Author Topic: Man in MD faces second degree murder charges in what should be open and shut SD  (Read 12042 times)

Sorry if this is a repost. I did not find anything searching.

http://freedomoutpost.com/2013/11/air-force-sgt-matt-pinkerton-fires-2-fatal-shots-home-intruder-now-faces-2nd-degree-murder-charge/

Guy is told to leave a guy's house and then kicks in the door. Man shoots him and now he is facing charges. The DA believes the victim ( the person shooting)should have been able to dial 911 between the guy breakin in and him firing.

The da thinks it is strange to answer the door with a gun at 2am   "are you serious?"!!!!!!

On top of that the one being charged is a member of the US air force.

This is the kind of crap I worry about coming to Delaware and other places. It is the political climate of some states that allow this crap. He was in VA or NC I doubt there would have been an issue or PA maybe.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Moosie

• Life Member
I'm having a hard time swallowing this whole case..   if things happened exactly as the article says, I can't see where there would be enough to charge him with murder.

I hope that for Sgt's sake, it did happen exactly as it was written and he'll walk away clean. Perhaps he can sue the pants off the DA who suffers from cranial rectal inversion at least to recover his legal costs he's put out.

SMH.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

I'm having a hard time swallowing this whole case..   if things happened exactly as the article says, I can't see where there would be enough to charge him with murder.

I hope that for Sgt's sake, it did happen exactly as it was written and he'll walk away clean. Perhaps he can sue the pants off the DA who suffers from cranial rectal inversion at least to recover his legal costs he's put out.

SMH.

Moosie

I concur moosie. I think the reason though is simply one word Maryland.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Adrenolin

• Life Member
A crazed man kicking in the door and advancing on him.. and I'm guessing his 2 children were in the house at the time! If something happens to him whose to protect the children? If the story follows true then clearly SD. Just the violent fact that the guy kicked in the door and illegally entered his home should make that clear. This Neubauer DA needs to be fired. I certainly hope the charges are dropped and wish Sgt. Pinkerton the best.

As the father of a young and basically defenseless child it is my responsibility, as it was Sgt. Pinkerton's, to protect their safety.

Knock on my door at 2am know I'll be armed.. If I answer it at all. Kick the door of my home in and well that's your mistake. Pretty sure this is the same 'common sense' approach for most others on this forum as well.

ESPMan

Apparently he goes on trial in February. I really hope he beats this.
The greatest threat to any society is its ignorance and inaction towards the evil that dwells within it.

Apparently he goes on trial in February. I really hope he beats this.

I am hoping he can sue for malicious prosecution. Maybe if prosecutors were held accountable then this crap would not happen as much.

seniorgeek

• Life Member
I am hoping he can sue for malicious prosecution. Maybe if prosecutors were held accountable then this crap would not happen as much.

I agree completely. This kind of stuff has to stop and the only way it will is to make it hit your pocketbook.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

I agree completely. This kind of stuff has to stop and the only way it will is to make it hit your pocketbook.

I go further and think that when someone is denied a ccdw like especially in Jersey or MD that the judge should be able to be sued if the person was in a position where a gun would have saved their life. Same with Delaware, but seems since that disgrace Oberly left ( greatly dislike the guy over a case from the 1990s) they got more friendly towards approvals.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch

I go further and think that when someone is denied a ccdw like especially in Jersey or MD that the judge should be able to be sued if the person was in a position where a gun would have saved their life. Same with Delaware, but seems since that disgrace Oberly left ( greatly dislike the guy over a case from the 1990s) they got more friendly towards approvals.

I extend the line of reasoning that because we are forced to go "naked" in MD, NJ, CA and most New England states, that those states should be liable if we are assaulted while there. Waiting to see if IL will recip with any other state.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

I extend the line of reasoning that because we are forced to go "naked" in MD, NJ, CA and most New England states, that those states should be liable if we are assaulted while there. Waiting to see if IL will recip with any other state.

I like that idea as well. You must remember that most of those states ( thank God Delaware does not) is worried about a future voter baby daddy getting killed if they try to harm us. They need the future generations of being dependent.

ESPMan

What gets me is that when the public, and the media for that matter, all cry foul, these prosecutors feel they have to stick to their guns because they feel its righteous or just. This is clearly self defense, yet the prosecutor maintains this man should have stopped this man at the door, called 911 and defended his wife and children, all in a matter of a few seconds, while stating that grabbing your firearm to meet a banging noise at your front door at 2am is bizarre behaviour. drop the pride already! This man's life is going to be ruined because one man cannot admit he is wrong. So sad.
The greatest threat to any society is its ignorance and inaction towards the evil that dwells within it.

What gets me is that when the public, and the media for that matter, all cry foul, these prosecutors feel they have to stick to their guns because they feel its righteous or just. This is clearly self defense, yet the prosecutor maintains this man should have stopped this man at the door, called 911 and defended his wife and children, all in a matter of a few seconds, while stating that grabbing your firearm to meet a banging noise at your front door at 2am is bizarre behaviour. drop the pride already! This man's life is going to be ruined because one man cannot admit he is wrong. So sad.

I wish prosecutors would look at the benefit to the taxpayers and the lack of future victims. One could be a prosecutors daughter or someone they care about. I know it makes me sound cold, but you chose to go harm people then you get the consequences.

One Baby mama was saying something sarcastically about "everyone going around with guns patrolling" trying to make out about the guy being vigilante. Well guess what I am sure it would be more safer that way. The police are minutes away when seconds count and you are ultimately responsible for your own safety.

ESPMan

I wish prosecutors would look at the benefit to the taxpayers and the lack of future victims. One could be a prosecutors daughter or someone they care about. I know it makes me sound cold, but you chose to go harm people then you get the consequences.

One Baby mama was saying something sarcastically about "everyone going around with guns patrolling" trying to make out about the guy being vigilante. Well guess what I am sure it would be more safer that way. The police are minutes away when seconds count and you are ultimately responsible for your own safety.

I agree. Many people wont talk about the practical views of a would-be criminal being killed in self defense because they feel its immoral. I value human life just as much as the next guy, but the lives I value are the ones that are willing to play nice, not harm people because they want something. Yes, there is a benefit to tax payers and yes, there will definately be less victims. Why can't the public see this?

I agree. Many people wont talk about the practical views of a would-be criminal being killed in self defense because they feel its immoral. I value human life just as much as the next guy, but the lives I value are the ones that are willing to play nice, not harm people because they want something. Yes, there is a benefit to tax payers and yes, there will definately be less victims. Why can't the public see this?

I agree wholeheartedly. The reality is that I think all of us value human life, but the people that are often shot in self defense by someone are more primitive that don't understand how society functions. Humans don't do some of the things animals like that do.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Has anyone heard any more about this and if charges are ongoing or have been dropped? I couldn't find any new info in a Google search.