Author Topic: 45ACP 0r 40 S&W ????  (Read 10884 times)

joep19934

• Life Member
45ACP 0r 40 S&W ????
« on: November 17, 2013, 06:47:46 PM »
I can't decide :(
I want a 45ACP but the Ammo is a bit more....
I would settle for a 40 S&W only because the Ammo is a bit cheaper anyone have any thoughts or Input on this.
Really digging the Springfield 40 XD anyone use this or have any personal feedback on this ?
I was also thinking Hi-Point either 45ACP or their 40 S&W just to get into one inexpensively as well.  ::)
I don't think its worth buying a Hi-Point if I want something smaller to use a my carry gun.
I know I know they're ugly and are heavy and look like a brick - but they do shoot well and do what they are supposed to! Put rounds down range !
From all the feedback I can find about Hi-Points on the 45ACP at least.
There is not a ton of recoil on it as well due to the weight.
Thank you for any help in advance.

Joe

ok I just found a EAA Witness Poly .45 Compact w/ 2 8 round mags for $349 Delivered ----- Is this something to look at ????
EAA WITNESS Polymer 40SW 4.5" Full Size - $313 Delivered ????
Ok not sure if its worth trying to bid on something on Gunbroker  >:(
Oh my so many Decisions
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 07:33:07 PM by joep19934 »
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits
BRIDGEVILLE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Member
Delaware State Sportsman's Association

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: 45ACP 0r 40 S&W ????
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 09:34:11 PM »
Hi Joe, from the reading I've done, it seems a lot of police forces are going with .40 caliber, or sometimes .357. Nice compromise of 9mm being a bit light on stopping power, and .45 having more kick and holding less rounds. Maybe you could go to Tatgetmaster and try some of the guns and calibers you are considering.

I've purchased guns and parts from Gunbroker with no issues. You could always ask on this board if you need help with an auction, or something seems to good to be true.
Good luck.
New Castle County

joep19934

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 11:13:19 PM »
Hi Joe, from the reading I've done, it seems a lot of police forces are going with .40 caliber, or sometimes .357. Nice compromise of 9mm being a bit light on stopping power, and .45 having more kick and holding less rounds. Maybe you could go to Tatgetmaster and try some of the guns and calibers you are considering.

I've purchased guns and parts from Gunbroker with no issues. You could always ask on this board if you need help with an auction, or something seems to good to be true.
Good luck.
I think TargetMasters is a bit farther then I'd like to travel but that's a good suggestion. Try before buy maybe !
Shooters Choice is closer maybe go see what they have used during the week !
Thanks
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 01:11:54 PM »
With today's ammo it really doesn't matter if you pack 9mm, .40S&W or 45ACP. Most of the leading defensive rounds work as well as the others today. Find whatever you like, train with it and make sure it feeds well in your gun. None have the true stopping power of rifle.

The cop who shot his assailant 14 times with .45ACP including 6 rounds to the heart, right lung, left lung, liver, diaphragm, and right kidney will attest to that fact. The assailant was not hopped up on drugs either.. Simply determined. Cop now carries 145 rounds of 9mm instead for more capacity and 90 rounds for his AR, that's no longer racked in the trunk but up front.

A couple years ago when I started thinking of carrying a sidearm I questioned which of the big 3 to use. Personally, in a sidearm, I decided I'd rather have more capacity then slightly larger holes. Hence I went with 9mm since their mags typically hold more, they weigh less & cost less allowing for more training and more capacity. It's entirely a personal decision but 9mm was my choice. I do own something in most calibers for range play, except .40S&W. I'd never say carrying any would be wrong.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 09:39:02 PM »
OP, buy the handgun you feel most confortable shooting. All from 9mm up will serve you well for self-defense, your confidence with the gun is more important than the 9mm vs .40 vs .45 debate.

joep19934

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 11:45:08 PM »
OP, buy the handgun you feel most confortable shooting. All from 9mm up will serve you well for self-defense, your confidence with the gun is more important than the 9mm vs .40 vs .45 debate.
Understood !
I have 3 different 40 S&W Candidates I'm looking at - I decided against a 45ACP only because the amount of rounds the one's I have been looking at hold or don't hold.
Beside it not too often I have extra $$$$ laying around. I'm calling it an Early Christmas present to myself  ::)  :o
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 01:50:53 AM »
Ruger SR40c.  Hard to beat.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Newlife503

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 11:35:20 PM »
Ruger SR40c.  Hard to beat.

Agreed, really nice gun.  It's next on my list I already have the 9mm.
NRA Life Member
DSSA Member
DE,PA,FL,UT CC Permits
New Castle County

FIREFIGHTER7248

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 12:26:34 PM »
Glock 23 was my choice.  I simply like a Glock and have big hands so I went with a 23 instead of a 27, also holds more rounds ;D
Sussex County

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 03:27:07 PM »
FNX-45 15 rounds / mag. 

Federal firearms will hook you up with whatever you decide on.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 04:04:21 PM »
Or, Chris can get you a nice Glock 29... 10mm ammo ain't the cheapest, but it's remarkably effective.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

joep19934

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 06:04:09 PM »
I ended up getting an EEA Witness 40 S&W but it will be a while before I get to use it at the Range.
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits

joep19934

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 01:47:25 AM »
~ Update ~

I finally took the EEA Witness 40 S&W down to the Range and I will say it surprised me.
It shot nicely and I was on Paper without issues.
It didn't have as much kick then my Kel Tek P11 I'm guessing due to the size and weight.
I really like this and I managed to customize a Blackhawk SERPA Sportster Holster for it.
I would carry this in the Winter no problem :)

18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 07:47:58 AM »
Congrats. The extra size and weight will reduce the felt recoil a lot. Those pocket guns are not fun to shoot really and present a lot of snap. I have the Ruger LCP 7+1 myself with the Mag-Guts mag kit.. available for the Kel-Tek also.

With a good holster and belt you should be able to easily carry it year round. With a Comp-Tac MTAC IWB holster and belt I carry a Walther PPQ 9mm all day, year round with just a t-shirt either tucked or untucked. I'm not a big guy either.  :)

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 11:19:52 AM »
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 01:47:11 PM by Hawkeye »

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County