Author Topic: Best CCW Flashlight  (Read 19317 times)

lems902

Best CCW Flashlight
« on: December 28, 2013, 06:57:15 PM »
I'm looking to spend some Christmas money on a new flashlight.  What is your #1 choice, and why?

Thanks, as always for your input - it always is helpful!
New Castle County
NRA Patron Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
DE/PA/FL CCDW permits

fdegree

Re: Best CCW Flashlight
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 09:46:23 PM »
Are you looking to attach a light to your firearm, or something hand held?

If you are looking for hand held, here are a few thoughts of mine that might help you narrow down your choices:

• 1. above 200 lumens...provides temporary "blindness" and/or disorientation of the bad guy, even in daylight
  • 2. strobe feature...provides temporary "blindness" and/or disorientation of the bad guy, even in daylight
  • 3. gnarled bezel...provides self-defense striking capabilities and glass breaking capabilities if necessary
  • 4. step down brightness...extends battery life during normal usage
  • 5. easy access buttons...consider how you might hold the flashlight, and ensure the buttons are located in the most logical and convenient spot
  • 6. ease of use...be able to step through the different features easily to activate the setting you need for that moment. Some lights remember the last setting and return to that setting when the light is turned on again. Others always turn on to the same setting every time
  • 7. batteries...there are quite a few different types of batteries that these high level torches use. Make sure you are happy with the type of battery yours uses, and the availability of that type of battery.  Also, consider rechargeable batteries and a charger for them...may not be worth it, but it doesn't hurt to look into it.

With all of that said, I have the Klarus XT-11

I also have a few cheaper torches ($10.00 - $20.00 range), and they work fine.  But, the higher quality of this torch, when compared to the others I have, is extremely noticeable.  There are lots of quality manufacturers out there...hopefully others will chime in with their experience and suggestions.

Also, this web site might be helpful: Candle Power Forum
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 09:48:27 PM by fdegree »
Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
-Unknown-

A battle avoided cannot be lost.
-Sun Tzu-

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 10:23:08 PM »
Suggest a Mini-Maglite. 6" long, puts out a strong adjustible beam and comes with a belt holster. Tough as nails.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 10:33:14 PM »
I like the Streamlight series. I have one of their large rechargeable flashlights (Stinger DS LED HP), as well as a small pistol mounted battery light (TLR-1). I also have one of their large floodlights (E-Flood LiteBox). Amazing. Website below, but Optics Planet also sells them.

http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/product/default.html?hid=2
New Castle County

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 12:03:37 AM »
I stick with Surefire, has exceeded my expectations.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
I'm kind of partial to a hurricane lamp hanging off the end of a double barrel shotgun.  I think I saw that in Django Unchained.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 08:43:09 PM »
There's an app for that. Swipe up from the bottom of your iPhone screen, and click the flashlight icon...
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

mrjam2jab

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 10:22:33 PM »
Suggest a Mini-Maglite. 6" long, puts out a strong adjustible beam and comes with a belt holster. Tough as nails.

I love my minimags....but would you believe they are only 14 lumens?  :-)

I don't have one....bit pricey...but the Nitecore SRT7 looks like a really decent light. 
I'm not a gun nut.  I'm a 2nd Amendment enthusiast.

Newlife503

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 10:29:16 PM »

I carry a sure fire as well I believe I paid 70 or 80 dollars for.  It extremely bright and the batteries have lasted considerably longer than my mag lights.  It also a bevel that can be used for self defense.
NRA Life Member
DSSA Member
DE,PA,FL,UT CC Permits
New Castle County

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 09:46:56 PM »

