Author Topic: 3-D Printed Metal Guns Are Here!  (Read 3666 times)

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
3-D Printed Metal Guns Are Here!
« on: November 09, 2013, 11:28:10 AM »
This is interesting. Opinions?

A company by the name of Solid Concepts has made the world’s first metal gun using a 3D printer.

Based out of Austin, Texas, the 3D-printed metal pistol made by Solid Concepts is based on the Browning 1911 firearm. Solid Concepts set out to make this gun in an effort to prove that they can make weapons that are fit for “real world applications.”

To make the gun, Solid Concepts utilized a manufacturing process known as direct metal laser sintering, or DMLS. DMLS is a 3D manufacturing process used to make metal parts for the aerospace and medical industries. The application for DMLS in the latter example is specific to surgical tools, meaning it’s perfectly suited for the creation of precision firearms.

“The whole concept of using a laser sintering process to 3D Print a metal gun revolves around proving the reliability, accuracy, and usability of 3D Metal Printing as functional prototypes and end use products,” says Solid Concepts’ vice president of additive manufacturing Kent Firestone. “It’s a common misconception that laser sintering isn’t accurate or strong enough, and we’re working to change people’s perspective.”

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/11/08/texas-firm-makes-worlds-first-3d-printed-metal-gun/

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 12:29:35 PM by Hawkeye »

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

groundgrid

• Life Member
Re: 3-D Printed Metal Guns Are Here!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 03:21:24 PM »
Metal 3D printing is still in its infancy.
A VERY expensive machine was used to do this.
Give it 10-15 years & we'll probably all have one.

What no one seems to mention is the state of the CNC machine market.
Currently about $15K will get you a Chinese made machine that can make 100% lower receivers.
from billet stock with minimal skill required on the part of the operator.
A slightly more expensive one will even spit them out the side & start on another one.

Both of these further show the futility of banning guns (or just about anything that can be fabricated).
As was proven during Prohibition, doing so would surely result in a thriving black market run by organized crime .
Here’s the real issue: when your religion is government, and government is god, you cannot tolerate any other God before it
(The reason why Liberal/Progressives have waged a war on Christianity)

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 03:32:38 PM »
Probably won't take the Goberment long to ban 3D printing machines based on copyright infringement.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 11:25:28 PM »
I watched the video on their web site. Very well done.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

ESPMan

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 11:08:28 PM »
We had an opportunity to purchase one at my job, although it printed in plastic media. It was over $100,000 and could make models of parts that were approximately 6" long. Very expensive tech.
The greatest threat to any society is its ignorance and inaction towards the evil that dwells within it.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 01:23:02 AM »
Several years ago I was tasked with researching and purchasing a replacement 3D printer for the company I was working for at the time.  A table top version was only around $30k. I'm not sure how compatible the plastic and elastomer printers are with the metallic ones, but the concept is the same. Awesome stuff!  There were flexible models where it was as soft as a childs toy. Others were rigid, fairly clear when sealed, but they were paintable which allowed us to offer prototypes to clients for fit (govt) without a lot of expense. This is a really fun and interesting technology!!

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

groundgrid

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 01:43:56 AM »
The metal 3D printers are completely different technology than the plastic printers. They use a laser to melt & solidify powered metal.
The largest manufacturer is EOS Gmbh in Germany:  http://www.eos.info/systems_solutions/metal/systems_equipment/eosint_m_280

The plastic 3D printed have entered the consumer marketplace with some available for under $1K.
Some models are even being sold by Staples:

http://www.staples.com/3D+printer/directory_3D+printer?

Trying to figure out an excuse for my company to buy one for me.
Here’s the real issue: when your religion is government, and government is god, you cannot tolerate any other God before it
(The reason why Liberal/Progressives have waged a war on Christianity)

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 02:26:12 AM »
Using the consumer models I wonder about the ability to make small parts such as triggers, levers, sights, etc. Even creating custom handgun lowers that could be used with top slides of Glocks, etc. With the price dropping on the plastic printers (downwards of 500$ now) I see lots of start ups attempting just this type of thing. If for nothing else a personal toy for some with CAD experience and some extra cash. There are even a few Open Source projects where the free software can even print most of the printers own parts.

Edit.. As a side note.. My father turned 65 this past spring and I supplied the cake maker with a photo of us kids and grandkids. They used a 3d printer after scanning the photo to print it on the top of the cake. This was 'pretty darn cool' he said when he saw it. ;D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 02:30:17 AM by Adrenolin »