Author Topic: Florida vs Utah CCW  (Read 13342 times)

Ginn

Florida vs Utah CCW
« on: November 23, 2013, 01:05:53 AM »
I just submitted my Delaware CCDW yesterday to NCC. Currently they are reporting a 4-6 month turn around.

As I was reading around on the boards here, it looks like I don't have to wait to obtain a FL CCW permit. My dilemma falls with deciding to go for a Utah CCW or a FL CCW. Looks like Utah covers all the states that Florida covers and more. The price for a Utah out of state permit is also lower if I am remembering correctly. If this is the case, why does everyone go for their Florida CCW instead of getting the Utah approved class to get a cheaper and more states covered permit from Utah?

Florida does offer a "Fast Track" process at their regional offices in the State of Florida, all for no extra charge. I have to check to see if they will process out of state applications there as well. I am taking the family to Disney World in two weeks and can easily take a drive to the office that is 24 minutes away from my resort. This is all pending that I would be able to schedule an appointment for while I am there.

I'm just not sure if I should fork out the extra money to get a Florida CCW instead of investing in a Utah CCW. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated and thank you for taking the time to read and help me with this!

- Ginn

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Re: Florida vs Utah CCW
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 01:32:34 AM »
The Utah permit requires training by a Utah certified instructor.  The training you take for Delaware is good for Florida but not Utah.  You will not be able to get the Utah permit until you have Delaware.  Also Florida will not accept a non resident Utah permit as Florida does not accept non resident permits from any state.

Florida is good for 7 years.

You might also consider Arizona

When you have Delaware you will want to get Pennsylvania.  $20 For 5 years and available over the counter in Lancaster
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

sethinde

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 03:07:54 AM »
adding AZ only gets you AZ, if you have DE and PA.  SC only recognizes in state AZ licenses not out of state so you wouldn't pick up South Carolina.  I need to look into more info on Utah.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 11:07:30 AM »
FL 112/7 yrs  112/7 yrs renewal
UT 50/5 yrs     15/5 yrs renewal  (.75 fee for renewing online  GREAT!!!)

Plus what the rest said....
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 11:34:28 AM »
As Clarence pointed out, UT is not a consideration until you receive your DE permit and have taken the required class. Per the iPhone CCW App: UT + DE gives you 37 states, FL + DE 33, PA + DE 34, FL only 29 since DE will not allow you to carry with FL alone. Check handgunlaw.us for more details. Be patient, Ginn, the wait is long but the result is well worth the effort.

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/CFnewapp.html
Non-resident proof of permit. If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a Utah permit. For a list of reciprocal states click here. Residency will be determined by your state-issued identification. If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 11:42:13 AM »
CB is correct.  Remember that the additional training for Utah will wipe out the cost difference with Florida. You will get more states with Utah however.

mrjam2jab

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 06:05:36 AM »
CB is correct.  Remember that the additional training for Utah will wipe out the cost difference with Florida. You will get more states with Utah however.

May wipe it for initial issue...but more than makes up for it in the cost of renewal.  Renewing UT AND AZ together is still cheaper than FL by itself. 
I'm not a gun nut.  I'm a 2nd Amendment enthusiast.

Clarence

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 12:32:43 PM »
MrJam:   I see your point there. I guess my question to the OP would be if he has already done his training.  If not then it would make sense to seek out a Utah certified instructor for your Delaware.  If he already has the Delaware training he may be able to cut a deal with a Utah instructor for just the Utah module as he would have the NRA Basic Pistol portion already.

In that case he would just need to wait for his Delaware then apply Utah.  Of course make a run up to Lancaster or Reading with his fresh Delaware and a 20 dollar bill

Ginn

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 09:44:25 PM »
I do already have all of my training, so I would need to await for the DE CCDW as well as do a Utah course. Found one about 45 minutes in to MD that is only $100 and I believe it covers Utah fingerprinting and submission of the application. I have been doing a lot of reading around on the different options of permits, so I may have gotten that one confused, but I don't think that I did.

I was unaware that Florida doesn't accept the Utah non-resident permit. Just looked at usacarry.com and it looks like that isn't an issue since the DE CCDW will fill that void.

The initial investment of the course and application for Utah is more than FL, but it is cheaper to renew and covers more states.

Some people have recommended getting the AZ as well as others, but DE & Utah covers them. Due to the ease and low expense, a PA permit will be obtained, but unsure if it will be renewed if I pursue a Utah permit.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 09:56:39 PM »
This maybe a question that @mrjam2jab can answer.  I've read that Philly police can get fussy about out-of-state CCW.  Getting a PA non-res doesn't add any states to the collection but seems worth the $20 as insurance. Rignt?
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Kilroy08

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 11:08:18 PM »
PA doesn't honor non-resident permits from Arizona, Florida, Maine, Mississippi, and Virginia.

I picked up PA and haven't done any other permits simply because I don't travel that much.
With DE and PA, I'm good for most of the southern East Coast.

mrjam2jab

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 10:29:26 PM »
Some people have recommended getting the AZ as well as others, but DE & Utah covers them. Due to the ease and low expense, a PA permit will be obtained, but unsure if it will be renewed if I pursue a Utah permit.

Recip agreements can change on a whim, as we're seeing here in PA.  Best to get as many permits as one can afford to try to counter those whims.

This maybe a question that @mrjam2jab can answer.  I've read that Philly police can get fussy about out-of-state CCW.  Getting a PA non-res doesn't add any states to the collection but seems worth the $20 as insurance. Rignt?

Technically Phily PD can't make any calls on reciprocity, that's why they have the AG in their pocket to do it for them.    Keep in mind legally carrying in PA with an out of state permit does NOT cover you in a school zone.  So if you visit PA regularly, it would benefit you to have a PA LTCF. 

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 10:41:49 PM »
I think one has to ask yourself where will I be traveling in the future? As for me there is no chance I would ever go to California, Oregon, Washington, or many other states west of the Miss. I have family in Wisconsin, And the trip there and back by car would be covered by my De. and Pa. permits. With the exception of Md. and Illinois. The deal is don't stop in those states, Or follow the Federal Gun Transport law. My Pa. non-resident cost $20.00 for 5 years. By then I'll probably be too old to drive out there anyhow.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

mrjam2jab

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 11:16:02 PM »
I think one has to ask yourself where will I be traveling in the future? As for me there is no chance I would ever go to California, Oregon, Washington, or many other states west of the Miss. I have family in Wisconsin, And the trip there and back by car would be covered by my De. and Pa. permits. With the exception of Md. and Illinois. The deal is don't stop in those states, Or follow the Federal Gun Transport law. My Pa. non-resident cost $20.00 for 5 years. By then I'll probably be too old to drive out there anyhow.

IL's new law permits driving, keeping it in the car if you get out, with loaded firearms as long as you are permitted to carry in home state. 

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 12:11:58 AM »

This is why I stick with those two permits.
Just drove to Colorado, down to New Mexico, and back... by avoiding Maryland, and not stopping in Illinois, I didn't have to unload my firearm at all.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon