Author Topic: A Very Disturbing Story  (Read 3213 times)

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
A Very Disturbing Story
« on: October 31, 2013, 10:15:37 PM »
This should be a warning.  If the situation is so dire that you need to draw, you need to be prepared to shoot.  

Make sure that this doesn't happen!!!

http://www.wave3.com/story/23804755/police-woman-shoots-home-intruder-on-smith-lane-in-hillview
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 10:19:19 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Re: A Very Disturbing Story
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 04:46:16 PM »
If you have it you better be prepared to use it. Even if you never have to draw.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 01:36:28 AM »
I was just talking with a friend today regarding the 3 "musts" of surviving a gunfight. Yes.. a gun fight. That is one of the reasons we carry, isn't it?  The three "musts" are proficiency, awareness, and willingness.  Proficiency of course is putting in the time to be well trained with your firearm. Awareness is situational awareness... always having your head on a swivel, etc. Willingness being the willingness to pull the trigger and dot someone's eye. If you're not willing to do what it takes to be proficient, if you're too lazy or distracted to be aware, or if you're unwilling to pull the trigger when it comes down to it, you shouldn't be carrying a firearm - concealed or open.

Too many people like the idea of carrying concealed... not enough take all three of these serious enough.

Just my opinion.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 01:50:12 AM »
Moosie is absolutely correct. I practice scenarios as to become proficient with my carry pistol (already proficient with my rifle), work on being very aware, (this has taken practice), and as a combat veteran, I am very prepared to shoot.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 02:00:37 AM »
More and more classes are being offered that are "scenario" based. That is shoot and move..  shooting from funky, totally weird positions that you just may find yourself in should things go down. 

The other thing that's great IMO, is to do what if's sitting in the safety of your recliner. Think it through and then the options you might have. 

FYI, Delaware State Pistol Club holds some interesting 'Action Pistol' classes on Mondays that are situationally based.  $5 I think for non members??  Last week they were discussing / shooting a car jacking situation.  Worth looking into!

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 02:07:19 AM »
I'd say its a very small percentage of gun owners and CCDW holders who are proficient, aware, and really willing. I know at least a dozen permit holders who have seen a range less then a dozen times in the last dozen years. Heck.. most LEOs fall miles short of at least being proficient and there are many incidents where a cop freezes up. Thats their (owners) choice however and it should NOT be a LAW requiring annual testing which has been brought up before. We are regulated enough these days.

ESPMan

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 02:09:08 AM »
One thing I have noticed is that many people own firearms, but do not prepare themselves with a simple plan. In the event of a night time home invasion, I know exactly what to grab, where to put myself, where to put my family and how to respond. And its not even limited to just my house, its everywhere I go. Where I walk in the street, my childrens proximity to me, my "spider sense" as we all know it. Many people laugh at this notion, but I always say fortune favors the prepared.

Have you found the tactically advantageous spot in your house yet?
The greatest threat to any society is its ignorance and inaction towards the evil that dwells within it.