Author Topic: Best CCW Flashlight  (Read 19192 times)

jstgsn

• Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians.
Re: Best CCW Flashlight
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 01:47:49 AM »
Just got an email saying they shipped my mag lite plus.  wooohooo.   Can't wait for 0-dark thirty after I receive it.  (kid in a candy shop) 
Recently I bought a Black and Decker SL3WAKB 4 AA spot light for $20 at Wally World.  It has a terrific beam out to 100 yards plus, and a lesser beam for walking etc, but it doesn't fit on the belt and is bulky for the pocket. 
I also got some of the 200 lumen 3AAA flashlights from Sam's Club for $27 + - dollars and they put out a great beam, working beam, and strobe, and do fit in the pocket, but I'm excited about this Mag lite. 
Got my fingers crossed.
If someone could share how to post pictures I could do so.
thanks
fred

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 03:26:04 AM »
I think a flashlight is really important to carry for the reasons in the story given. I carry an ultrafire with defense edge on it. I forget the brightness level, but it will blind you. I think I paid like $15 or $18 for it.

There is also a cheap Chinese min flashlight that depending on when they are on sale go from $4-$9. It has the flashing option for signaling, defense bezel and lights up. Anyone needs a basic light I sell the ones I have for $8 or $5 with a knife purchase.

"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

jstgsn

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 07:24:50 PM »
UPS just dropped it off and although it is daylight out, it still is bright.  I can't believe I actually looked at the high beam.  I have a blue spot in front of me all the time now.  (dumba$$)
I don't know how they do it, but to turn it on high aim it anyway but down.  To put on the low beam, aim it straight down.  Hopefully this blue spot will be gone by dark and I will be able to try it out.   ;D

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 08:01:33 PM »
Great to hear. Mine has shipped and should be here tomorrow though the ordered SureFire batteries not until Monday. Glad it comes with a set.

jstgsn

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 03:03:52 PM »
OK didn't go outside with it but in the house it's great.  The light fits in my leather belt carrier used with my older mag-lites and the pocket clip from my old light fits too.  The high beam is almost too bright for walking down hallways etc. but projects a wonderful smooth beam.  The beam is whiter than that of my Sams club 200 lumen light, which I thought before was a white beam, but it looks yellowish beside the Mag Lite.  When using it as a candle (lighting it and removing the head of the light, then sitting the light in the upside down head) it illuminates the room, and when using the pocket clip to attach it to a hat brim, provides a very large well illuminated area. 
The low setting is very similar to the original Mag-Lite of twenty years ago and provides plenty of light to move about inside or out.  As I said on an earlier post you can decide what power it comes on at by either holding the light pointing straight down for low or any other angle for high.  No more cycling through modes to get to the one you want.  (yea!) 
I am very pleased with it.  One last thing, the lights have a serial number on the side so you can prove it's yours. 
end. 

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 05:12:26 PM »
What was the model and how much was it again? I might check my supplier and see if they have them. I need to start carrying more flashlights to go with the other stuff I sell.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Knotacare

• NRA Endowment Member VFW Life Member
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 06:05:40 PM »
Are you looking to attach a light to your firearm, or something hand held?

If you are looking for hand held, here are a few thoughts of mine that might help you narrow down your choices:

• 1. above 200 lumens...provides temporary "blindness" and/or disorientation of the bad guy, even in daylight
  • 2. strobe feature...provides temporary "blindness" and/or disorientation of the bad guy, even in daylight
  • 3. gnarled bezel...provides self-defense striking capabilities and glass breaking capabilities if necessary
  • 4. step down brightness...extends battery life during normal usage
  • 5. easy access buttons...consider how you might hold the flashlight, and ensure the buttons are located in the most logical and convenient spot
  • 6. ease of use...be able to step through the different features easily to activate the setting you need for that moment. Some lights remember the last setting and return to that setting when the light is turned on again. Others always turn on to the same setting every time
  • 7. batteries...there are quite a few different types of batteries that these high level torches use. Make sure you are happy with the type of battery yours uses, and the availability of that type of battery.  Also, consider rechargeable batteries and a charger for them...may not be worth it, but it doesn't hurt to look into it.

With all of that said, I have the Klarus XT-11

I also have a few cheaper torches ($10.00 - $20.00 range), and they work fine.  But, the higher quality of this torch, when compared to the others I have, is extremely noticeable.  There are lots of quality manufacturers out there...hopefully others will chime in with their experience and suggestions.

Also, this web site might be helpful: Candle Power Forum
After reading this I purchased the upgraded version 820 lumens. It is very bright, easy to use & probably the best flashlight I own. It is now my constant walking companion now. Thanks for the info

jstgsn

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 12:43:38 AM »
Are you looking to attach a light to your firearm, or something hand held?

If you are looking for hand held, here are a few thoughts of mine that might help you narrow down your choices:

• 1. above 200 lumens...provides temporary "blindness" and/or disorientation of the bad guy, even in daylight
  • 2. strobe feature...provides temporary "blindness" and/or disorientation of the bad guy, even in daylight
  • 3. gnarled bezel...provides self-defense striking capabilities and glass breaking capabilities if necessary
  • 4. step down brightness...extends battery life during normal usage
  • 5. easy access buttons...consider how you might hold the flashlight, and ensure the buttons are located in the most logical and convenient spot
  • 6. ease of use...be able to step through the different features easily to activate the setting you need for that moment. Some lights remember the last setting and return to that setting when the light is turned on again. Others always turn on to the same setting every time
  • 7. batteries...there are quite a few different types of batteries that these high level torches use. Make sure you are happy with the type of battery yours uses, and the availability of that type of battery.  Also, consider rechargeable batteries and a charger for them...may not be worth it, but it doesn't hurt to look into it.

