Author Topic: Dillon vs Hornady - I chose Hornady.  (Read 7304 times)

Condition 1

• Life Member
Dillon vs Hornady - I chose Hornady.
« on: October 20, 2013, 05:36:05 PM »
My first press was a Lee classic, single stage, pain in the neck. Upgraded to a Lee Turret, loading .45acp only, still using the classic for de-priming, much better but not quite there yet. This year I didn't do any reloading and left my press in the shed, the roof leaked and rusted press and dies...time to upgrade. The contenders were Dillon 550, 650, and Hornady LNL AP. All three with excellent reviews, with their own cult of followers, and lifetime warranty. I liked the 550, Dillon claims to be their workhorse, but the deal breaker for me were the manual Indexing and four stations instead of five. My choices were now Dillon 650 vs Hornady LNL. Both auto Indexing, both great reviews, both five stations, both lifetime warranty, both with happy customers with years of usage after thousands of reloads. The difference between the two were the easy to change calibers and price. Not having experience with either, my research shows the LNL is the winner hands down for changing calibers, and less expensive. I am planning on adding 10mm and .223 in a few months. For .223, because of case prepping, I will do two passes through the press - first pass de-prime and trim, tumble, swagger; replace the dies for the second pass then prime, powder, seating.

Thanks to Federal Firearm for helping me out.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 05:44:15 PM by Condition 1 »

Just Bill

• Life Member
Re: Dillon vs Hornady - I chose Hornady.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 10:26:37 PM »
Similar question, but a step down in equipment.  I have narrowed things down to the Lee classic turret and the Dillon 550B.  Clearly the Dillon has better features, but for $200 more is it worth it????  New to reloading but not a high volume shooter.  Just want more choices in ammo.

I have done a lot of research online and found that I am more confused than ever.  Both are excellent choices, depending on your volume.  But if I start shooting more because it is less expensive, I will need the Dillon, or spend more time on the Lee??????????

JB
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 10:34:43 PM by Just Bill »
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 11:18:09 PM »
I have the Lee Turret, I would go for the 550 between the two.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 02:22:53 AM »
It feels great to reload 200 rounds in about 35 minutes. I have so far loaded 400 rounds of .45ACP on this press, since I bought it. The first 100 were a nightmare - without any previous experience with an auto progressive press, I found myself stuck and/or messing up a few steps. The second time (100 rounds with a different recipe) it was much easier, still a few hiccups. But today everything was so smooth, I completely love this machine.

robberbaron

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 11:44:09 PM »
I started reloading in January on a Lee Classic Turret press. It is fine for my needs now, but I can see the advantages of a progressive press especially once the basics of reloading are learned. I am already considering selling the press and upgrading to a Dillon. It will probably be the 650, but I am in no hurry.

ampb5rider

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 12:41:05 PM »
Cost is always an issue but I have a 550 B  which started life as a 550. Probably 25+ years young. Never failed me. I might have failed it but that is operator error. I'd love a 650 but have a full complement of cal. kits I just can't justify changing. I reload .380 to Switch the numbers .308. Dillon is my hand down chose.
NRA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
MA CCW
Utah CCW
Applied for DE CCDW