???  That would be a good statistic for becoming a shal issue state.

Actually, the process is expensive, lengthy, and cumbersome, but far from impossible.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 03:46:50 AM »
Actually, the process is expensive, lengthy, and cumbersome, but far from impossible.

I agree with you Bill. Especially counting the many trip to acquire ammo, fingerprints, newspaper, CCDW course, etc,. BUT it was all worth it when the permit arrived. My wife and mine both arrived the same day in the same envelope. (state saving money on postage)  :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County