Author Topic: Delaware #6  (Read 8205 times)

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Delaware #6
« on: October 06, 2013, 11:54:52 PM »
Well the numbers are out, for the most dangerous states to live in, for violent crime. And, our own little small state of Delaware, The second smallest state in America came in 6th. That's right 6th out of 50 states. Now if that isn't a good enough reaseon to carry a Concealed Weapon, I don't know what is.
A few years back when I got my DECCW, I put on the application a reference to Delaware's high violent crime rate on my application as reason for the permit. If the Superior Court Judges and Attorney Generals offices don't want to do anything about crime, we can at least protect our selves. I refuse to be a victim.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Re: Delaware #6
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 02:29:31 AM »
@sturm, please provide the link to your data.
The FBI Uniform Crime Report 2012 covers violent crime by state and city.  However, the FBI only provides stats for cities with population greater than 100,000.  Wilmington is about 72,000 per Wikipedia so Delaware isn't listed.
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/preliminary-semiannual-uniform-crime-report-january-june-2012/data-tables/table-4-cuts/table_4_offenses_reported_to_law_enforcement_by_state_colorado_through_idaho_2012.xls
The FBI 2009 violent crime per 100,000 rates DE high but you have to dig thru data to compare the states.  DC 1345.9, NV 702.2, SC 670.8, TN 667.7, DE 636, AK 633. The numbers may be misleading but DE ain't safe.
http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2009/data/table_05.html
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 02:52:19 AM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Newlife503

• Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSSA Member
DE,PA,FL,UT CC Permits
New Castle County

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 03:05:11 AM »
Following from your link to states with the most gun violence http://247wallst.com/special-report/2013/04/15/states-with-the-most-gun-violence/, DE didn't make the top ten; #10 to #1, GA, AR, MO, NM, SC, MI, AZ, AL, AK, LA.  So in that stat, it may be that our wee community makes a difference. You are right though, it isn't pretty but at least we get to carry as opposed to NJ and MD.
Use the data with caution, the source is the Center for American Progress, a progressive think tank.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 03:25:21 AM by Cbmarine »
New Castle County

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »
The source for my comment about Delaware Being #6 and Maryland Being #9 was:

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2013/10/04/the-most-dangerous-states-in-america/2/

It is possible that if you look at 3 other reports, by 3 other polls, you will find 3 other findings.

The point I was making, was the Delaware, being such a small left leaning state, is super high in the violent crime index, for it's size.

DECCW Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 07:06:13 PM »
Absolutely NO disagreement on DE violence ranking. Just repeating a caution from an economics course that you should always consider the source of the data because the omission of a pertinent fact, a fact spin, or an outright fabrication is probable in today's journalism. The ideal is Heinlein's Fair Witness but that "ain't gonna happen".
In any case, at least we have the option, albeit expensive, to get a carry permit in DE and a non-res in PA, UT, and FL, plus others. And I can assert that if a person is capable, they should get at least one permit and be proficient and knowledgeable.

Thanks for posting the article. 
New Castle County

groundgrid

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 03:11:37 AM »
For those of you not familiar with Heinlein's Fair Witness:
The Fair Witness is a character from a science fiction novel titled "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert A. Heinlein

From Wikipedia:
Fair Witness is a fictional profession invented for the novel. A Fair Witness is an individual trained to observe events and report exactly what he or she sees and hears, making no extrapolations or assumptions. An eidetic memory is a prerequisite for the job, although this may be attainable with suitable training.
In Heinlein's society, a Fair Witness is a highly reputable source of information. By custom, a Fair Witness acting professionally, generally wearing distinctive white robes, is never addressed directly, and is never acknowledged by anyone present.
The character Jubal Harshaw employs a Fair Witness, Anne, as one of his secretaries. Unlike the other secretaries, she does not use dictation equipment when Jubal speaks, and can keep track of several works at once, despite Harshaw's frequent switching among them.
Fair Witnesses are prohibited from drawing conclusions about what they observe. As a demonstration, Harshaw asks Anne to describe the color of a house in the distance. She responds, "It's white on this side"; whereupon Harshaw explains that she would not assume knowledge of the color of the other sides of the house without being able to see them. Furthermore, after observing another side of the house she would not then assume that any previously seen side was still the same color as last reported, even if only minutes before.