With all of that said, I have the Klarus XT-11

I also have a few cheaper torches ($10.00 - $20.00 range), and they work fine.  But, the higher quality of this torch, when compared to the others I have, is extremely noticeable.  There are lots of quality manufacturers out there...hopefully others will chime in with their experience and suggestions.

Also, this web site might be helpful: Candle Power Forum
After reading this I purchased the upgraded version 820 lumens. It is very bright, easy to use & probably the best flashlight I own. It is now my constant walking companion now. Thanks for the info

WHOA!   820 lumens.  I think nuclear blasts are 800 lumens.  I went into my darkened bedroom and turned on this mag lite at 240 lumens and thought I saw God.  I would think 820 lumens would not only illuminate an intruder, but melt anything plastic in his pockets.  I still see a blue light from when I turned this little mag lite on during the day time.  I'm fairly certain 820 lumens would have me walking around with a white and red cane.    Of course after saying that, ...   I want one.   ;D

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 01:16:13 AM »
My CCDW light is a 2000 lumen PAR46 LED spotlight.

Of course, it is mounted on my car... but I carry when I'm driving, so that counts, right?
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

jstgsn

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 01:35:16 AM »
Whoa, I'll bet there aren't any deer in your yard or neighborhood!!! ;D ;D ;D

That is SWEET!

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 01:52:20 AM »
Whoa, I'll bet there aren't any deer in your yard or neighborhood!!! ;D ;D ;D

That is SWEET!

We did come home one night, and there were 2 deer grazing at the back of the driveway.
So, I lit 'em up! I hope shining deer is legal on your own property...

I thought you'd like that car. If you want to buy one for yourself, I still have a Chrysler Fleet account and a cooperative dealership, so we can make that happen.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Adrenolin

• Life Member
MagLite Mag-Tac
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 08:09:53 AM »
jstgsn.. you got the Mag-Lite Pro correct? Takes 2 AA batteries? I don't see a Plus.

I just received a MagLite Mag-Tac LED flashlight that takes 2 CR123A Lithium Batteries, 2 Duracell Ultras (not Panasonic) were included which expire 2021. It provides 320 Lumens of blindingly bright pure white light. Says 4 hours of battery life though I haven't tested that yet. Weather and drop proof. Crowned bezel for striking. Full aluminum body. Very well constructed and has a good feel. A single click provides 1 second of light. A single click and hold provides momentary light until you release. 2 clicks gives you constant on and 3 clicks provides you with a mind-numbing strobe of 12 flashes per/second. Do not shine it on white paper on the desk in front of you!  ::) (waited for the wife to leave before I started laughing).

It's without a doubt the brightest flashlight I own. Tonight I took it out back, turned it on and could clearly see items along the treeline at 200 yards as everything was brightly lit. Indoors in a well lit room when turned on places you outdoors on a sunny summers afternoon. It will entirely light up a 13'x38' room if placed pointing upwards and turned on. By removing the front bezel it softens the glow in the room and allows the light to more evenly spread out. With the bezel removed, light turned on and pointed at a wall from 8' away a perfect soft (though extremely bright) even round light spreads out 14' wide. With the bezel on and shining it at my hand I simply cannot look at my hand!

I placed it in about 2' of water and left it there for roughly 30 minutes, activating the light a few times. Drying the exterior I opened both ends and the seals kept the water out. I did not perform a bounce/drop test. :) The carry/belt clip is adjustable however it requires a small tool/hex key, provided, to tighten. Its nice but also a part to misplace. Once the clip is tightened it does not move. The clip, front bezel and rear switch cap all provide stable, flat and smooth surfaces to rest the light on its side or either either end which is very nice.

It is a little larger then I had thought at a hair over 1" wide and 5.25" in length. As an everyday carry light for a civilian its a tad large IMO though fitted to a proper holster on a gun/utility belt certainly not impossible. Specs say it weighs in at 0.4Lbs. I weighed it with batteries and carry clip and it came in at 5.2oz ; 0.325Lbs. There is also no way to configure the order of light modes as is found on some more expensive models. jstgsn mentioned a serial on the outside of his Pro which I didn't find on the Mag-Tac however when removing the back cap where the batteries go there is what appears to be a serial number here inside the cap.

Overall I really like the light. Its extremely bright, comfortable to hold, easily enabled and well built. I don't think I'd EDC it due to its size though it is light enough. Mostly the length. I definitely see this one on the nightstand and general household duty as well as another purchased for the emergency pack I keep in the vehicles and possibly camping also. It will make an excellent emergency and general use flashlight so its IS a keeper!

Knotacare

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 12:30:50 PM »
This is a picture of my vet with all HID headlights on...believe me they are bright & blinding. I never drive it at night & they are for show.

This is a picture of the same car with the new 820 mag light on the hood..pretty impressive & blinding ;D

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2014, 07:26:46 PM »
@Knotacare, It looks like your Corvette is a 68 or 69.
I am correct?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Knotacare

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2014, 09:25:52 PM »
Yes a 68, 454, 5 spd convertible & I love driving it ;D It's my avatar