Author Topic: CCW at Work?  (Read 21784 times)

lems902

CCW at Work?
« on: October 30, 2013, 04:27:56 PM »
I'm wondering if any carries at their workplace, even though there is a "no weapons" policy?  In theory - no one would ever know you were carrying unless someone was about to die...and at that point I think they would be pretty appreciative!  I thought I would see if anyone else has crossed this brings - and what thought were on it.  I think my biggest personal risk of potentially needing a weapon in my day-to-day life is at my workplace.  I spent almost the majority of my time there, interact with sometimes angry customers, and handle cash every day.  The chance of a need there is larger than anywhere I probably spend time.
New Castle County
NRA Patron Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
DE/PA/FL CCDW permits

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: CCW at Work?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 05:13:12 PM »
No one in their right mind will publicly answer your question on this thread if they do.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 05:13:47 PM »
If there is a "No Weapons" policy at work, you WILL be fired if your gun is seen or found.  Can you afford to lose your job?
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 08:07:59 PM »
I work at Uncle Dupee, where there are prominent signs, and guards who inspect vehicles. Never been frisked. There is a story of a guy who brought in gun parts, after hours, to media blast, and got fired. Not worth it to me.
New Castle County

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 08:18:06 PM »
No one in their right mind will publicly answer your question on this thread if they do.

Moosie

This! I know far too many employers who have their HR departments routinely do Internet research on their employees. It's much easier then you'd think to trace you and 'anonymous' Internet handles.

To answer your question.. It's a personal choice you and only you can answer. I'd definitely consult your spouse for their input as well. As has been said, if its a policy and the firearm is discovered you will be fired. Do you know your supervisor or the owner of the company well. Depending on the company you could possibly get the policy changed if you can educate the owner. If you work at Best Buy, good luck with that, but a private firm, business or company you might have luck.

Edit. Personally I'd even suggest you (lems902) edit your initial post and be done with it :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 08:20:25 PM by Adrenolin »

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 10:08:25 PM »
I work in a place that bans firearms on company property, so I leave my firearm(s) in the car (which is not parked on their property).
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Knotacare

• NRA Endowment Member VFW Life Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 10:23:26 PM »
I'm lucky I own my business & I allow firearms on the property ::). In fact I usually clean my guns there & open carry on weekends. To many rules is a bad think..we are getting buried.

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 11:07:47 PM »
SO if a company does not allow their employees to carry weapons are they liable if someone if harmed in workplace violence??????
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Kilroy08

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 04:29:06 AM »
If where you work is that bad, the question should be who's hiring.

I was unemployed and interviewed at a machine shop in Tinicum, PA. One look around as I rolled up for the interview said "Shady Area." The guy called later that day wanting to hire me. I passed on it due to my gut feeling of the necessity of keeping a 1911 in the top drawer of my tool box was an indication I shouldn't be working there.

Most places have a policy about carrying weapons at work. What you choose to do is your business. If you decide to keep something in your car DO NOT say anything about it, it does not exist. There have been many a post on many forums along these lines, "I got canned at XYZ for exercising my 2nd amendment rights." Every time it's come down to the person in question told their work buddy about it trying to show off and/or brag. Guess what, you signed a legally binding contract stating you would abide by your employer's policies regarding your conduct while on their property and on their dime.

I'm not trying to be rude, condescending, or a nickname of one Mr. Richard Head. Just making you aware of the hazards.

Be like our good buddy Sgt. Schultz. "Hogan, I know NOTHING!"

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 01:49:34 PM »
Hogan's Heroes! Funny as all get out! Don't be fooled.. I watched the reruns  ;D

Now I have to go search for it lol

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 08:36:55 PM »
The company I retired from has a no weapons policy.  I was a member of a shooting range near work.  I asked if I could bring a rifle on site to use at the range after work.  I had to submit my request in writing to the security dept.  I received a letter allowing me to have the rifle locked in my trunk while I was at work.  I had to keep the letter with any rifle I brought.  So, sometimes it can be done.
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 07:45:28 AM »
Gee, now I feel old Adrenolin. I remember watching it in Prime Time. <sigh>

Lol sorry about that however you're only as old as you allow yourself to feel. Heck.. I tell myself daily I'm 43 going on 18 forever. Doesn't always work but it helps ;)

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 12:36:53 PM »
Gee, now I feel old Adrenolin. I remember watching it in Prime Time. <sigh>

Lol sorry about that however you're only as old as you allow yourself to feel. Heck.. I tell myself daily I'm 43 going on 18 forever. Doesn't always work but it helps ;)

The is true. The reverse can also be true though. After a few years of rodeo I swear that I feel like I am in my 60s and I am not even 40 yet.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 01:05:43 PM »
The is true. The reverse can also be true though. After a few years of rodeo I swear that I feel like I am in my 60s and I am not even 40 yet.

SB, I reckon that Garth Brooks "Much Too Young To Feel This @@@@ Old" isn't just a song to you!
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

jstgsn

• Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians.
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 06:50:02 PM »
I don't mind answering this question.  I openly carry while at work.  In fact I often field strip and clean weapons at my desk, reloading them when done. occasionally I step out back and fire a couple rounds.  Today I have my Ruger LCP lying on the desk as I stayed in my PJs today.  It's nice working out of ones home.     ;D