We could use some of these in the news media.
Here’s the real issue: when your religion is government, and government is god, you cannot tolerate any other God before it
(The reason why Liberal/Progressives have waged a war on Christianity)

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 02:45:15 PM »
Like you say groundgrid, a fictional world, a fictional profession. No hope for todays Media. Weare a nation devided and we are on our way to being overrun by the enemy. And the enemy are us.

DECCW Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 05:29:58 PM »
Probably true that there is no hope for today's media.  Pogo's political satire aside, the print media, i.e., newspapers are hurting; the New York Times sold off the Boston Globe for $70M. Quoting from the same article: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/04/business/media/new-york-times-company-sells-boston-globe.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

"The Globe is not the only paper to sell at a heavily discounted price. In April 2012, Philadelphia’s newspapers sold for $55 million after selling for $515 million in 2006. In October, The Tampa Tribune sold for $9.5 million. In recent talks on the sale of the Tribune Company’s portfolio of newspapers, analysts estimated that the entire newspaper company, including The Los Angeles Times and The Chicago Tribune, was worth only $623 million."

My point is that we can subscribe and listen to media outlets that don't preach the progressive mantra.  Capitalism still rules unless and until Obamacare gets entrenched in our society.

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.”
― Alexis de Tocqueville
New Castle County

Capnball

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 02:11:05 PM »
My experience is that the Progressive Statist hates the truth as much as he/she hates Individual Liberty. They twist data to fit a specific agenda with the goal of "proving" that there is some sort of problem caused by not enough government control. Then, they hand you the solution for your problem. Which is almost always some new law that does nothing more than strip the citizen of some right or ability to make a choice. The so-called problem of course is never solved and is often made much worse. Obama-care would fit this pattern quite well, along with crime rates and gun-control. The Hegelian Dialectic - Step one - Create the problem. Step 2 - Demonstrate the problem loudly through the media and scare everyone. Step Three - implement the solution. Convince people that they must give up freedom in order to be safe, and more and bigger government is the only way for the populace to survive.

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 01:55:36 AM »
Moral of the story is delaware is becoming a sh&T hole.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

robberbaron

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 02:07:20 AM »
You've got that right or as I put it, we are "New Jersey Lite".

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 02:39:58 AM »
Maybe but its still better then New Jersey, New York, Maryland, California, Illinois and a couple others. Things could be worse! Looking into my neighbors crystal ball I see it getting much worse to.

What I don't understand is why the American People allow the blatant government corruption to continue. Repeal the bad laws and representatives who ignore the people. Delaware's laws of hard sentences on minor infractions, recreational drugs, etc but work deals and soft sentences on violent and repeat offenders. Colorado got 2 reps canned through a repeal and I see they are moving on towards a few more. Why hasn't there been a repeal initiative here? Moving out of state.. ObamaCare is the absolute epitome of bad laws and most people know it and more are finding out daily. My own pet peeve are laws on bullying. This was political from the start. Bullying is a fact of life and kids need to learn how to deal with it. Heck, we adults are bullied everyday with crap like... ObamaCare. Common Core in the school system is not about education at all but about lining the pockets of the rich even more. Banning big gulps. Immigration Reform! Take it from someone who knows.. While the Immigration system did need changes it did not need a complete overhaul. What it is now is an open invite for illegals. Very little the government does these days is for The People.

Yes I'm Canadian and I can go back anytime I'd like however I actually like it here damnit. I also went through hell legally getting here. The sad thing is I see absolutely no good forthcoming without a major government change.. and that's never a good thing.

Ok so I just went off a bit but my point is nothing is going to get better waiting for your politicians to 'fix' things. The political deck is stacked against the American people I'm afraid.

Edit.. It's stacked against the would be good politicians too.. Yeah. Think there are a few but unfortunately get tromped over.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 02:44:00 AM by Adrenolin »

ThePixelated

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 12:08:04 AM »

Yes it is! I dropped my paperwork off last week.

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 01:43:07 AM »

Yes it is! I dropped my paperwork off last week.

Good for you, welcome to the club and dont forget to get a pa permit while you are at it.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"