I agree. I have 2 and will be getting a third soon.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 10:41:04 PM »
Before this goes further, Lems902 never did say wether he wanted a light for hand carry or for the accessory rail on his carry gun?
What say Lems902?
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

jstgsn

• Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians.
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 10:54:10 PM »
Ok, I'll share a story, and in the telling, will let you know about the most important rule for carrying a flashlight.   Many years ago, as a rookie cop in Wilmington I was given my first chance to patrol in a marked unit alone.  It was a Sunday in the summer and there was little going on during day work.  Our regular officer working the western side of town (19 car) had called in sick.  I caught the tour and cheerfully went out on my own for the first time.  Around mid day I was dispatched to a small street near Delaware Ave and Union.  It was a miscellaneous complaint, no emergency.  I arrived and in front of the address was an older lady.  She told me she hadn't heard from her sister who lived at this address.  She was concerned enough she had purchased a pane of glass matching the glass panes of the back door.  She asked I force entry as it was really not like her sister to loose contact.  I broke the glass and unlocked the door.  The home was neat and tidy.  No signs of trouble.  Upstairs the sister looked into the closet and found her sisters luggage.  This concerned her greatly because if her sister was in town she always stayed in contact.  We returned to the first floor and she asked I check the basement, cautioning that the only light was from a draw string fixture to the right of the bottom of the stairs.  (now about flashlights).  It was mid-day Sunday on a bright summer day.  I did not have a flashlight.  I started down the basement steps, feeling my way with my hands as I inched along.  At the bottom I came in contact with a cement wall.  I called to the sister at the top of the step asking which direction to go.  She said there were two steps to the right and then one step to the pull string.  I turned to the right, (it's pitch black) and found the first step.  I paused and listened - nothing.  I stepped forward for the bottom step and - nothing, broken step, falling forward- into something solid that went away as soon as I hit it.  I listened - nothing - and it came back and crashed into me.  I struck out at it but it left again.  Again no noise.  And again it hit me and I grabbed at it and ended up grabbing a cold hand.  The cold hand pulled out of my grasp.  Still I heard nothing.   NOTHING!
Now I'm not sure if my watching "Children of the Corn" the night before had anything to do with it.   but......
I broke several fingernails going up the steps and the poor lady who had originally called later said I had screamed like a little girl coming out of the basement.  (If memory serves me, she fainted when I entered the kitchen.)  I do not remember screaming. 
Later we found “the woman of the house” had  hung herself at the bottom of the steps.  When I fell on the last step I set the body in motion.  As it swung back and forth it was hitting me, in the dark) and when I grabbed her hand, the swinging pulled it from my grip. 
From that day forward I had a flashlight.  I have had many flashlights!  If we are ever together and the room goes dark, do not touch me, until I turn on my flashlight.  Cause I’m armed and will shoot you if you don’t wait.  Once was enough.
So to make a long story short (I know – too late).  The only good flashlight is the one you can easily have with you all the time.  300 Lumens in your trunk is not helping right away. 
Whatever light you choose, make sure it is easy to carry and can suffice until you get to your mega beam.  Rumor has it mag lite has come out with a 230 lumen 2 AA mag-lite.  (Mag-Lite plus).  Waiting for mine in the mail. 
fred

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 12:17:45 AM »
Great story, and good advice!
New Castle County

lems902

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 02:00:03 AM »
Before this goes further, Lems902 never did say wether he wanted a light for hand carry or for the accessory rail on his carry gun?
What say Lems902?

Sorry folks!  I think a hand (or pocket) carry light for now!
New Castle County
NRA Patron Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
DE/PA/FL CCDW permits

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 05:03:11 AM »
I ordered that MagLite this afternoon from Amazon and should be here on Friday. Been looking for a good, strong and bright flashlight that had momentary, full on and strobe from a good name that didn't break the bank... and ...lasted longer then 1.5-2 hours. We've had Mags for years but I've been wanting more. Finally broke and ordered this one. Going to order a few sets of rechargeables and I'll see just how long it lasts this weekend. I got the Coyote colored one for something different from black.

http://www.amazon.com/MagLite-Mag-Tac-LED-Flashlight-Scalloped/dp/B009SKX17C

I've also been looking at a number of the SureFire lights but they certainly have a markup due to their Brand and I've heard from a few people their run-times are typically reaching.